Facebook group question

MarcC

Hey everybody, I'm one of the admins on the ProcessWire FB page and I had a question. For those of you who are active on Facebook, would you rather that we turn the group into a closed group instead of a public group? You can see the difference here: screenshot. Anyone can still request to join the group, so it's still pretty open, but you have to join the group to see the posts.

The reason I'm asking is: I notice I don't feel like posting there much, because my Facebook friends are notified whenever I post to a public group. So it's kind of a disincentive to post, for me--like I'm calling attention to something that is just more noise in their feed.

Let me know what you think! 

• Like 4

So, Processwire is on Twitter, Google+, Facebook...

Should it be mentioned on the official website (elsewhere than in the Forums)? That is the question.

Twitter is already present in the footer of the website, except for "Store" and "Forums" (if I'm not forgetting one).

I think officially pw is just on Twitter. Fb, google+, irc etc are all "community driven communities".

FB probably works better as hidden, though I think it has big overlap with this forum anyways. I don't post to fb because my friends mught see that on their walls, but because I find bigger audience from here.

• Like 2

I think officially pw is just on Twitter. Fb, google+, irc etc are all "community driven communities".

FB probably works better as hidden, though I think it has big overlap with this forum anyways. I don't post to fb because my friends mught see that on their walls, but because I find bigger audience from here.

I agree, however one of the main points I drive home to my clients is that you need to be seen on the major social media platforms.  

You may ask, why should I do FB, Google+, irc etc?  The simple answer is that not everyone uses the same content media on the Internet.   Some like Twitter, some like FB, some like Instagram, some like Snapchat and some like regional or national social media.  If you want to reach a particular market or group of people you need to advertise where your target audience is.

Realistically, we can't cover them all and we shouldn't.  We just need to identify what's important and stick to those social channels for the immediate future. I do think that Twitter, FB and Google+ are critical and important to anyone for a variety of reasons.  Twitter and FB would seem obvious to almost anyone.  I believe that Google+ is important for raising and enhancing your SEO/SEM position in local, regional, national and international markets.

• Like 2

I think something like PW should be a page on FB rather than a group. If you have a page, you post from the page's name not from your own. So you do not annoy your family and friends)) As all meaningfull discussion is here in the forums I do not see any reason for maintaining a PW group.

As a page we can have presence on FB with announcements and so bringing FB public to this forum. Private group will not serve as a kind of ad for PW.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

I Sephiroth Nord race of Skyrim disagree with this move to make it private and challenge opposers to a duel fight.... kidding

But I think making it an Open group won't be bad, because it has means of spreading information to your friends and others who could take a sudden interest in it. I use to post on the group till i noticed two things.

1. Lack of activities

2. The audience seem to be mostly users and not Developers