Adding ProcessWire to Live Page

Lars282

Hey.

I currently have a website and would like to use it with processwire in future.

How can I install processwire to the root directory without taking the old site down? I would want to move the pages slowly over to processwire one by one without interrupting access to the website for the entire duration.

Thanks for your help,

Lars

Lars, you can do this if you convert your homepage to ProcessWire first. That's because ProcessWire needs /index.php in order to run. If you have an /index.html already in place, you'll probably want to remove it too. But you can leave the rest of your site files in place as ProcessWire won't attempt to capture pages that already have existing files on the server. So it should be fine to go ahead and install ProcessWire, and just leave your existing site files where they are (except for the homepage).

You can also do the contrary, if you want to change the homepage last, keep the index.html, and the server will get it instead of index.php. From there you can change the links one by one has you move the pages.

• Like 1

My homepage is an index.php file using extensive php code, so diogo's method won't work.

Ryan, do you mean I only need to first remove and later make the homepage/index.php a ProcessWire template/page, leaving everything as is and not using any ProcessWire code?

All pages of my website use a <base> tag, setting my-domain.com as base. Will this be a problem?

Lars

Diegonella has it right. If you need to keep your existing index.php in place, then you'll want to rename ProcessWire's index.php to something like pw.php (or index_old.php like in Diegonella's example). Then edit ProcessWire's .htaccess file. At the bottom you'll see a line where it sends the request to index.php. You'll want to change that to whatever you renamed PW's index.php to be, like pw.php.

Also now that I know you need to keep an index.php from your old site, I suggest going with the method Diogo mentioned and replacing your homepage last.

As for the <base> tag, I have no idea. I've never used one. :)

Thanks for your help -- I added my old index.php (with <base> tag) as a template and am using it as home page for now, linking to the old structure until I have time to move the pages one by one to PW. Works like a charm!

If I want a fortnightly changing header, the same on each page, how would I do it best? Adding it to my homepage and using $pages to get the elements?

ProcessWire is really great, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks ryan!

If I want a fortnightly changing header, the same on each page, how would I do it best? Adding it to my homepage and using $pages to get the elements?

I'm not sure that I understand the question--can you provide more detail?