Inputfield ACE Extended

owzim

• 2 weeks later...

just tried your module and i love it! great for my geowire project where i'm working on an update right now. i wanted to suggest a fullscreen mode, but i saw it's already on your roadmap... +1 for that. would really be great :)

thanks for the awesome work!

• 1 month later...

Maybe this can be useful to people. It replaces a normal textarea in the backend with an ace instance.

class AdminHelper extends WireData implements Module{

const phpFirstLine = "<?php //autmatically added but not saved";

public function init() {
		// Inputfield Ace Extended for editing page fields
		$this->addHookAfter('InputfieldPage::getConfigInputfields', $this, 'makePHPFieldACEField');
		$this->addHookBefore('ProcessField::executeSave', $this, 'removeLeadingTag');
	}

public function makePHPFieldACEField($event){
		$form = $event->return;

$field = $form->get("findPagesCode");

$ace = $this->modules->get("InputfieldAceExtended");
    // foreach (get_object_vars($field) as $key => $name) {
    //     $obj->$key = $name;
    // }
    $ace->setAttributes($field->getAttributes());
    $ace->setArray($field->getArray());
		$ace->modes = array("php");
		$linecount = substr_count($ace->attr("value"), "\n");

// Preserve collapsed mode and do not add when build for saving
		if($ace->attr("value") !== "" && !$this->input->post->findPagesCode)
			$ace->attr("value", self::phpFirstLine."\n\n".$ace->attr("value"));
		$ace->rows = $linecount ? $linecount : 4;

$field->parent->insertAfter($ace, $field);
		$field->parent->remove($field);

$event->return = $form;
	}

public function removeLeadingTag($event){
		if($this->input->post->findPagesCode && strpos($this->input->post->findPagesCode, self::phpFirstLine) !== false){
			$this->input->post->findPagesCode = trim(str_replace(self::phpFirstLine, "", $this->input->post->findPagesCode));
		}
	}
}
Edited by LostKobrakai
Small update
  • Like 2

pretty interesting - what would be a good use case for this method, as opposed to making the field itself an AceExtended field? I might be being thick, but am not getting that...

• Like 1

The custom php code field for page fields is sometimes a little more complex on a current project and I wanted it to sport an better editing interface and syntax highlighting. My module does convert the standart textarea there to an ace textarea. There isn't a field behind this form, where one could simply change the inputfielClass for. So it's useful for all the process module forms.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

hi owzim,

i've used your module in the past quite a lot without problems. thank you for that. :)

now i tried to use it in the new matrix repeater on 3.0.12 and this is what it looks like:

post-2137-0-07256300-1458818415_thumb.pn

seems to work fine with 3.0.12 when you add it in the normal way to a template. in the repeater it does not support code highlighting and also the settings will get lost on save.

any chance that we get an update on this? although i have to say it is not critical for me as this is only ment to copy&paste some code to my blog and i will not write much code directly there...

edit: note that i also tried setting "PHP" not "plain text" as the screenshot shows...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@Robin S thanks for the report. I will add an extra json settings field for modes in the field config. I am sick right now but I'll look into it, later this week.

Edit: Can't test right now, but you might be able to set this in the advanced options of the field config.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, owzim said:

I will add an extra json settings field for modes in the field config. I am sick right now but I'll look into it, later this week.

Thanks! Hope you feel better soon.

39 minutes ago, owzim said:

edit: can't test right now, but you might be able setting this in the advanced settings of the field config.

I tried a few things but I don't have a good grasp of how the recommended way to set inline mode...

session.setMode({path:"ace/mode/php", inline:true})

...relates to the module's implementation of Ace. The only thing I could find relating to the PHP inline mode is in mode-php.js:

"ace/mode/php-inline"

So maybe this is an alternative way to set PHP inline mode? Hard to make sense of it with the source being minified.

• 7 months later...

Great plug in.  Working great.  Noticed an issue when trying to use it on a multi language textarea.  I only put html in the "English" field and after save this is what you get.  No big deal I just wanted to make you aware of it if you weren't already.

(see attached screen shot)5981f48995689_ScreenShot2017-08-02at10_47_02AM.thumb.png.67ffcd6ed434a54307433a78204865b8.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2016 at 2:22 PM, bernhard said:

i tried to use it in the new matrix repeater on 3.0.12 and this is what it looks like:

post-2137-0-07256300-1458818415_thumb.pn

I'm having the same issue.

It appears that this happens because Repeater fields add new items using AJAX, and InputfieldAceExtended loads its scripts with $config->scripts in render() method. But it doesnt work as PW does not consider rendering the scripts in $config->scripts when loading an input with AJAX. Quick solution is to append <script> and <link> or <style> tags after inputfield markup. From a quick search, native and profields don't seem to have this issue because they use the scripts that are loaded on backend by default.

I think solution is up to @ryan at this point. When rendering the field PW should output scripts & styles too.

