mechanism to initialize Inputfield configuration at construction or init time?

bmacnaughton

I would like to provide a way to for the caller to configure an Inputfield when getting it, i.e., when either __construct or init is called, as opposed to having to set each field independently after the field has been instantiated. How would I do that?

What I have now:

// get a password field
    $field = wire('modules')->get("InputfieldPasswordGeneric");
    $field->attr('id+name', 'password');
    $field->attr('size', 40); 
    $field->required = true; 
    $field->label = 'Password:';

What I'd like to do (conceptually):

$defaults = array(
    'required' => true,
    'label' => 'Password:',
    'allow_whitespace' => false,
    'numDigits' => 0,
);

$field = wire('modules')->get("InputfieldPasswordGeneric", $defaults);
$field->attr('id+name', 'password');
$field->attr('size', 40);

I could just create a property, like defaults, and decode that. But the code won't see that until rendering time so will have to do additional processing each render. It seems like it belongs at initialization or construction time.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem with first method is. Are you speaking about your Inputfield's default (in module) ?

Look at InputfieldText how it set defaults

public function __construct() {
    parent::__construct();
    $this->setAttribute('type', 'text'); 
    $this->setAttribute('size', 0); 
    $this->setAttribute('maxlength', self::defaultMaxlength); 
    $this->setAttribute('placeholder', '');
    $this->setAttribute('pattern', '');
    $this->set('initValue', ''); // optional initial value
    $this->set('stripTags', false); // strip tags from input?
}

I didn't ask this very well.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to specify the values at the time the field is being created, not within the field code itself.

$field = wire('modules')->get("InputfieldPasswordGeneric");

I'm looking for the rough equivalent of:

$field = new InputfieldPasswordGeneric($config);

where $config is an associative array that can override the defaults for selected properties so the field is configurable.

Does that make sense?

In this case it would be good, so it can be directly saved to the variable, but it's not a necessity and it's your module, you decide what you do there. ProcessWire does also not return "$this" most of the time you chain stuff.

// PageArray -> Page -> Pageimages -> Pageimage -> String
$pages->get("id=1466")->images->eq(0)->url;

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      Select Images
      An inputfield that allows the visual selection and sorting of images, intended for use with the FieldtypeDynamicOptions module. Together these modules can be used to create a kind of "image reference" field.

