Dev or Stable branch?

Robin S

Are you using PW Dev or Stable?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. On Production sites

2. 2. On Development sites

I'm building my first site in ProcessWire, and I'm using the Stable branch. But I see some attractive features in the Dev branch.

So my questions are about how safe it is to use the Dev branch, and who the Dev branch is "for".

Is the Dev branch actually pretty stable? Do those of you using the Dev branch run into bugs very often?

And is it recommended for ProcessWire experts only? I get the impression from what I've been reading in the forum that quite a lot of people use the Dev branch. Would it be unwise for me, as a ProcessWire beginner, to build my first site using the Dev branch?

I would say that in general starting a new site with the dev branch is a decent approach. I typically update my local test sandbox install with the each new set of commits and depending on Ryan's comments about the commit I will sometimes even update live sites after seeing that everything looks stable for a few days. Occasionally he will mention that a commit contains lots of changes and to be cautious - in that case I may hold off on updating live sites a while longer so I am sure things are ok.

• Like 2

ProcessWire is an interesting one in that the dev branch is usually really stable to be honest.

I would say that most of the issues tend to be really minor usually, but Adrian's advice is good (as usual) - see what's been updated and decide whether you want to wait a few days or not. So many of us are using the dev branch that things get rectified pretty quickly and unless you're using brand new functionality that's literally only been out for 24 hours you shouldn't run into too many surprises - even then it's usually pretty solid.

Usually :)

• Like 2

Have used the Dev on most of my projects without any problems. There's a great little Module called CoreUpgrade which allows me, within a few clicks, to upgrade my PW installations to the latest Dev branches. I know I shouldn't be so eager to have a site running several versions ahead of the Stable version but it's just too addictive.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, and the tip about the CoreUpgrade module. I'll give the Dev branch a go.

Not sure if the forum supports polls but it would be interesting to conduct one to see what proportion of the PW user base is using Dev vs Stable.

Not sure if the forum supports polls but it would be interesting to conduct one to see what proportion of the PW user base is using Dev vs Stable.

I added a poll for you to this thread. Let's see how everyone responds :)

• Like 2