// InputfieldWrapper.php
public function ___renderInputfield(Inputfield $inputfield, $renderValueMode = false) {
    // ...
    if($ajaxInputfield) {

$inputfieldID = $inputfield->attr('id');

if($ajaxID && $ajaxID == $inputfieldID) {
            // render ajax inputfield
            $editable = $inputfield->editable();
            if($renderValueMode || !$editable) {
                echo $inputfield->renderValue();
            } else {
                echo $inputfield->render();
                echo "<input type='hidden' name='processInputfieldAjax[]' value='$inputfieldID' />";
                // Get scripts from $this->config->scripts and output to browser
            }
            exit;
        //...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, abdus said:

From a quick search, native and profields don't seem to have this issue because they use the scripts that are loaded on backend by default.

10 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I might be wrong but I think scripts get loaded when added inside the init method of the inputfield

I believe this is what Inputfield::renderReady() is for: adding dependencies to $config->scripts and $config->styles, and also adding JS objects to ProcessWire.config via $config->js().

But I think all this is not well understood by module developers, myself included. Would be great to get a tutorial some time, maybe in a weekly blog post @ryan?

• Like 2

For inputs that are loaded without ajax, scripts work fine, because they're served inside the whole page markup

But for ajax inputs that's not the case.

Here's the response to an AJAX request. I removed class, id, name, and for attributes because they were taking up too much space. The only script is at the end which initializes tabs and submit buttons.

Spoiler

<p>1024</p>
<form>
    <ul uk-grid>
        <li>
            <label><i></i> Content<i></i></label>
            <div>
                <ul uk-grid>
                    <li>
                        <label><span>Markdown {&bull; New}</span><i></i></label>
                        <div>
                            <ul uk-grid>
                                <li><label>loaded_repeater1114<i></i></label><div><input value="1" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li><label>Sort<i></i></label><div><input value="0" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li><label><span>Delete<i></i></span></label><div><label><input type='checkbox' value="1114" /><span>Delete</span></label></div></li>
                                <li><label>publish_repeater1114<i></i></label><div><input value="1" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li>
                                    <ul uk-grid>
                                        <li><label><i></i> Content<i></i></label><div>
                                            <div data-input data-field>
                                                    <ul uk-grid>
                                                        <li><label><i></i> Options<i></i></label>
                                                            <div><span><span>Theme</span> <span><select><option
                                                                    value='tomorrow'>Tomorrow</option><option
                                                                    value='chrome'>Chrome</option><option
                                                                    value='monokai'>Monokai</option><option
                                                                    value='twilight'>Twilight</option></select></span></span><span><span>Language</span> <span><select><option value='plain_text'>Plain Text</option><option
                                                                    value='css'>CSS</option><option
                                                                    value='html'>HTML</option><option
                                                                    value='javascript'>JavaScript</option><option
                                                                    value='json'>JSON</option><option value='markdown'>Markdown</option><option
                                                                    value='php'>PHP</option><option
                                                                    value='yaml'>YAML</option><option value='python'>Python</option></select></span></span><span><span>Font size</span> <span><input
                                                                    value="14" type="number"
                                                                    min="10" max="28"
                                                                    size="10"/></span></span>
                                                            </div></li></ul><div>
                                                        <div></div>
                                                    </div>
                                                    <textarea rows="5"></textarea>
                                            </div>
                                        </div></li></ul></li></ul></div></li></ul></div></li>
        <li><div><button value="Save" type="submit"><span>Save</span></button></div></li>
        <li><label>id<i></i></label><div><input value="1024" type="hidden" /></div></li>
    </ul>
    <input type='hidden' value='Wbzssyv52R1o8qZzfEHZRFjKz/pwLU9b' />
</form>
<script>
    initPageEditForm();
</script>

For inputs that are loaded without ajax, scripts work fine, because they're served inside the whole page markup

But for ajax inputs that's not the case.

Here's the response to an AJAX request. I removed class, id, name, and for attributes because they were taking up too much space. The only script is at the end which initializes tabs and submit buttons.

Spoiler

<p>1024</p>
<form>
    <ul uk-grid>
        <li>
            <label><i></i> Content<i></i></label>
            <div>
                <ul uk-grid>
                    <li>
                        <label><span>Markdown {&bull; New}</span><i></i></label>
                        <div>
                            <ul uk-grid>
                                <li><label>loaded_repeater1114<i></i></label><div><input value="1" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li><label>Sort<i></i></label><div><input value="0" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li><label><span>Delete<i></i></span></label><div><label><input type='checkbox' value="1114" /><span>Delete</span></label></div></li>
                                <li><label>publish_repeater1114<i></i></label><div><input value="1" type="hidden" /></div></li>
                                <li>
                                    <ul uk-grid>
                                        <li><label><i></i> Content<i></i></label><div>
                                            <div data-input data-field>
                                                    <ul uk-grid>
                                                        <li><label><i></i> Options<i></i></label>
                                                            <div><span><span>Theme</span> <span><select><option
                                                                    value='tomorrow'>Tomorrow</option><option
                                                                    value='chrome'>Chrome</option><option
                                                                    value='monokai'>Monokai</option><option
                                                                    value='twilight'>Twilight</option></select></span></span><span><span>Language</span> <span><select><option value='plain_text'>Plain Text</option><option
                                                                    value='css'>CSS</option><option
                                                                    value='html'>HTML</option><option
                                                                    value='javascript'>JavaScript</option><option
                                                                    value='json'>JSON</option><option value='markdown'>Markdown</option><option
                                                                    value='php'>PHP</option><option
                                                                    value='yaml'>YAML</option><option value='python'>Python</option></select></span></span><span><span>Font size</span> <span><input
                                                                    value="14" type="number"
                                                                    min="10" max="28"
                                                                    size="10"/></span></span>
                                                            </div></li></ul><div>
                                                        <div></div>
                                                    </div>
                                                    <textarea rows="5"></textarea>
                                            </div>
                                        </div></li></ul></li></ul></div></li></ul></div></li>
        <li><div><button value="Save" type="submit"><span>Save</span></button></div></li>
        <li><label>id<i></i></label><div><input value="1024" type="hidden" /></div></li>
    </ul>
    <input type='hidden' value='Wbzssyv52R1o8qZzfEHZRFjKz/pwLU9b' />
</form>
<script>
    initPageEditForm();
</script>

