IE 8 user can't login to /processwire

evanmcd

Hi,

When I try to login to /processwire with IE 8 (8.0.6001 to be exact), I get the "Processwire does not support IE7 and below at this time" message.

is this expected with IE and the error message is just wrong, or is IE supported?

I have a number of client users who will be using the CMS and are using IE 8.

I know about Chrome Frame and could use it as a last resort, but would strongly prefer not to.

Thanks!

PW supports IE8 and above, not sure why you get that in IE8. I had to test and fix some things in IE8 already as my clients are on IE8 many times. They didn't had problems like this so far. Can you check what your user agent is set to in your IE8?

// we don't even want to go there
if($.browser.msie && $.browser.version < 8) {
$("#content .container").html("<h2>ProcessWire does not support IE7 and below at this time. Please try again with a newer browser.</h2>").show();
}

Not sure, it should be pretty solid, although I heard it's not completely rock-solid-bullet-proof in jquery using this browser sniffing, but there's a more solid around. Would have to search for it again in case.

You are probably right achabany!

There probably should be this little meta tag in admin theme to prevent Compatibility modes from IE and force latest rendering:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">

Yeah, it's definitely compatibility mode. I'm on an intranet site, and our client has all intranet sites force to compatibility mode.

The odd thing is, adding <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> helps on the non-CMS pages, but doesn't help on the login page - I still get the error even with the meta tag.

If I manually switch mode in the dev tools, it shows the login fields, but I can't ask all authors to do that.

Any idea why it wouldn't take on CMS pages only?

You can change the minimal version to check in the template-admin main.js file in line 59 : replace 8 by 7 and it will be ok, i have tried some tasks and it is still working...

// we don't even want to go there
   if($.browser.msie && $.browser.version < 8) {
       $("#content .container").html("<h2>ProcessWire does not support IE7 and below at this time. Please try again with a newer browser.</h2>").show();
   }

Sinnut posted this several months ago in the pub. Maybe adding this to your .htaccess would help?

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Better website experience for IE users
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# Force the latest IE version, in various cases when it may fall back to IE7 mode
# github.com/rails/rails/commit/123eb25#commitcomment-118920
# Use ChromeFrame if it's installed for a better experience for the poor IE folk

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
 <IfModule mod_headers.c>
   BrowserMatch MSIE ie
   Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=Edge,chrome=1" env=ie
 </IfModule>
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
# Because X-UA-Compatible isn't sent to non-IE (to save header bytes),
# We need to inform proxies that content changes based on UA
 Header append Vary User-Agent
# Cache control is set only if mod_headers is enabled, so that's unnecessary to declare
</IfModule>

Also, I am going to add the meta tag Antti suggested to the default admin theme (just did, and will commit it soon).