Module: Image Extra

justb3a

Thanks a lot for this modules. I used it in several projects and it always worked fine for me.

Today I ran into a strange bug. The Image Extra fields don't seem to be created in the database.

When I check the orientation field, or any other extra field it says:

SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'field_backgroundImages.orientation' in 'field list'

during page creation.

I looked up the the corresponding mysql table and yes, there is no field created.

could this be connected with the multilingual support? I set up a multilingual site on which english is not the default lang.

Thanks for your help.

@pmichaelis: I don't think that it has to do with the multilingual site, this always works fine for me. And it doesn't matter whether english is the default language. `english` is just a label. Could you please try to rename the field so that it doesn't contain camelCase (capital letters)? For example field_backgroundImages to field_background_images. Have a look at the description: "Any combination of ASCII letters [a-z], numbers [0-9], or underscores (no dashes or spaces)." I don't  know whether this is the reason but I would like to give it a try. 

Edit: Tested it using a camelCaseField without any problems. Using two languages "default" and "english". But my system is case insensitive  ;). Which PW version do you use?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you justb3a for a wonderfull module of yours! It is indeed a nice tool to use instead of a Repeater or PageTable when they are an overkill.

I got similar issue as this. I understand your answer below, but I wish I could not use multilangual fields, even if I have Language Support and 2 languages installed. Is it possible?

My sites are often unilingual, but I do create additional language for admin to be able to work in default English admin interface, as all support you can get is in English (or should I say American to honor the creator of PW). I found no other way to do this (is there any?)

I wish I could not use multilangual fields, even if I have Language Support and 2 languages installed. Is it possible?

My sites are often unilingual, but I do create additional language for admin to be able to work in default English admin interface, as all support you can get is in English (or should I say American to honor the creator of PW). I found no other way to do this (is there any?)

I added an option to disable multi-language fields. In field settings for Image Extra Fields there is a new checkbox "Disable multi-language fields?". Please pull branch develop to get this new feature.

btw: branch develop is ProcessWire 3.x ready but it needs a  bit more testing before I'll  create a new release.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
It took some time but now it's possible to use a textformatter e.g. markdown parser. This is only available in branch develop for PW3.x.

There is a little issue due to focus textareas, I created a PR to solve this.

How to use it: go to field settings, enter some other fields, save. Reopen ImageExtra tab, now you can see a table below in which you can define one textformatter for each extra field. All installed text formatters will be listet in this dropdown.

post-2759-0-92009200-1464860053_thumb.pn

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Is ImageExtra working in repeaters? I can't save the description and caption fields and also not delete the image. (see screenshot)

I use ImageExtra with an image slider on the same website and it is working fine. :)  But in this repeater it's not ...

So it seems I can't use an image in a repeater in this website?

(This would spoil the plan  :( )

Any ideas?

Thanks!

post-3713-0-84386400-1465725415_thumb.jp

Update:

Not sure if this has to do with ImageExtra at all. The whole repeater doesn't seem to work. If I put text in a text-field and save: the text is gone after saving. Don't know what is wrong here ...

Update: 

The problem is that these field dependencies don't work in repeaters. 

Sorry for blaming the Module  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great work!

hi @Henrik, glad you figured out yourself what caused the problem. I just wanted to test images in repeaters again. But I've got a lot of pages out there which are using images containing image extra fields inside repeaters!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is a known issue, but the orientation dropdown isn't working with the new image field from PW 3.0 and 2.8.
I tried the develop branch, but had no luck.

Anyway thx for this great module!

Edit: I just found out, that the dropdown is working in grid view, but not in list view
Edit2: none of the extra fields is working in list view

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2015 at 1:00 PM, adrian said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding the error - I still need to look at this again, but for now I have a new problem for you :)

It looks like the Page Link option isn't working properly - it just shows a text input with "0" as the value.

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.59.43 PM.png

If I load "InputfieldPageListSelect.min.js" in the module, then it works as expected.

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.59.56 PM.png

Hello, would you mind to point how to do this, I get this very same error.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

My first time using this module - very cool. :)

For custom "additional" fields it would be nice to be able to set a field label as well as the field name, so field labels in the page editor can have spaces instead of underscores, etc. Maybe the field labels could be defined in the same table that is used for selecting TextFormatters?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robin S said:

My first time using this module - very cool. :)

For custom "additional" fields it would be nice to be able to set a field label as well as the field name, so field labels in the page editor can have spaces instead of underscores, etc. Maybe the field labels could be defined in the same table that is used for selecting TextFormatters?

