LostKobrakai

InputfieldChosenSelect

Thanks LostKobrakai,  I was trying to make it work with a Text Field instead of a Page Field. :-[  Working like a charm and I love it.  Thanks again.

# Small Note
Installing the module via Somas ModulesManager (Lightbox) will only install InputfieldChosenSelect but not InputfieldChosenSelectMultiple. Would be helpful to have a note in the description and/or the error note (if InputfieldChosenSelect is selected for a multi Page Field) that this should be done manually.

Updated the module with a newer chosen release (security related) and fixed the hardcoded admin location in the warning about wrongly configured fields.

@kixe

There's already a warning if you're using a multi-page field with the wrong inputfield (because it changed from the first versions of the module). I've added a note about installing it beforehand. But there's also no * in the inputfield select for the field, which should indicate that the inputfield is not meant to be used for a multi page field.

• Like 1

@LostKobrakai - see issue here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13164-http-error-500-when-opening-some-template-pages/

Described issue happens when script reaches allowed memory limits. I guess it is because ChosenSelect fails to handle too much pages (20000 pages in m case). Anyway, when I've changed inputfield to PageAutocomplete - issue dissapeared.

That's expected. The chosen library was created to be a seemless enhanced select field (meaning it will be fully useable without js), which is why it does not have any ajax capabilities and therefore has the same problem as all other non ajaxy inputfields when loading a ton of pages.

• Like 1

Just a heads up that the newest version (ProcessWire 3.0.22 devns) breaks some things, one of which is module settings fields on some modules, this being one of them (the Placeholder Text field will not save any value). (Still looking into the cause and hope to discover fix soon as it also affects my inputfield modules).

**This is now fixed in 3.0.23 devns**

Edited by Macrura
issue resolved
  • Like 2

thank you lostkobrakai, awesom module!

suggestion: could you add a css rule that hides the select input right from the beginning? it is hidden afterwards via jquery anyhow but as long as it is visible it leads to some ugly display of the unstyled select field.

do you understand what i mean? :)

Chosen is a progressive enhancement for the plain select, which is why it doesn't do anything to the select until it's started by javascript. That behaviour is on purpose.

hi lostkobrakai,

i think you didn't get me... see this screencast. i think it is much nicer to hide the select via css (after the reload) than having it show up and hide it afterwards:

chosen.gif

anyhow... if you do not like this enhancement i'll just leave my line css in place. but i don't see a reason not to add this by default for every chosen input field

#Inputfield_my_chosen_select { display: none; }

I fully understand. Hiding the select essentially means the input is unusable if javascript does not work for whatever reason. That's exactly what you want to prevent with any progressive enhancement. It's true, that in the context of the backend it might not be a pressing issue, but I'm not really convinced that showing nothing before js kicks in is much better than showing the original select field. There will always be a layout update.

Well you could hide with CSS add a CSS animation to unhide after a few seconds, which would ensure the select to be visible (in theory). Because of the few seconds delay the JavaScript will probably make changes to the DOM so the original select won't be visible. I've used this tecnhique in a site with a loader, to remove the loader even if there's something with JavaScript.

Anyway, I think this kind of FOUC doesn't matter too much in an admin.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it works correctly, but by a quick glance in the code FieldtypeSelectExtOptions should let you choose InputfieldChosenSelect if installed.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LostKobrakai said:

I'm not sure if it works correctly, but by a quick glance in the code FieldtypeSelectExtOptions should let you choose InputfieldChosenSelect if installed.

Nice, I am installing the module right now!

How come it cames in 2 separates modules? I see  InputfieldChosenSelect and InputfieldChosenSelectMultiple in my new modules list.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. It should show the selectable items and filter them if you start typing.

7 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. It should show the selectable items and filter them if you start typing.

oh yeah, i was expecting to see the search bar and icon but that's only on single selects not multiple.

Is it somehow possible to use this in the frontend? (I'm new to PW, sorry for the question) .

