Fieldtype Select External Option

kixe

If you use latest dev https://github.com/kixe/FieldtypeSelectExtOption/tree/dev you could use the following code (since version 1.1.3)

$news = $pages->find("template=news_detail");
$arr = [];
foreach($news as $n) {
  echo $n->tag; // returns a string with all values separated by pipe, example: '45|67|89|22'
  $arr = array_merge($arr,explode('|',$n->tag));
} 

or (since version 1.1.5)

$arr = [];
foreach($news as $n) $arr = array_merge($arr,$n->tag->getKeys());
var_dump(array_unique($arr));

// or
foreach($news as $n) var_dump($n->tag->each('yourPropertyOfSelectExtOption'));
// all table columns are provided as property except those named with reserved words
foreach($news as $n) var_dump($n->tag->each('row'));

or simpler

var_dump($selected->each('tag.label')); // return multiple array of each label of field 'tag' of each page in the PageArray
Edited by kixe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using 1.1.5 on PW 2.6.19 and the table is setup, the selector appears on the page edit form, I can chose "Bob" from the list, save the page and see the data in the database. What I can't do is make the selection via API. Let's say we're using id numbers and usernames and that Bob is #3. I should be able to do $page->myfield = 3 shouldn't I?

Thanks.

Your example works only with echo.

echo $page->myfield; // return the string value, in your case '3'
$page->myfield->value; // return (int)3
$page->myfield->label; // return (string)'Bob';

any value of another column of you table is accessible too with
$page->myfield->columnname;

I'm not trying to access the data from the external table.

I'm trying to build new pages (or update existing ones) using the API.

Doing things manually from the admin's page editor...

"the selector appears on the page edit form, I can chose "Bob" from the list"

I need to be able to do that via the API, so that when somebody views the page, "Bob" will already be selected.

How to set a fieldvalue via API:

/* Inputfieldtype Select */
$page->of(false);
$page->myfield->value = 3;
$page->save('myfield');

/* Inputfieldtype SelectMultiple (add a value) */
$v = new SelectExtOption;
$v->value = 3;
$page->of(false);
$page->myfield->add($v);
$page->save('myfield');

/* this works for both, but will replace existing values */
$page->of(false);
$page->myfield = array(3,7,9); // in case of single select only 1 item in array
$page->save('myfield');
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Can you provide an example of the filter function? Here's my field being born:

$f = new Field();
      $f->type = wire('modules')->get('FieldtypeSelectExtOption');
      $f->set("name", "iu_template")->set("label", "Template");
      $f->option_table = "templates";
      $f->option_value = "id"; $f->option_label = "name";
      $f->filter('id not in (2,3,4,5)');
      $f->set("required",1);
      $f->set("tags", "-impupd")->set("columnWidth",50)->save();

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kixe said:

@cjx2240 Welcome to the forums. The Module pulls selectable Inputfields from InputfieldPage module. Go to the module settings of InputfieldPage and add the Inputfieldtypes you want to have available in Fieldtype SelectExtOption.

Thanks for the reply, so am I missing something? See attached.

I appreciate the module doesn't claim to be 3.x compatible but it's just so close!

select_ext_1.png

select_ext_2.png

• Like 1

I made an update 4 month ago to solve this. Unfortunately it hasn't been changed on github, but it is marked as changed in my desktop tool. Don't know why. Anyway I will make an update today. I have the module running under 3.0.39 without problems.

Please update to 1.2.1

Edited by kixe
Fixed
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello @kixe

I have installed your module (latest version) on ProcessWire 3.0.36. However, when I create a new field using the FieldtypeSelectExtOption, ProcessWire tries to load the field edition page for the new field (e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/cms/setup/field/edit?id=111), but fails to do so a few seconds of waiting. In Google Chrome I get "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". I'm not seeing any error(s) (regarding this) logged in ProcessWire's error log and I have $config->debug set to true. I should clarify that the script is not reaching max_execution_time. Apparently what happens is that, somehow, the connection with the page is reset.

This is the first time a ProcessWire module behaves this way for me. Do you have any ideas as to what may be happening?

@efiguerola

Sorry for the late answer. I cannot reproduce this error. This is a Chrome specific error message, which could be related to firewall settings or other security settings on your machine. Since there is no Error logged in the system, everything is working as it should.
Could you please try out with other browsers: Firefox, IE or Safari. What happens there?
Did you make any settings, or does this happen immediately after creation of the field?

