Developer Documentation

qtguru

All is in the cheatsheet and website docu is years old but still actual and valid (we are working on it continually). (I can update a 2.3 install to latest and it still works).The API doesn't change and there's a version number on each entry and if it's deprecated it will show as such. It's only that some of newer API (only few) are not yet in the cheatsheet, like many other hidden API that's not meant for the cheatsheet officially.

• Like 1

Cheatsheet and Extended docu is built on PW! We are a small team that has access to the cheatsheet PW backend. But practically anything would be possible to make this even more a place where dedicated people would be able to contribute. We're just not yet sure how. 

How is the data stored on the cheatsheet? Would it be possible to host the project on GitHub? I've wanted to add stuff many times, but it's not really obvious how to contribute.

• Like 1

How is the data stored on the cheatsheet? Would it be possible to host the project on GitHub? I've wanted to add stuff many times, but it's not really obvious how to contribute.

I think the Processwire Recipes project does it's updating this way? Through forks an PR on Github?

• 3 months later...

Been planning to automate the process....either within or outside PW...e.g: 

https://github.com/apigen/apigen

https://github.com/ApiGen/ApiGen/wiki/Generate-API-to-Github-pages-via-Travis

Managed to get round to this; fully auto-generated and regularly updated ApiGen docs for all currently maintained ProcessWire branches...More info here

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to contribute to the documentation or cheatsheet?

I know, that the heavy users probably will now use kongondos apigen documentation or look at the core files themselves.

But I think most users will first look at the documentation or cheatsheet.

Often when I go through Ryans older blog posts, I find nice methods, that are nowhere else documented. Here are two examples:

Those two examples can't be found neither in the documentation nor the cheatsheet. Also they can't be found through the site search and are hard to find through the Google Search.

I wouldn't consider myself being capable writing the documentation, but I would like to post when I find something is missing. Should I do this in this forum or is there a form/mail address I can contact?

• Like 6

If you have a list of a few already, please feel free to post here for now.

What would be nice in the near future is if the site cam make use of the ProDrafts module so people can submit proposed changes to pages easily, but that could be a bit hard to manage and open to abuse.

…, but that could be a bit hard to manage and open to abuse.

Maybe it would be possible to simply require a forum account to be able to submit drafts (or in the beginning to create user accounts manually for the people wanting to help). It doesn't have to be open for everyone at anytime in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Suggestion on documentation for $pages->find() method

Would it be helpful to include more information about 'Selector Engine Array Support' in the documentation for the $pages->find() method? 
It's nicely documented in the blog from April 1, 2016, which talks about new things for ProcessWire 3.0.13. 

• New: selectors as associative arrays
  • New: selectors as regular arrays

Blog: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.13-selector-upgrades-and-new-form-builder-version/#building-a-selector-string-with-user-input-example

$pages->find() method documentation: https://processwire.com/api/ref/pages/find/