Big +1 for this - sometimes it can be very hard to explain what should go in a field without a label.

• Like 2

I thought about this feature as well from time to time :). There is a new version 1.0.1 which fixes some PHP7 issues and adds the possibility to set custom labels for each extra field. It also supports multi-language usage. Furthermore I changed the way the extra fields (form) are rendered. Now you can click a tab and briefly hold (aka long-click) it and all extra fields will switch to that language. And I removed the checkbox for the caption field. If it was set, it will be added as first item in the `other fields` input field.

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 17.07.25.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 17.07.09.png

• Like 6

This looks awesome @justb3a - thank you!

While you're on a roll, I don't suppose you'd like to add the ability to define the width of custom fields so we can float them on one line?

The other thing that would really help would be an options type field with select/radios/checkbox options.

Sorry, I know that's a lot - just a wishlist :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adrian said:

While you're on a roll, I don't suppose you'd like to add the ability to define the width of custom fields so we can float them on one line?

haha, I tried this today but $field->columnWidth = 50; has been ignored. So I guess I need to change the whole markup, wrap the fields inside a list or something like that. Today I just wanted to finish the other feature and didn't investigate further. But I keep it in mind. Furthermore I won't add another column for the widths of a field, I would prefer to set it to 50. Otherwise I've to add one more column to define the number of rows the textarea should be – for each field.

13 minutes ago, adrian said:

The other thing that would really help would be an options type field with select/radios/checkbox options.

I know... There is a github issue for this as well. For now I got no good idea how the interface / structure could look like – it has to be as easy as possible for the user to add / remove / manipulate the fields. Maybe a simple input field where the user is able to add all option fields (comma-separated). Once the module settings has been saved one more table could appear. In this table the user could be able to set a type (select, radio, checkbox) and the options (comma-separated input). But what about multi-language labels and options? ??? This would blow up the whole settings a lot... If you have a good idea, just let me know!

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts on those.

I have a couple of weird things for you.

Now even with description field rows set to 0 I still get a label for the Description field.

Also, the input>text fields are now textarea fields - I think it looks kinda weird when you only want simple setting entries.

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.02.49 AM.png

Thanks @justb3a for the updates, it's getting better and better!

There's a PHP notice in the new release:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: otherField in .../site/modules/ImageExtra/ImageExtra.module:992

If you use Tracy Debugger it's easy to spot.

4 hours ago, adrian said:

I have a couple of weird things for you.
Now even with description field rows set to 0 I still get a label for the Description field.
Also, the input>text fields are now textarea fields - I think it looks kinda weird when you only want simple setting entries.

You're right. The check whether to show the description label or not missed a condition. Since adding the opportunity to add textformatters I changed InputfieldText to InputfieldTextarea. Textformatters like Newlines to Unordered List doesn't make that much sense if you aren't able to add line breaks. I added a condition: all fields default to InputfieldText except the fields which got a textformatter assigned. I'm not that happy with the layout/styles right now. I need to invest some more time optimizing the layout.

3 hours ago, tpr said:

There's a PHP notice in the new release:

You're right, too. I missed the following scenario: checked captionField but added no otherField.

The fixes are merged into the master branch :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, justb3a said:

Since adding the opportunity to add textformatters I changed InputfieldText to InputfieldTextarea. Textformatters like Newlines to Unordered List doesn't make that much sense if you aren't able to add line breaks.

I understand the thinking here, but agree with @adrian that often you want a single line input rather than multi-line. I know you want to avoid an overly-complicated interface but perhaps there could a "Rows" input for additional fields like for the Description field?

1 minute ago, Robin S said:

I understand the thinking here, but agree with @adrian that often you want a single line input rather than multi-line. I know you want to avoid an overly-complicated interface but perhaps there could a "Rows" input for additional fields like for the Description field?

But:

9 minutes ago, justb3a said:

all fields default to InputfieldText except the fields which got a textformatter assigned

I am pretty happy with this solution - works for me anyways!

Just now, adrian said:

10 minutes ago, justb3a said:

all fields default to InputfieldText except the fields which got a textformatter assigned

I am pretty happy with this solution - works for me anyways!

Myself, I add SmartyPants and HTML Entity Encoder textformatters to all text fields.

• Like 1