Change default language for homepage

bcartier

you can do it after the install, if you have installed a single language site profile.

Most of us have created their personal starter site profile, I think. It has all settings for default language (inkl.language pack), and the modules, one never can miss, etc.

To export a site profile is easy with the site profile exporter module.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horst said:

Most of us have created their personal starter site profile, I think.

Thank you for the directions.  Exactly what I needed.

I just re-installed the multi language option.  Renamed the default language English (en) to Dutch (nl).  Installed a dutch language pack over the old English one.  Deleted the German and Finnish pre-installation and I installed French as the second language.  Before I forget: I changed the page names on the homepage too (in the settings tab).
Except for some minor translations issues that can be fixed, there is no sign of English anymore.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 13/03/2015 at 9:29 AM, horst said:

A bit OT, but if you can plan the languages hirarchy right from the start of a new site, you can do it this way:

• enable languages support

• set Title / Label of the default language to your desired none english native language, (e.g. 'Deutsch' (German))

• drop in the none english language pack (for admin backend) into the default language, (e.g. german langpack)

• add a new language to it and drop in a language pack for any none english language or simply don't drop in a language pack to get the english version (but not as the default one!)

As a nice sideeffect every new user in your system gets the native language per default without have it to select from the list.

So, yes, this is no solution if you once have set it up and need to switch the default language afterwards, but just want to note it.

Thanks horst. Couldn't work out how to do this, and was early enough in the process to re-start.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I took @bcartier's code from this post and made a configurable module from it.

EDIT: to make it work, you need to follow 2 steps (thanks to @PWaddict for pointing it out):

1. Add a page name to the default language on the Home page
  2. On Languages Support - Page Names module at "Default language homepage URL is same as root URL?" select "No - Root URL performs a redirect to: /name/"

change-default-frontend-lang.png.a23bdeaf2a364995919ce3605bfeaa0a.png

You can find the module attached.

I can confirm that the redirection to a non-default language works on PW 3.0.172

DefaultFrontendLanguage.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, gebeer said:

I can confirm that the redirection to a non-default language works on PW 3.0.172

DefaultFrontendLanguage.zip 1.35 kB · 49 downloads

Thanks Gebeer, that was definitely a time saver. Works fine for me. Couldn't go into the trouble of swapping languages by default, not with all content already up there.

• 2 years later...
On 5/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, gebeer said:

DefaultFrontendLanguage.zip 1.35 kB · 259 downloads

I just installed the module on PW 3.0.229 and I chose the alt language as default but there is no redirect.

EDIT: I had to do few more things to actually work:

2. On Languages Support - Page Names module at "Default language homepage URL is same as root URL?" select "No - Root URL performs a redirect to: /name/"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PWaddict said:

I just installed the module on PW 3.0.229 and I chose the alt language as default but there is no redirect.

EDIT: I had to do few more things to actually work:

Thank you for pointing it out. I added these instructions to my original post.

• Like 1