Auto Append/Prepend to Template

Mike Rockett

If this can already be done, then shoot me. ;)

I often find myself specifying the header/footer (prepend/append) for each template on every site I make. I think this could be automated, if asked to be by the developer/designer.

This could be done by means of a check box for each. "Prepend this file to all templates" and "Append this file..."

Feasible?

/**
 * Prepend template file 
 * PHP file in /site/templates/ that will be loaded before each page's template file.
 * #notes Example: _init.php
 * @var string
 */
$config->prependTemplateFile = '';

/**
 * Append template file 
 * PHP file in /site/templates/ that will be loaded after each page's template file.
 * #notes Example: _main.php
 * @var string
 */
$config->appendTemplateFile = '';

Additionally there are settings about changing / preventing these configs in the template edit section.

The just isn't a global configuration gui in ProcessWire right now. (Read below) But it shouldn't be hard to just pack all those $config variables in a module with some forms. I think to remember that Ryan some time ago said it's this way so /site/config.php doesn't have to be writeable or something like that.

It's not really in the dev branch. It's still an extra module to install by now even though it looks like it would be in the core if one just reads over the first lines. That's what confused me about it, because I thought I would have noticed it sometimes as a core module.