German (de-DE) not maintained

-------------------------

Update November 2018:
This language pack has now a new maintainer. Please see the new thread for updated versions and discussion.

-------------------------

Well here's my first try to translate it to german ("de-de") All of the the translations are right but I'll change some later to sound nicer.

And, I don't know if the nativ english speaking people here will understand it, but this translation uses "Sie" to address the user formally. (There's a difference between "du" (means you) and "Sie). But I guess "Sie" is the better choice.

UPDATE:

- Improved some translations to sound nicer.

UPDATE 2:

- added some new translations

UPDATE 3:

- added translations for new functions (like cloning)

UPDATE 4:

Please see this new thread from the new maintainer @jmartsch

de-de (updated 1323468757).zip

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Since I'm going to need these in a project soon, I took the liberty of updating these a bit. I didn't edit any of Nico's translations, I just cleaned out some abandoned ones and filled in most of the blanks (not the ones which make perfect sense untranslated).

For starters, it would be great if other German native speakers could check these out. I'm sure there's a typo here or there. :rolleyes:

de-de_2012-05-26.zip

• Like 1

I had some time at hand and nothing else to do, so I went ahead and translated some more. All 70 language files translateable as of PW 2.2.2, to be exact. Someone please double-check these. I'm sure they're far from perfect, and I'll gladly accept any suggestions for better translations or hints to typos. I'll also continue to refine some of the translations, but after this little bulk translation marathon, I need a break. :biggrin:

I also put them in a GitHub repo:

https://github.com/y...wled/pw-lang-de

• Like 5

Just one issue for now, I can't install the pack with just using the zip from github. The readme.markdown is the problem.

Edit: ah well, it installs it all .json even with the readme file it will just ignore it...

I was aware that might be an issue, but I really don't like GitHub repos without any README notes. If anybody knows how to make GitHub exclude said README files from GitHub downloads, do tell. :)

Other than that, great to hear it's not an issue with PW, I haven't gotten around to testing the GitHub zip on a fresh install.

Small hint to people using language packs. If you happen to have a custom admin theme installed, you need to add a translation for the /site/templates-admin/default.php to translate the admin top menu and profil, logout text.

@yellowled the Translation/Language module itself seems missing, or is that not translatable yet? :) But so far great work!

Small hint to people using language packs. If you happen to have a custom admin theme installed, you need to add a translation for the /site/templates-admin/default.php to translate the admin top menu and profil, logout text.

I realize it would mean some extra work for admin theme authors, but wouldn't it be possible to use language variable in the admin theme? Most of the admin themes I checked out seem to be older than the whole multi-language feature, so I just assumed what would be why they don't use translated variables …

@yellowled the Translation/Language module itself seems missing, or is that not translatable yet? :) But so far great work!
Found /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/ProcessLanguageTranslator.module
That file has no translatable phrases

Nope. :)

I realize it would mean some extra work for admin theme authors, but wouldn't it be possible to use language variable in the admin theme? Most of the admin themes I checked out seem to be older than the whole multi-language feature, so I just assumed what would be why they don't use translated variables …

My teflon theme is uptodate. :) If you use one that doesn't urge them to update their theme too.

@MadeMyDay just noted on Twitter that copying wire--templates-admin--default-php.json to site--templates-admin--default-php.json solves that. Tested it, it does in fact work. Unless there are any technical objections to this …?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK i´m a little bit confuse ... which one is now the last one ??

I downloaded from github this one "yellowled-pw-lang-de-8c5e88b" but in this translation after the upload to PW there are 66 blank fields?!!

Is this really the last and up-to-date German translation??

Current state of the GitHub repo is 2.2.3. Ryan's pace indeed can be hard to keep up with, and I have been caught up in work lately.

However, there are a lot of fields which are "empty" simply because the English word is perfectly fine in German as well, for instance "Admin". There's no need to edit those just for the sake of getting the "translated" state.

Ryan's pace is hard to keep up with :)

Actually this doesn't have to do anything with the blank fields in the translation. If Ryan adds new modules, they first would have to be added to the de translation so it generates its own json file. It doesn't do that automaticly.

Also it's fine to have some blanks. Some of the translations are for site builders only (not visible for clients) and I like to keep that part of pw in english.

I didn´t agree with you for the German language! May be in Finland the moste People speek English?? But in Germany the most is translated for you (TV, cinema, ... the daily live). OK you say for "site builders" but here we are... on the other hand we want that PW should be more "public" and on the other side "english" for ALL is ok - i thought (that is only my opinion) for more "public" in Germany we NEED a full German translation. (In Finland could it be other?!)