Feature Request: Also, i have the multiple field using pages that have children (nested categories). Would it be possible to visually clarify this relation? Right now all the pages are listed (which is a good thing) but the user can't tell the difference between main categories and sub categories…

BTW, love your module, it's the easiest to use to select relations imho.

16 minutes ago, noelboss said:

Is it somehow possible to use this in the frontend? (I'm new to PW, sorry for the question) .

Feature Request: Also, i have the multiple field using pages that have children (nested categories). Would it be possible to visually clarify this relation? Right now all the pages are listed (which is a good thing) but the user can't tell the difference between main categories and sub categories…

BTW, love your module, it's the easiest to use to select relations imho.

Hi @noelboss

You can play with "Label field" options. Select Custom format and put something like {parent.title}.

Are you talking about front end editing? 

Then i will also get the parent of all categories, and it's still not visually clear:

• Categories - Cat 1
  • Categories - Cat 2
  • Cat 1 - Child Cat 1

I'm talking about using the input type in the frontend for editing yes, like in a firm that I build and using the type as input. I'm no yet sure how to do it the PW way.

Frontend editing implies the native processwire functionality for that, not apropos building your own forms;
when you build your own forms you can use any jquery plugins that you want, so you can just load the chosen assets and init the field on your form.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Macrura
      This is a new module, hope to release soon, which allows extended field descriptions, in currently 2 ways.
      The main feature of the module is that you can have a short description and then a 'more...' link which drops down a longer block of text.
      This is achieved by separating the intro/visible text and the rest with 5 dashes.

Example setup:

the 2nd way is if you are using AdminThemeUiKit, you can show extended field instructions in a panel. The content of the panel is edited on a regular PW page. This use case would probably not be that common, but if you had a field that required some extended instructions for how to use, this could be useful; Also, since this allows you to target information and instructions down at the field level, it could reduce the amount of documentation needed on a global level, since it is a lot more context targeted.

• By netcarver
      Part 1 of a 2 part Module & Service Reveal.
      I'm currently working on a new module: ModuleReleaseNotes that was inspired by the work I originally did on making Ryan's ProcessWireUpgrades module "release" aware. In the end, I decided to ditch the approach I was originally taking and instead work on a module that hooked in to the UpgradeConfirmation dialog and the module edit page.
      Aims
      My aims for this module are as follows...
      Make discovery of a module's changes prior to an upgrade a trivial task. Make breaking changes very obvious. Make reading of a module's support documentation post-install a trivial task. Make module authors start to think about how they can improve the change discovery process for their modules. Make sure the display of information from the module support files/commit messages doesn't introduce a vulnerability. Looking at these in turn...
      Making discovery of a module's changes prior to upgrade a trivial task.
      This is done by adding a "What's changed section" to the upgrade confirmation dialog.  This section takes a best-effort approach to showing what's changed between the installed version and the updated version that's available via the module repository.
      At present, it is only able to talk to github-hosted repositories in order to ask them for the release notes, the changelog file (if present) and a list of commits between the git tag that matches the installed version and the tag matching the latest version.
      It will display the Release Notes (if the author is using the feature), else it will display the commits between the tags (if tagging is used by the module author) else it will show the changelog file (if present) else it will show the latest N commits on the master branch (N, of course, being configurable to your liking.)
      An example of the Github Release Notes pulled in for you, taken from Mike Rockett's TextformatterTypographer Module...

An example of a tag-to-tag commit list from the same module...

An example of a changelog - formatted to show just the changes (formatting styles will change)...

Finally, an example of a fallback list of commits - sorry Adrian ...

Making breaking changes obvious.
      This is currently done by searching for a set of configurable search strings. Later versions may be able to support breaking change detection via use of Semantic Versioning - but this may require some way of signalling the use of this versioning standard on a module-by-module basis.
      For now, then, you can customise the default set of change markers. Here I have added my own alias to the list of breaking change markers and the changes section of the changelog is styled accordingly (these will be improved)...

