German (de-DE) not maintained

First of all, I push quite a number of new and revised translations to GitHub today. Haven't checked for new translations yet since I did those on a server without ssh access, which makes it hard to check for new translatable files.

Thanks for that!! I´ve downloaded and installed.

Second, I admit I only skimmed those screenshots, but I am pretty sure most of this stuff is properly translated in the standard admin theme. I never use anything else, so I can't really tell whether it's related to the admin theme. You should check with the standard admin theme.

I checked all pictures from above again in the default admin theme AND all "problems" are be the same! only the design is other...

i checked it with the german repro from 2 days ago and with the last one today - but every time the same.

Also always consider that there still are quite a number of parts of PW which are not translatable at all.

OK so for me (wenn you say you have all relevant words/ sentence translated) this could be the only answer. But why couldn´t we do that? Is this a bug or a feature from ryan ??

Ralf, I don't mean to be rude. But most of your suggestions so far are, as MadeMyDay noted, purely cosmetic. You also come across pretty pushy on a subject most people here don't consider that urgent. I understand where you're coming from and why you would like it to be translated 100%, but obviously, the translation hasn't kept you from using PW, so it can't be that bad.

So before you suggest that something might be a bug (which clearly isn't, it's merely a not perfect part of PW), I suggest you consider the fact that what you're doing here is critisizing work people do in their free time. You might also want to note that while the German translation might not be 100% complete, it is pretty close to that. And finally, please accept that while PW is great in many areas, it is still in development in others.

Internationalization (i.e. making a software translatable in other languages) is hard. It's not something developers like to implement because it's fun. It is not fun, it takes a lot of planning and thinking ahead. It is also not a crucial part of any software. I realize you think it is, but I assure you there are more important parts of PW to be improved and developed.

Ralf, I don't mean to be rude. But most of your suggestions so far are, as MadeMyDay noted, purely cosmetic. You also come across pretty pushy on a subject most people here don't consider that urgent. I understand where you're coming from and why you would like it to be translated 100%, but obviously, the translation hasn't kept you from using PW, so it can't be that bad.

So before you suggest that something might be a bug (which clearly isn't, it's merely a not perfect part of PW), I suggest you consider the fact that what you're doing here is critisizing work people do in their free time. You might also want to note that while the German translation might not be 100% complete, it is pretty close to that. And finally, please accept that while PW is great in many areas, it is still in development in others.

Internationalization (i.e. making a software translatable in other languages) is hard. It's not something developers like to implement because it's fun. It is not fun, it takes a lot of planning and thinking ahead. It is also not a crucial part of any software. I realize you think it is, but I assure you there are more important parts of PW to be improved and developed.

Hi yellowled,

sorry my english is not so good as yours - this is probably why my sentence (which i see now) misunderstood.

And NO i didn´t wan´t to "critisizing work people"! I want to help you/pw-community to translate PW into German - also like you in my freetime! i want to exchange with all german-speaker how i can help on the project and bring it ahead. But i see you have other more important parts in pw - thats ok i know that.

So i can´t do more as to say sorry when you and/or the others feel that i´m too pushy that was not my aim.

• Like 1

Nothing to be sorry about, I just wanted to explain why this is not something that can be fixed within a few days. There's a lot of good ideas in another thread to maybe make translations easier to handle in the future, most of which are directly related to this very discussion. I'm sorry I can not offer a "perfect" German translation as of now, but be assured this will be maintained and developed further.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, thanks a lot for this german package! It's great to be able to provide customer with their own language.

there's something missing though, it's a detail but i've been using it a lot in a current website so it's bugging me a little.

The multiple page field type isn't translated. The words "add" and "cancel" still appear in english.

Is it something you're aware of?

Thanks.

post-588-0-47539100-1352802901_thumb.pngpost-588-0-72272700-1352802906_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

I have updated the german language files (depending on the latest cz files). Hope I found/changed all entries.

Best will be, if yellowled makes a diff?

BTW: the file 'wire--modules--sessionloginthrottle-module.json' seems to be obsolete now, and was replaced

by 'wire--modules--session--sessionloginthrottle--sessionloginthrottle-module.json'?

pw-lang-de.zip

• Like 2

Nevermind, got it sorted out a bit already. Should be in the repo at some time in the next couple of days.

But

a. If you submit changes in a zip again, please, please only include files you actually changed. Thanks.  :)

b. Have a look at GitHub. It is pretty easy and a lot less painful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't looked into translation at all so please excuse if this is obvious and/or stupid: Is there a way to translate the PW error messages for required fields? I use those for frontend editing on my website as well and it would be a nice touch to have them in german ...

Danke!

thomas

I haven't looked into translation at all so please excuse if this is obvious and/or stupid: Is there a way to translate the PW error messages for required fields?

The "missing required field" error message is translatable in this file: /wire/core/InputfieldWrapper.php

• 1 month later...

I've installed the german language pack today and whenever a user whos language is set to german is logged in, all german "Umlaute" stored in a field are broken on the whole page. When I log out everything is fine again.

Any suggestions why this happens?

Thanks a lot folks!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I don't really know, but you can check what charsets you are using with MySQL-DB and PHP and HTML-output.

You may try to put this code in top of your index.php:

ini_set('default_charset','utf-8');
	if( ! strtolower(trim(ini_get('default_charset')))=='utf-8' )	{
		echo 'WRONG CHARACTERSET IN PHP: '. ini_get('default_charset') ;
		exit(88);
	}

and test if it behave the same.

Once I have had some issues with that php-ini setting of default_charset. (by default it is set to ISO-8859-1 or that like)

Thanks for your quick answer. So all charsets are utf8. db, php and html. Setting the right headers and everything. Still getting stuff like "b��ro".

All mySQL tables are configured to utf8_general_ci. Is it possible that the drivers collation is different when the language is set to german?

Hhm, sorry, - I don't know. Just want to help with what I've experienced by my self.

But at all, it sounds really weird. There are many users who use DE-Language-Pack with all setup to UTF-8 and have not that issue. So, there must be something different with your setup. :huh:

Also never experienced this, and no clue as to why. It shouldn't make a difference if logged in or not.

Try uncomment

$config->dbSetNamesUTF8 = true;

in site/config.php

So everything is set correctly, I've got no clue whats going on here. But here is the example of the dev site:

dev.trenkoberdorfer.de/intern/

use users:

german/1german

and

default/1default

everything is fine for logged out and logged in default users. For the german user its broken. The template looks like:

<?php echo strtolower($menu_page->title); ?>

also added the $config->dbSetNamesUTF8 = true;

Can anyone the way how the value is fetched from database? Is there any condition on the language?

Thanks!

by the way, dont judge the markup please :) , its crapy I know and I didn't write it.

Hhm, weird.

When logged in with german user, there are broken umlaute only in frontend, not in backend. (label and inputfields are ok)

Do you use TextFormatter for Titlefield, (HTML Entity Encoder), or not. Can you switch once and compare?

• horst locked this topic