Plesk on PW not working

Peter Knight

Hi all

Does anyone here create their PW sites on Plesk (12) on Linux on a VPS? I have a general web dev question for you.

When you've created a web space and installed PW, does the Plesk Preview link ever work for you?

I'm really interested in this as I'm new to VPS and Plesk and seem to be having issues with PW sites prior to the DNS propagation.

My hosting company is telling me this a Plesk "feature" while someone else blamed PW.

For example, have a look at my own site which does have the DNS kicked in.

post-1166-0-74075300-1422817167_thumb.pn

Clicking Preview brings up my site but none of the CSS loads and the paths are clearly broken.

post-1166-0-10623700-1422817297_thumb.pn

I've tried numerous combinations of changing the rewrite base  and yet nothing works.

It looks like Please has issues with mod_rewrite full stop - I just had a quick Google and there are certainly lots of historical pages like this out there with people having to jump through hoops with it to get it working: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12130198/php-and-mod-rewrite-problems-on-plesk

This may be of use as well as you need that AllowOverride line for .htaccess to work properly (well, as you'd expect anyway): http://www.codero.com/knowledge-base/questions/335/Using+Mod+Rewrite

I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be since I've only run into Plesk once and run away about half a day later. I'm a WHM/cPanel man myself :)

• Like 1

I am running some dedicated servers with Plesk; never had issues with PW, but there are mostly issues with "preview" (if site was PW doesn't matter) when the site's domain was not linked to server's IP.

Especially if the site is working otherwise, i.e. you can navigate pages and so on, this sounds more like a compatibility issue with URLs in use (or perhaps something else in Plesk) and ProcessWire's method of finding out required paths. Much of related magic happens in index.php, so that's where I'd start looking.

Never used Plesk myself, and sadly it seems that I can't get my hands on one of those without paying for it, so I probably won't be able to debug this further :)

It looks like Plesk has issues with mod_rewrite full stop - I just had a quick Google and there are certainly lots of historical pages like this out there with people having to jump through hoops with it to get it working: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12130198/php-and-mod-rewrite-problems-on-plesk

It seems to be a big problem. I've been googling away over the weekend and the work arounds are very hacky and mixed. Wish I'd know prior to buying the Plesk license. Perhaps a move to cPanel might be in my future.

Especially if the site is working otherwise, i.e. you can navigate pages and so on, this sounds more like a compatibility issue with URLs in use (or perhaps something else in Plesk) and ProcessWire's method of finding out required paths. Much of related magic happens in index.php, so that's where I'd start looking.

Yes, this particular site is working fine when viewed normally. It's only the preview mode which breaks PW. Doesn't seem exclusive to PW though.

I've found an acceptable work around which I can live with.

If I switch the Preview setting to Quick Preview based on a domain within the VPS, I can get a URL structure as follows

customer-site.tld.192-0-2-12.your-domain.tld.

This is much better albeit possibly just a workaround.

Website Preview

Your customers can preview their websites during domain name propagation. The two preview modes are available: Quick Preview and Limited Preview.

Quick Preview, the recommended option, presents customers' sites as subdomains of one of your domains. For example, customer-site.tld will be available for preview as customer-site.tld.192-0-2-12.your-domain.tld. Here 192-0-2-12 is the site's IP where dots are replaced with dashes. Note that if you do not specify a preview domain, the site preview function will be unavailable to your customers.
(Default) 

Limited Preview is used in earlier Plesk versions; it presents customers' sites as directories on the Plesk server. For example, server-host-name:8443/sitepreview/http/your-domain.tld/. This mode has two major drawbacks: Only authorized users can view such websites and some scripts and Flash animation might not work well on them. We recommend to use this mode only before the Quick Preview is configured.
Note that both these options do not work properly for password-protected directories.

The preview selector and the form to configure the preview domain name is located in Tools & Settings > Website Preview Settings.