Make reading of a module's support documentation, post-install, a trivial task.
      This is done by making some of the support files (like the README, CHANGELOG and LICENSE files) readable from the module's information/settings screen. There is an option to control the initial open/closed state of this section...

Here is Tracy's README file from within the module settings page... 

Make module authors start to think about how they can improve the change discovery process for their modules.
      There are notes in each of the sections displayed on the upgrade confirmation page that help authors use each of the features...

Make sure display of external information doesn't introduce a vulnerability.
      This is an ongoing concern, and is the thing that is most likely to delay or prevent this module's release. Currently, output is formatted either via Markdown + HTML Purifier (if it was originally a Markdown file) or via htmlspecialchars() if it has come from a plaintext file.

Ongoing...
      For now, I've concentrated on integration with GitHub, as most people use that platform to host their code. I know a few people are hosting their repositories with BitBucket (PWFoo comes to mind) and some with GitLab (Mike Rockett?) and I would eventually like to have adaptor implementations for these providers (and perhaps GitKraken) - but for now, GitHub rules and the other hosts are unsupported.
      I hope to have this ready for general release within the next week.
    • By blynx
      Hej,
      A module which helps including Photoswipe and brings some modules for rendering gallery markup. Feedback highly appreciated

Modules directory: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/markup-processwire-photoswipe
      .zip download: https://github.com/blynx/MarkupProcesswirePhotoswipe/archive/master.zip
      You can add a photoswipe enabled thumbnail gallery / lightbox to your site like this. Just pass an image field to the renderGallery method:
      <?php $pwpswp = $modules->get('Pwpswp'); echo $pwpswp->renderGallery($page->nicePictures); Options are provided like so:
      <?php $galleryOptions = [ 'imageResizerOptions' => [ 'size' => '500x500' 'quality' => 70, 'upscaling' => false, 'cropping' => false ], 'loresResizerOptions' => [ 'size' => '500x500' 'quality' => 20, 'upscaling' => false, 'cropping' => false ], 'pswpOptions' => (object) [ 'shareEl' => false, 'indexIndicatorSep' => ' von ', 'closeOnScroll' => false ] ]; echo $pswp->renderGallery($page->images, $galleryOptions); More info about all that is in the readme: https://github.com/blynx/MarkupProcesswirePhotoswipe
      What do you think? Any ideas, bugs, critique, requests?
      cheers
      Steffen
    • By mtwebit
      Tasker is a module to handle and execute long-running jobs in Processwire. It provides a simple API  to create tasks (stored as PW pages), to set and query their state (Active, Waiting, Suspended etc.), and to execute them via Cron, LazyCron or HTTP calls.
      Creating a task
      $task = wire('modules')->Tasker->createTask($class, $method, $page, 'Task title', $arguments); where $class and $method specify the function that performs the job, $page is the task's parent page and $arguments provide optional configuration for the task.
      Executing a task
      You need to activate a task first
      wire('modules')->Tasker->activateTask($task); then Tasker will automatically execute it using one of its schedulers: Unix cron, LazyCron or TaskerAdmin's REST API + JS client.
      Getting the job done
      Your method that performs the task looks like
      public function longTask($page, &$taskData, $params) { ... } where $taskData is a persistent storage and $params are run-time options for the task.
      Monitoring progress, management
      The TaskerAdmin module provides a Javascript-based front-end to list tasks, to change their state and to monitor their progress (using a JQuery progressbar and a debug log area). It also allows the on-line execution of tasks using periodic HTTP calls performed by Javascript.

Monitoring task progress (and log messages if debug mode is active)

Task data and log

Detailed info (setup, task dependencies, time limits, REST API etc.) and examples can be found on GitHub.
      This is my first public PW module. I'm sure it needs improvement

• By netcarver
      A very simple textformatter that was inspired by Diogo's RemoveHeight textformatter.
      This one strips the height from any images and either adds a custom class or adds a max-width:100% as an embedded style.
      Github: https://github.com/netcarver/TextformatterFluidImages
      PW Repo: To Be Confirmed.