7 minutes ago, Robin S said:

I believe this is what Inputfield::renderReady() is for: adding dependencies to $config->scripts and $config->styles, and also adding JS objects to ProcessWire.config via $config->js().

True, but still, inside InputfieldWrapper.php where a field is determined to be rendered with ajax or not, it calls renderReady(), it has no effect because Inputfield::renderReady() still uses $config->styles and $config->scripts (via Modules::loadModuleFileAssets() method), and only the inputfield markup is output to the browser.

//  InputfieldWrapper::renderInputfield
$inputfield->renderReady($this, $renderValueMode);
// ...
if($ajaxID && $ajaxID == $inputfieldID) {
    // render ajax inputfield
    $editable = $inputfield->editable();
    if($renderValueMode || !$editable) {
        echo $inputfield->renderValue();
    } else {
        echo $inputfield->render();
        echo "<input type='hidden' name='processInputfieldAjax[]' value='$inputfieldID' />";
    }
    exit;

}

// Inputfield.php
public function renderReady(Inputfield $parent = null, $renderValueMode = false) {
   if($parent) {}
   if($renderValueMode) {}
   $result = $this->wire('modules')->loadModuleFileAssets($this) > 0;
   if($this->wire('hooks')->isMethodHooked($this, 'renderReadyHook')) {
      $this->renderReadyHook($parent, $renderValueMode);
   }
   return $result;
}

// Modules.php
/**
 * Load module related CSS and JS files (where applicable)
 * - Applies only to modules that carry class-named CSS and/or JS files, such as Process, Inputfield and ModuleJS modules. 
 * - Assets are populated to `$config->styles` and `$config->scripts`.
 * #pw-internal
 * @param Module|int|string $module Module object or class name
 * @return array Returns number of files that were added
 */
public function loadModuleFileAssets($module) {}

17 minutes ago, abdus said:

True, but still, inside InputfieldWrapper.php where a field is determined to be rendered with ajax or not, it calls renderReady(), it has no effect because Inputfield::renderReady() still uses $config->styles and $config->scripts (via Modules::loadModuleFileAssets() method), and only the inputfield markup is output to the browser.

You'd think so, but test it and I think you'll find that assets added in renderReady() are always loaded when the inputfield may appear in Page Edit, even if AJAX-loaded. So for example, you can put an inputfield with a JS dependency such as PageAutocomplete in a repeater, and put that repeater inside another repeater (so the PageAutocomplete inputfield is definitely not being rendered initially) and you'll find that the PageAutocomplete JS dependency is included in Page Edit. PW seems to be smart like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin S said:

So for example, you can put an inputfield with a JS dependency such as PageAutocomplete in a repeater, and put that repeater inside another repeater (so the PageAutocomplete inputfield is definitely not being rendered initially) and you'll find that the PageAutocomplete JS dependency is included in Page Edit. PW seems to be smart like that.

Hmm, you're right. Scripts are output inside <head> during page load.

Then it's developer's responsibility to make sure that inputfields are initialized correctly. This requires a <script> tag to be appended to inputfield markup, which sets up the inputfield with given ID. This would also mean having to save the state somewhere (data attributes, ProcessWire.config etc) to prevent initializing an inputfield twice. Or using a library to listen to DOM mutations and initializing the inputfields inside.

https://github.com/muicss/sentineljs

I agree that a guideline/tutorial from @ryan would be great.

• Like 2

in my last update from InputfieldHandsontable I inject the scripts in the init method: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeHandsontable/blob/master/InputfieldHandsontable.module#L26-35

field-specific CSS is loaded inside the render method with jquery like this: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeHandsontable/blob/master/InputfieldHandsontable.module#L61-69

+1 for a comprehensive tutorial on this :)

thanks @abdus sentineljs looks nice!

• Like 2

Hi, I ran into this issue a while back and remember fixing it but haven't pushed to master. I will have to look into it. I think it might work on the dev branch, not sure though.

Edit: yup it's fixed on the dev branch. I use it on a production site, but I appreciate any quick testing in your environments, so that I can merge it into master, if no further issues arise.

Thanks for reporting!

• Like 1