However, there are a lot of fields which are "empty" simply because the English word is perfectly fine in German as well, for instance "Admin". There's no need to edit those just for the sake of getting the "translated" state.

hmm i´m disagree with you about this. Ok it would be right that for the word "Admin" we didn´t need a "better" Translation (because we have enough "Denglisch" in our Language) but i thought it would be more confusion (see my poste above - and i´m not sure if i the only one??) when i go through the Translation and see - 1 blank, 2 blank, 1 blank, ... that sounds for me it´s not complete!! So i prefer a whole translation state.

Only my 1 cent to this topic

• Like 1

Actually this doesn't have to do anything with the blank fields in the translation. If Ryan adds new modules, they first would have to be added to the de translation so it generates its own json file. It doesn't do that automaticly.

Yeah, you right, Soma. I meant already existing code and that it changes very quickly, though I didn't realize that some fields were left blank in German translation intentionaly.

hmm i´m disagree with you about this. Ok it would be right that for the word "Admin" we didn´t need a "better" Translation (because we have enough "Denglisch" in our Language) but i thought it would be more confusion (see my poste above - and i´m not sure if i the only one??) when i go through the Translation and see - 1 blank, 2 blank, 1 blank, ... that sounds for me it´s not complete!! So i prefer a whole translation state.

Ralph, you can easily add your own translations and even share your additions here ;)

Ok it would be right that for the word "Admin" we didn´t need a "better" Translation (because we have enough "Denglisch" in our Language)

First of all (I don't think anybody mentioned this already), a complete translation is not even possible as of now because some parts of PW and some modules are not translatable.

Personally, I don't mind some English words in the admin backend. If there is no proper German translation, I'd rather have a well-known English term than a bad German translation just for the sake of translating, because a bad translation can be just as confusing as an English word. For example, there is no sensible German expression for „E-Mail“. (I'm not 100% sure, but I think that one actually is translated technically because the german spelling is a little different.)

Translating everything just to get rid of the "x blanks" hints is pointless and inefficient from a technical point of view. That being said, everyone is of course welcome to suggest translations, send pull requests or even fork the repository to do their own translations. In fact, I would appreciate any input or help on this, because frankly, it is a quite lot of work.

Exactly. There are some words which (at least in my opinion) are

a. very "established" in German, althought they are actually English

b. don't really have a proper and common German translation

Some of those might be "translated" anyway because they are spelled differently in German, though. For instance, most English people tend to write "email", the proper German form is "E-Mail".

• Like 1

Ralph,

I downloaded from github this one "yellowled-pw-lang-de-8c5e88b" but in this translation after the upload to PW there are 66 blank fields?!!

Is this really the last and up-to-date German translation??

Which fields are empty and are you recognizing this while working with the admin pages? Your suggestions on GitHub are more cosmetic changes of existing fields, I am interested to see what in fact is missing.

@ yellowled, MadeMyDay and all others...

First, sorry i won´t affect someone or something! I think PW is a great CMS which i was always search. So the only thing i made those posts was i want to bring PW in Germany forward! (That also none english speaking Persons can use PW! but ok this is a other hope from me - because i´m not very good in english...).

Second, ALL following "missing" translations COULD be a problem of MY Installation!! or of a possible problem of the Teflon Theme (sorry soma i hope not!!).

so ok here we go...

EDIT: sorry i want put the pics separate here in the text but this doesn´t work :/ so you could find it in the attachment

I hope the missing thing/ word/ sentence is clear?

One more - to the modules-side - i´m not sure from who the translations come so but it would be cool when the description would be also translated...

... ok now you can rend me :P

post-644-0-65402500-1346231703_thumb.png

post-644-0-05897900-1346231705_thumb.png

post-644-0-13797600-1346231706_thumb.png

post-644-0-60098000-1346231707_thumb.png

post-644-0-59903500-1346231709_thumb.png

post-644-0-94620900-1346231710_thumb.png

post-644-0-76716400-1346231711_thumb.png

post-644-0-79313900-1346231712_thumb.png

post-644-0-75213900-1346231713_thumb.png

First of all, I push quite a number of new and revised translations to GitHub today. Haven't checked for new translations yet since I did those on a server without ssh access, which makes it hard to check for new translatable files.

Second, I admit I only skimmed those screenshots, but I am pretty sure most of this stuff is properly translated in the standard admin theme. I never use anything else, so I can't really tell whether it's related to the admin theme. You should check with the standard admin theme. Also always consider that there still are quite a number of parts of PW which are not translatable at all.

• Like 2

• horst locked this topic