• 1 month later...

Here is a brief reference to the last updates:

• Value Preselection
    Since version 1.2.3 it is possible to pre-select a value if the field is required.
  • Language Labels
    In a multilanguage environment, as of version 1.2.4, it is possible to assign a special column to each installed language in the database table to pull the option labels  from. Of course with fallback to the default language.
  • 0 allowed as value
    Since version 1.2.5 int 0 is an allowed value

If Language Support is installed but no additional languages created then there is a PHP error:

PHP Warning: Division by zero in ...\FieldtypeSelectExtOption.module:504

Probably not something that happens very often.

• Like 2

On 2.3.2017 at 9:30 AM, Robin S said:

If Language Support is installed but no additional languages created then there is a PHP error:

PHP Warning: Division by zero in ...\FieldtypeSelectExtOption.module:504

Probably not something that happens very often.

@Robin S
I fixed this and other stuff you mentioned in this post:

It was a bit more complicated than I expected, since PW really doesn't provide '0' as value in a SelectFieldtype.

• Like 2

Pushed another update with new function added which allows to modify the option labels via hook.

Scenario: You want to provide a select drop down for image fields stored in another page as described in this post

In the next step we want to provide labels pulled from the description field (default language in multilanguage environment) instead from the data field providing ugly file names. How can we achieve that?

The description is stored as a json string. We need to extract the label from it. To do so choose 'description' as option label and put the following hook in your /site/ready.php

$this->addHookAfter('FieldtypeSelectExtOption::label', function ($e) {
    $array = json_decode($e->return, true);
    $e->return = $array[0]; // image description in default language
});

Function label() always provides the default lable, the option value, the page to which the field is assigned and the specific field that uses the field type to facilitate customizations.
Default return is the unmodified label pulled from the database column.
ATTENTION: Arguments changed since Version 1.3.5

// Version >= 1.3.5
	$optionLabel = $e->arguments[0];
	$optionValue = $e->arguments[1];
	$page = $e->arguments[2];
	$field = $e->arguments[3];
});

Edited by kixe
modified arguments for label()
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, kixe said:

The description is stored as a json string.

In a single-language site the description is just a plain string, so a user would want to modify the hook accordingly.

I like this new feature allowing the select option label to be determined in a hook, but I wonder if choosing a single column in the field config makes the hookable method too limited. For example, in the case of using the description column as a label for an images select, having the label fall back to the sort integer if an image has no description is worse than having the image filename. Is there a way to conditionally grab a different column value from the row inside the label hook? So you could for example get the "data" (filename) column if the description column is empty.

Not sure if it's practical but I think it would be cool if there was a hookable method that receives an argument of all the row columns as an array lets you return both the option value and label.

• Like 1

On 5.3.2017 at 3:29 AM, Robin S said:

Not sure if it's practical but I think it would be cool if there was a hookable method that receives an argument of all the row columns as an array lets you return both the option value and label.

@Robin S

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree and changed the 3d argument. It receives now the row related to the value.

ATTENTION: Since Module version 1.3.5 you have access to all row columns as described here

wire()->addHookAfter('FieldtypeSelectExtOption::label', null, function ($e) {
    $optionLabel = $e->arguments[0];
    $optionValue = $e->arguments[1];
    $row = $e->object->row($field->name, "id=$page->id");
});

/**
 * select field for images in a multilanguage environment
 * label pulled from image description in default language with fallback to filename
 */
    $array = json_decode($e->return, true);
    $row = $e->object->row($field->name, "id=$page->id");
    $e->return = $array[0]? $e->return = $array[0]: $row['data'];
});

Edited by kixe
modified arguments for label()
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can someone clarify for me if the external DB is read each time an instance of this field is used or is the external DB used only during initial creation and filling of the values and those values/labels are stored in PW? 

thank you

If you use an external DB to generate the select field the DB is queried to generate the field and also if you access the value via Api.
Depending on your setup (single/ mutliple) the returned value is either an object of class SelectExtOption or a WireArray of  SelectExtOption items. This module does not 'import' anything.

The value reference is of type integer and stored in the PW Database.