Some recent new (or updated) sites

Marty Walker

Great job, Marty. I too really appreciate your aesthetic. The IA site is my favorite that you've made, and I was thinking we could commission Levent Efe to do a cutaway illustration of your web designer brain for your forum profile photo. Just an idea

I love all of those, but I can’t help but notice how the dignified feel of Eat-Drink-Royal is undermined by the neglected typography. Consider installing SuperSmartypants if you have no control over the texts.

Here’s a comparison of the original and two versions with curly quotes and hairspaces:

post-412-0-29413400-1423581874_thumb.gif

Gotta love that her name is Quayle. It’s far too rare that typefaces get to show off a capital Q, arguably one of the most beautiful characters in any font.

I would suggest that, too. Espeacially for a "Royal" enviroment correct quotes and dashes should be used. While the use of different quotation (”“»«, not " ') marks is mostly an aestetic choice, besides cultural preferences, there are rules to the useage of different dashes and the hyphen. I can only speak for the rules in the german speaking area, so I would suggest looking at local rulesets. But for Germany the version with hypens would be plain wrong, at least from a typographical standpoint, and the one with the large dash would also be a suboptimal choice, but not as bad as a hyphen. The large dash is kinda old school and originates in price labels like so: 19.—€. That would be the historicly correct usage, while it's todays usage is more like a gimmicy eye-catcher.