Integration with FieldtypeDynamicOptions
      InputfieldSelectImages was developed to be used together with FieldtypeDynamicOptions (v0.1.3 or newer):
      Create a Dynamic Options field. Choose "Select Images" as the "Inputfield type". Select Images appears in the "Multiple item selection" category but you can set "Maximum number of items" to 1 if you want to use Select Images for single image selections. Define selectable options for the field via a FieldtypeDynamicOptions::getSelectableOptions hook. See some examples below. FieldtypeDynamicOptions is recommended but is not a strict requirement for installing InputfieldSelectImages in case you want to use an alternative way to store the field data.
      Selection of Pageimages
      In this example the field allows selection of Pageimages that are in the "images" field of the home page.
      The field will store URLs to the Pageimages so it works as a kind of "image reference" field. You can use the "Format as Pagefile/Pageimage object(s)" option for the Dynamic Options field to have the formatted value of the field be automatically converted from the stored Pageimage URLs to Pageimage objects.
      $wire->addHookAfter('FieldtypeDynamicOptions::getSelectableOptions', function(HookEvent $event) { // The page being edited $page = $event->arguments(0); // The Dynamic Options field $field = $event->arguments(1); // For a field named "select_images" if($field->name === 'select_images') { $options = []; // Get Pageimages within the "images" field on the home page foreach($event->wire()->pages(1)->images as $image) { // Add an option for each Pageimage // When the key is a Pageimage URL the inputfield will automatically create a thumbnail // In this example the label includes the basename and the filesize /** @var Pageimage $image */ $options[$image->url] = "{$image->basename}<br>{$image->filesizeStr}"; } $event->return = $options; } }); Selection of image files not associated with a Page
      When not working with Pageimages you must add a "data-thumb" attribute for each selectable option which contains a URL to a thumbnail/image.
      In this example the field allows selection of image files in a "/pics/" folder which is in the site root.
      $wire->addHookAfter('FieldtypeDynamicOptions::getSelectableOptions', function(HookEvent $event) { // The page being edited $page = $event->arguments(0); // The Dynamic Options field $field = $event->arguments(1); // For a field named "select_images" if($field->name === 'select_images') { $options = []; // Get files that are in the /pics/ folder $root = $event->wire()->config->paths->root; $path = $root . 'pics/'; $files = $event->wire()->files->find($path); // Add an option for each file foreach($files as $file) { $basename = str_replace($path, '', $file); $url = str_replace($root, '/', $file); // The value must be an array with the following structure... $options[$url] = [ // The label for the image 'label' => $basename, 'attributes' => [ // An image URL in the "data-thumb" attribute 'data-thumb' => $url, ], ]; } $event->return = $options; } }); The field values don't have to be image URLs
      The values stored by the Dynamic Options field don't have to be image URLs. For example, you could use the images to represent different layout options for a page, or to represent widgets that will be inserted on the page.
      Also, you can use external URLs for the thumbnails. In the example below the options "calm" and "crazy" are represented by thumbnails from placecage.com.
      $wire->addHookAfter('FieldtypeDynamicOptions::getSelectableOptions', function(HookEvent $event) { // The page being edited $page = $event->arguments(0); // The Dynamic Options field $field = $event->arguments(1); // For a field named "calm_or_crazy" if($field->name === 'calm_or_crazy') { $options = []; // Add options that are illustrated with thumbnails from placecage.com $options['calm'] = [ // The label for the option 'label' => 'Nicolas Cage is a calm man', 'attributes' => [ // An image URL in the "data-thumb" attribute 'data-thumb' => 'https://www.placecage.com/260/260', ] ]; $options['crazy'] = [ // The label for the option 'label' => 'Nicolas Cage is a crazy man', 'attributes' => [ // An image URL in the "data-thumb" attribute 'data-thumb' => 'https://www.placecage.com/c/260/260', ] ]; $event->return = $options; } }); Field configuration
      You can define labels for the button, notices, etc, that are used within the inputfield if the defaults don't suit.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/InputfieldSelectImages
      https://processwire.com/modules/inputfield-select-images/
    • By Neue Rituale
      https://github.com/neuerituale/FieldtypeOembed
      or in the modules directory: https://processwire.com/modules/fieldtype-oembed/
    • By carlitoselmago
      It's been twice this year as a PW developer where clients have asqued me to have a way to put content on specific coordinates of a picture. Something like what image maps are made of. But not necesarly on links, sometimes text, sometimes images and links. 
      So I've been thinking to build an inputfield for that purpose. But I'm not sure how could it be the most flexible so I can share it in github/modules page.
      Ideally it would need to work like a repeater field where you start uploading an image and then adding any custom field like title, url etc. So the user could add multiple elements floating over that image.
      Does anybody here know the ideal way to start the arquitecture of something like that? I could just hardcode the fields I need for the website I have to code this month but it would be nice to be something more flexible.
    • By theoretic
      Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!
      It appears there's a possible bug in Processwire 3.0.170 concerning file and/or image inputfield. Creating such a field results in the following error:

Fatal Error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get() on null
      The inputfield is created however. The closer look reveals a problem at line 60 in wire\modules\Fieldtype\FieldtypeFile\config.php:
      if(!$value) $value = $fieldtype->get('defaultFileExtensions'); Commenting this line removes the problem, but the newly created inputfield requires 'Allowed file extensions' config option to be set (which is rather expectable since i commented the above-cited line of code). Never faced this problem before, hope it can be resolved.
    • By Lewis Newson
      Hi All,
      Im working on streamlining my email sending setup for SMTP. I have a page where the user of the website can input the SMTP host, port, connection type email and password etc but the password field has an additional box underneath it for 'Confirming' it as if it were a new password. The placeholder text also says 'New Password' but I want to be able to change that. I just need an input field where they can enter their SMTP password without it being plain text.
      Thanks for your help!