Svet

Dear community, I discovered an annoying and unpleasant circumstance....http://www.newmarketnhhistoricalsociety.org/

In the evenings (Eastern time), probably due to the sluggish server both front and admin pages load incompletely.

On the front end the footer often fails to load, and on the admin end pages often come up without "Save" button.

It is really frustrating because I have to reload the page, some times many time until I get the whole page with "Save" button

What will be even more frustrating is when the customer will ask me about this!!

Never saw this on my local machine so I just assume its the server, but it would be better I guess if it took longer to load but the page would arrive complete eventually. I also don't think I ever saw this until upgrading Processwire a week ago, but I only do updates once a year

Please help with your advice, is there anything I can do on my end?

Thank you,

Svet

Can you please provide some information regarding your site structure (Versions of PHP, ProcessWire, Apache, MySQL, Bootstrap)?  Is this website on Shared Hosting, VPS or Dedicated Serve? 

In the evenings (Eastern time), probably due to the sluggish server both front and admin pages load incompletely.

On the front end the footer often fails to load, and on the admin end pages often come up without "Save" button.

Can you please provide a little more information regarding when you first noticed the slowness and footer issues?  What site specific modules do you have installed?

cstevensjr,

Site is hosted on shared linux server with FastWebPro Indian guys :)

Apache version 2.2.29

PHP version 5.3.29

MySQL version 5.1.73-cll

Site: Bootstrap - latest (v3.3.4), ProcessWire - I installed latest stable, noticed errors, rolled back to 2.4.0 it was running before but the problem persists.

There actually no modules I am using...everything is done with templates.

First I noticed this when I migrated updates from my local machine to live site and then was trying to post a few things, half the time page loaded without "Save" button.

Content is maintained by my customer, so I was going to ask him tonight if he ever saw this before and when did it start.

Right now it is 3 PM and everything is running without a hitch but this is a hobbyist site so naturally most updating and visits are happening in the evening o_0

Thank you for looking into this, I had problem with those guys before and it usually is hard unless I can tell them what is going on...

noticed errors

Can you please let us know what these errors are and what versions were you running on your local install?  Did you have any of these problems on your local install?

half the time page loaded without "Save" button.

Can you provide a little more information on this?  What did you do to get around this?

From a strictly technical point, It would be better if you could upgrade your hosted PHP version from 5.3.29 (to PHP 5.4.x, 5.5.x or 5.6x) and possibly have your Apache at the 2.4 branch. I'm also guessing that you already understand that you will never get optimal performance on a Shared Hosting platform.

Don't get me wrong, It doesn't mean that things can't work with this configuration.  You just need to be aware that there are going to be limitations.

Can you let us know what are your load times at different times of day?  Are you having this loading problem on different web browsers or OS platforms?

Is this the only web hosting company that you deal with?  Are you able to load an online dev version of the site on another web host?

• Like 2

cstevensjr,

This is my wamp stuff:

Apache Version :2.4.2   PHP Version :5.4.3 MySQL Version :5.5.24   Never had a problem on the local machine. Also, the load time is usually fine. Yes, we understand that there is not much to be expected from a cheapy shared hosting still I would like to save the option of moving the site for last resort. This is not a commercial site so we would like to keep $$$ down To get around 'no Save button' issue, I reload the page until it comes up complete (occasionally I have to give up and come back earlier in a day, when it works fine)  

Wanze

This is the typical errors I wave been getting in my inbox for a while (over a year). I always assumed that my customer is trying to upload really big images :) But now I see that it is not the case.

Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/Modules.php line 980)
2015-03-16 23:38:51    ?      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/Modules.php line 980)
2015-03-16 23:38:56    ?      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/WireSaveableItems.php line 141)
2015-03-17 22:30:43    guest      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/DatabaseQuery.php line 86)
2015-03-22 15:28:35    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) (line 487 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageEdit/ProcessPageEdit.module)
2015-03-22 15:36:43    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) (line 487 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageEdit/ProcessPageEdit.module)
2015-03-22 17:53:45    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) (line 131 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/WireUpload.php)

I am not sure how to check for js errors

Thank you

Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted

This is generally the error for to big images. 

Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away

This seems to be more likely a serious issue. Maybe check back with the hosting company why this happens.

I am not sure how to check for js errors

Look at the console of the browser development tools when you're on a page which is affected by your issue. It will show you all the errors happening there.

• Like 1

Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/Modules.php line 980)

2015-03-16 23:38:51    ?      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/Modules.php line 980)

2015-03-16 23:38:56    ?      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/WireSaveableItems.php line 141)

2015-03-17 22:30:43    guest      Error:     Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/DatabaseQuery.php line 86)

2015-03-22 15:28:35    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) (line 487 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageEdit/ProcessPageEdit.module)

2015-03-22 15:36:43    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) (line 487 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageEdit/ProcessPageEdit.module)

2015-03-22 17:53:45    site_admin      Error:     Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) (line 131 of /home/newma121/public_html/wire/core/WireUpload.php)

You may need to look at and possibly increase the max_allowed_packet variable in MySQL.

• Like 3

cstevensjr,

I took your suggestion to tech support @ hosting and it seems like everything works fine!

We see max_allowed_packet in the configuration is 16M, for now we have increased to 32M.

Of coarse it took multiple emails to actually get them to do it :) Shared hosting as a huge pain but can u beat $70/yr?

Thank you so much everybody!!!

• Like 1