wireshell - an extendable ProcessWire command line interface

marcus

Just started toying with wireshell, this is great stuff. Some remarks about the 'new' command:

- Unless i'm missing something the new command will always install 'site-default'. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose between the bundled profiles that ship with PW?

- Currently the unused profiles (site-languages, site-classic etc.) are not being cleaned up after install.

- I can't exactly figure out how or where ('timezone' => "366"??), but the timezone in config.php after install seems to be 'Europe/Zurich'. Not a big deal but this does not make a lot of sense as some kind of default.

Keep up the good work guys!

• Like 1

Unless i'm missing something the new command will always install 'site-default'. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose between the bundled profiles that ship with PW?

I don't recall, but it is not that hard if not made.

There is an option --profile={value}, but it isn't working for me with the default profiles of the download package. When I try it, I get those error messages:

D:\TEMP\pw2>ws new pw2 --profile=site-languages

Downloading ProcessWire...
 Preparing project...

Extracting profile...

[RuntimeException]
  The profile can't be installed because the downloaded package is corrupted
  or because the installer doesn't have enough permissions to uncompress and
  rename the package contents.
  File "site-languages" does not exist

I have also tried with --profile=languages instead of site-languages.

The downloaded package isn't corrupted, without setting the profile option it works perfect, but installes only the default profile automatically. :)

A little update on timing (of 0.4.0):

Right now I'm drowning in client work and simultaneously many PR's are coming in (which is totally cool!). Since there's a public holiday mid-May here in Germany, I hope to find the time to release 0.4.0 then, together with a microsite containing better documentation (which is necessary as the last posts here proove), some info on contributing, gathered knowledge especially on Windows and MAMP/Mac usage.

Also, clsource has raised the totally valid point of testing. While Symfony Console is more than ready I'm not sure how to mock/fake/implement the ProcessWire API layer (but also I'm kind of novice in testing). Has anyone an idea of how to do so (maybe it's much easier than I think)? Either way - thanks on input! :)

Edited by marcus
  • Like 3

Hi Hari,

ah, ok. That's great. So I can pass it the path to a custom profile in a zip archive to install this instead of one from the PW distribution. Thanks for making it. :)

Totally agreed, great stuff. It is described in the docs as well: https://github.com/marcus-herrmann/wireshell#custom-profile-processwire-installation-%CF%80

On top of that i still think it would be a neat addition to be able to also choose from one of the bundled profiles:

site-beginner
site-blank
site-classic 
site-default 
site-languages

Once again, no critique, just an idea. Great work.

• Like 1

Two suggestions. If I make a mistake, writing the db password for instance, I have to start all over from the download. Even if I noticed that I typed the wrong info, there's nothing I can do to correct it.

1. allow to correct wrong input before submitting

2. create a command to install from the last download

I really like this project, but something that i got annoyed is that there is no uniformity how command name:action pair is formed.

I don't personally care which way they are but currently there are:

mod:enable

backup:db

I would like to see that it's either of, where it's name:action or action:name pair, so i can rely on some logic.

Not a biggie but still :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I would like to see that it's either of, where it's name:action or action:name pair, so i can rely on some logic.

Agreed. Such things are no deal-breakers, but annoying nevertheless.

Additionally, since we're (kind of) discussing smaller details here, what's with the "mod" part -- why not call it "module"? Seems like it's the only thing that gets shortened, and thus looks like another API inconsistency to me. Again: small, but annoying  :)

I found another one for ya: show:version. Show is a verb, version is a noun. So it is now almoast equal amount of right commands and annoying ones)

I guess we shall just name things different. First word is a something more general, second is something less general inside of that more general realm. Things will be more clear as soon as we have not only backup:db, but also backup:files and backup:site, backup:templates and backup:all.

I would also vote for backup:and-upload-to-my-live-server ))

Thanks for all the input on this. The "mod" namespace is renamed to "module" already on develop branch, the "show" namespace in abandoned in favor of a more generic "status" command, also available on dev.

I agree with Ivan when it comes to "general:specific" in general and the "backup" namespace in particular - although it's just the :db command right now, I plan to extend this namespace with :all (db and all scripts), :files (just /site/assets/files). But in the big picture I'll try to reach a naming scheme close to the API - modules will never by named plugins ;) and I don't really know why exactly I shortened "modules" to "mods" down in the past...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
I missed some more user commands, pls have a look here (again mismatched pull request number  :angry: ).

**user:create**

- adds possibility to set a password

**user:list**

- list all users

- optional: limit output by role

**user:delete**

- delete users by username, comma separated

**user:update**

- updates username, role, email, password for an existing user

wireshell 0.4.0 is out  :) 

Big update with a lot of contributed commands and interfaces: "Module Download" command, extended "Module Enable" command, enhanced "User Create", added "User Delete", "User List" and "User Update" (thanks @justb3a). "Module Generate" command using modules.pw (thanks @nico), added "Status" command listing information on development, ProcessWire installation, image libraries (thanks @horst). wireshell's code and documentation were extended/cleaned up by @clsource. Also 0.4.0 introduced documentation microsite, wireshell

Sorry, justbea and clsource, I seem to have messed up the PR's in a way that you aren't listed as project contributors on the GitHub page :(

• Like 9

Hi all, really great work.

Why don't you use this logo you have posted before? I think it is much better then the one on the website.

ws_draft.gif

You're right - fixed. That other logo was actually an older version.

After upgrade I get this error:Fatal error:

Can't use method return value in write context in /Users/lpa/.composer/vendor/wireshell/wireshell/src/Helpers/PwUserTools.php on line 71

What might go wrong?