Output name from select field

asbjorn

Background

I have a home.php template in which I have a dropdown select box. From this dropdown I am able to choose between my menus. I have Menu Builder installed. I created a field type with the name show_menu and type Page. Then I set the Menu Builder folder as parent of selectable pages.

Back end / admin

It seems to work back end. All my menus are listed when I edit a page that has the home.php template.

Front end / home.php

Here is my problem. I am trying to get the name from the selected menu (from back end) to show in my code. For a while I was able to get the ID, then I got all 3 IDs (I have 3 menus to choose from).

The menu I want to show is named home-menu, labeled Home Menu.

In the following code I have included both a non-working line as line 16. And a working line as line 17. But line 17 is "manual" and not connected to the back end editing, which is what I am trying to do. So can anybody help me with the right code line to output the name for Home Menu?

(I tried to work with the ID, but got fatal errors. Those errors disappeared when I manually use line 17.)

<?php $homemenu = $modules->get('MarkupMenuBuilder');

$menuname = $page->show_menu->select_value;
$menuname = "home-menu";

$options = array(
   'has_children_class' => 'has_children',
   'current_class' => 'current',
   'menu_css_id' => $menuname,
   'menu_css_class' => 'nav',
);
echo $homemenu->render($menuname, $options);
?>

Btw. I am no PHP guru, I get by mostly through copy/paste simple snippets. Please ask me if I lack any details or am unclear on my problem. This is my first post, so please correct me if I am posting wrong or something.

i don't get this:

$menuname = $page->show_menu->select_value;

if you want the name then it would be:

$menuname = $page->show_menu->name;

you could also setup a fallback in case you haven't made show_menu required, like:

$menuname = $page->show_menu->name ?: "home-menu";

oops - almost forgot: welcome to the forums, and to processwire! :)

Edited by Macrura
  • Like 1

Thank for you reply, Macrura. I also tried what you suggested, but without any luck. I am not able to get the name with that code line. I only get the ID from $menuname, using this line:

$menuname = $page->show_menu;

The Menu Builder module page says I can render with the ID. But I do not get it to work with this line:

echo $homemenu->render($menuname, $options);

I get it to work with this:

echo $homemenu->render(1045, $options);

where 1045 is the ID for home-menu.