Finnish (fi-FI)

apeisa

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have planning to update the language pack for ages. I do it next week when I get back to office. It would be great to get some contributors. I have avoiding translating the parts that are only for superusers, but using PW that has languages mixed is kind of frustrating. So I think we should aim for 100% coverage.

Also, I am open on how to translate certain terms, like template (currently: "sivutyyppi"), name (currently: "sivun nimi osoitepalkissa") etc.. Trying to balance with what is "correct" and what is easy to understand for non-technical person.

• Like 1

Sounds great, count me in! Do you guys have good ideas regarding how others could participate in this -- pull requests or..?

In the past I've been participating in translation projects via services like Launchpad and Twitter Translation Center. This time we don't have anything like that available, though, unless someone wants to set up something similar for ProcessWire. Just saying ;)

Anyway, I should probably start by downloading current language pack to a test site and taking a good look at what it covers and what kind of terminology you've used there. We've been using it in our projects with some minor additions and changes, so it might not be a 100% match.

Regarding terminology, "sivutyyppi" sounds fine to me, though we've been using "sivupohja". The way I see it, "pohja" makes it more obvious that this is something you can use for new items and therefore fits better what I see as the whole point of a template. Definitely not such a huge difference really and in my opinion both of these are much better options, especially to non-technical folks, than "aihio", "mallipohja", "malline" (or "mallinne" like some seem to type it) etc.

Cool! 100% coverage is definetly something to aim for.

I think pull requests are way to go here. Additions could be committed to master and different terminology suggestions as new branches for easy testing.

We're also used "sivupohja" for "template" translation. For non-technical user I think there's nothing wrong with "sivutyyppi" but might be bit misleading to more advanced user (eg. in MODX type is referenced to document/folder/weblink or contentType to html/css/js/xml..). For "name" we're used simply "URL nimi" - maybe too techy..

Thanks for your input Diogo :) Though your variation of sivutyyppi is quite an interesting one ;)

Sorry guys for delay with this. No excuses, but got pretty close zero coding time last week.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have some pending updates also, but eagerly waiting for Fokke's pull request :)

What you guys think, should we translate everything? There are more and more places where you cannot tell which are "only for developers" and which are visible for editors too. Like Inputfield module names that are shown in Form Builder etc.

"If it's translatable, it's meant to be translated". Just my five cents ;)

If Finnish translations continue to be hosted at GitHub, should we consider different ProcessWire versions there? Branch for each PW version, with master being "current stable"? Tags would work too, but AFAIK that would make updating earlier versions impossible.

• Like 2

https://github.com/apeisa/Finnish-ProcessWire

I pushed a big update to the GitHub. Some parts are still missing, and there are certainly a lot errors to be corrected. Additional pull requests are welcome :)

EDIT: I used PW 2.5.8 dev when creating this language pack.

More coming soon!

You can find the old translations for 2.4 here: https://github.com/apeisa/Finnish-ProcessWire/releases

Edited by Fokke
  • Like 2

@Teppo: Yes this was intended. The original language pack contained translations for Form Builder, so I added translations for a couple of other modules too.

Should we store these module translations elsewhere?

In my opinion these don't belong to the official language pack, where we should stick to what one gets by downloading ProcessWire. Additionally, FormBuilder and ProCache would be particularly problematic, as they're neither open source nor free.

Some sort of central repository for 3rd party module translations is definitely a good idea, though.

Anyway, that's just my opinion -- would like to hear what others think about this.

I also agree with Teppo that additional module translations should't be included in the official language pack. This looks to be the case with other languages too. I quickly crawled most of them and didn't find any site related translations - not even for the (official) paid modules.