[SOLVED] Pass data to custom user method

gebeer

Hello,

I want to add a custom method to the user object and need to pass some data ( an array called $params) to the method when I call it.

I will call the method like this

$user->saveprofile($params);

The method takes that data and saves it to a user profile page.

Only I don't know how to pass that data to my custom method.

This might be a silly question. Please forgive me, but I am fairly new to OOP and PW modules/hooks development.

This is what I have so far (taken off examples from here):

public function init() {
        // init() is called when the module is loaded.
        $this->addHook('User::saveprofile', $this, 'UserSaveProfile'); 
    }

public function UserSaveProfile($event) { //how to pass my $params array to this method 

// Get the user object
        $user = $event->object;

// get user data - this is where I am stuck 
        $userData = 

//  condition and actions
        if($user->hasRole("frontend")) {

//create and save user profile page

$this->message("Userprofile page for user " . $user->name . "has been created");
        }
    }

I tried to find examples of how to do that but could not find anything related in the forum.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you both, LostKobrakai and Soma !

I call my custom method with

$user->saveprofile($params)

and can access the data in my method with

$userData = $event->arguments(0);

PS: Missing the Solved Button

I would like to mark this as solved. But the "Mark Solved" Button is missing.  I just used it on another thread of mine. But here it is not available. I opened the thread, so I should see this button?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      This module lets you add some custom menu items to the main admin menu, and you can set the dropdown links dynamically in a hook if needed.
      Sidenote: the module config uses some repeatable/sortable rows for the child link settings, similar to the ProFields Table interface. The data gets saved as JSON in a hidden textarea field. Might be interesting to other module developers?
      Custom Admin Menus
      Adds up to three custom menu items with optional dropdowns to the main admin menu.
      The menu items can link to admin pages, front-end pages, or pages on external websites.
      The links can be set to open in a new browser tab, and child links in the dropdown can be given an icon.
      Requires ProcessWire v3.0.178 or newer.
      Screenshots
      Example of menu items

Module config for the menus

Link list shown when parent menu item is not given a URL

Advanced
      Setting child menu items dynamically
      If needed you can set the child menu items dynamically using a hook.
      Example:
      $wire->addHookAfter('CustomAdminMenus::getMenuChildren', function(HookEvent $event) { // The menu number is the first argument $menu_number = $event->arguments(0); if($menu_number === 1) { $colours = $event->wire()->pages->findRaw('template=colour', ['title', 'url', 'page_icon']); $children = []; foreach($colours as $colour) { // Each child item should be an array with the following keys $children[] = [ 'icon' => $colour['page_icon'], 'label' => $colour['title'], 'url' => $colour['url'], 'newtab' => false, ]; } $event->return = $children; } }); Create multiple levels of flyout menus
      It's also possible to create multiple levels of flyout submenus using a hook.

For each level a submenu can be defined in a "children" item. Example:
      $wire->addHookAfter('CustomAdminMenus::getMenuChildren', function(HookEvent $event) { // The menu number is the first argument $menu_number = $event->arguments(0); if($menu_number === 1) { $children = [ [ 'icon' => 'adjust', 'label' => 'One', 'url' => '/one/', 'newtab' => false, ], [ 'icon' => 'anchor', 'label' => 'Two', 'url' => '/two/', 'newtab' => false, 'children' => [ [ 'icon' => 'child', 'label' => 'Red', 'url' => '/red/', 'newtab' => false, ], [ 'icon' => 'bullhorn', 'label' => 'Green', 'url' => '/green/', 'newtab' => false, 'children' => [ [ 'icon' => 'wifi', 'label' => 'Small', 'url' => '/small/', 'newtab' => true, ], [ 'icon' => 'codepen', 'label' => 'Medium', 'url' => '/medium/', 'newtab' => false, ], [ 'icon' => 'cogs', 'label' => 'Large', 'url' => '/large/', 'newtab' => false, ], ] ], [ 'icon' => 'futbol-o', 'label' => 'Blue', 'url' => '/blue/', 'newtab' => true, ], ] ], [ 'icon' => 'hand-o-left', 'label' => 'Three', 'url' => '/three/', 'newtab' => false, ], ]; $event->return = $children; } }); Showing/hiding menus according to user role
      You can determine which menu items can be seen by a role by checking the user's role in the hook.
      For example, if a user has or lacks a role you could include different child menu items in the hook return value. Or if you want to conditionally hide a custom menu altogether you can set the return value to false. Example:
      $wire->addHookAfter('CustomAdminMenus::getMenuChildren', function(HookEvent $event) { // The menu number is the first argument $menu_number = $event->arguments(0); $user = $event->wire()->user; // For custom menu number 1... if($menu_number === 1) { // ...if user does not have some particular role... if(!$user->hasRole('foo')) { // ...do not show the menu $event->return = false; } } });  
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/CustomAdminMenus
      https://processwire.com/modules/custom-admin-menus/
    • By opalepatrick
      I see old posts saying that repeaters are not the way to go in Custom Process Modules. If that is the case, when using forms (as I am trying to do) how would one tackle things like repeat contact fields where there can be multiple requirements for contact details with different parameters? (Like point of contact, director, etc) or even telephone numbers that have different uses?
      Just for background I am creating a process module that allows me to create types of financial applications in the admin area (no need to publish any of this, pure admin) that require a lot of personal or company information.
      Maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly?
    • By Clarity
      Hello everyone!
      I'm new here and I want to set an user avatar to my profile. However, I don't see any option in my personal cabinet that can do it. Could you please tell me if there are there some requirements for user for setting an avatar or I'm missing something?
    • By theoretic
      Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!
      I've got an interesting case concerning access to current user page. It appears that PW somehow limits access to the frontend page of current user.
      I'm speaking about a specific PW configuration. We have two kind of users: 'regular' users with native user template and member users with specific member template and specific members parent page (by the way, it's so cool that PW allows to use custom user templates and custom parent for certain user pages!). So a member with name Joe has a page with member template and url like /members/joe .
      The members template has some access limitations: only member users can see pages with member template. It works like a charm in most situations. For example, user Bill (who has member template and is logged in) can browse a page with url /members/ann which also is a member page with member template.
      And now, meet the glitch! The above-mentioned Bill cannot get to his own page /members/bill ! PW generates 404 page instead.
      I see no reason for this behavior. From my point of view any member should have access to any member page in this situation. What am i doing wrong? Any advice is welcome!
    • By Vineet Sawant
      Hi,
      I'm trying to import some heavy data into Processwire, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it.
      Usually I use CSV to Pages plugin, but this time the data is too heavy(~40k rows with 10+ columns of excel sheet), thus this plugin can't help.
      I also tried Tasker plugin but I can't seem to go through the setup itself, it requires some template setup but I'm totally clueless about how to do it, so that plugin is not of any use either.
      I wanted to know from you guys how you do it and in future what would be the best way to migrate thousands of rows of data in to PW.

Thanks.