Admin login problem

Rinaldi

Hello!

First of all, I am really looking forward to have lively conversations with you all, and becoming skilled with PW, I think this might be exactly what I have been looking for. Last month I decided to learn code, registered myself at codecademy, completed the HTML and CSS tracks, and recently have been producing some nice one-pagers with Foundation. This morning I watched the two episode Philipp Reiner special on how easy it is to simply copy-paste the HTML into PW, and then make the necessary changed to have it dynamic.

---

Now, I installed PW in a subdir: 'www.rinaldi.nl/projects/pw' and for some reason it shows the Default template, but clicking on the admin link does not bring me to the admin login.

I have done everything in the troubleshoot guide, I have mod_rewrite enabled, uncommented the rewritebase /pw/, etc. The only thing I haven't tried yet, is to start all over again with a clean install. But maybe this isn't necessary(?).

Is there anything else that I have to take into account?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi Rinaldi, and welcome to PW!  :-)

I think your RewriteBase should be set to /projects/pw/, as you need to define the entire folder path from the root of your domain.

:)

Oh wow! How can I have missed that!

But no, I just edited the file to /projects/pw/, and I still can't see/access the admin :(

Are you sure it's the only RewriteBase that's uncommented? It has to be an issue with your htaccess, because I can see the admin at www.rinaldi.nl/projects/pw/?it=processwire/

Ok, hold on, I am going to do a clean install. I think it's the best option right now.

• Like 1

Nope :( I think my journey ends already.

What did I do:

- downloaded the master zip from the download page;

- unpacked it;

- renamed it to "pw";

- uploaded the pw folder with filezilla to /projects/;

- so the full slug would be www.rinaldi.nl/projects/pw;

- opened the browser at said url;

- it said hello and welcome etc. to me;

- it asked me to choose a profile;

- I chose a profile and clicked next;

- it showed me a lot of green bars, and one red bar saying that my mod_rewrite might not be working;

- so this is the moment that I opened the htaccess file and started the mentioned suggestions/solutions.

The first attempt brought me to a working homepage, a not working admin link, and not working other pages.

The second to fifth attempt showed me a 500 error after choosing a profile, either clicking on "Check again" or "Next step".

I have tried:

- uncommenting according to troubleshoot guide;

- uncommenting everything;

- changed the rewritebase thing to include my full slug.

What I really don't get is why this is not working. I have installed many different cms systems in the past, and they all worked 'out-of-the-box' :(

The reason I was excited because how nice it plays with Foundation, the framework I settled on, for the coming time. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but I am so disappointed, that I am actually gutted, as I was really excited seeing how it worked from Philipps screencasts. I am not a developer, nor do I want to become one. I simply want to design a website, have the minimal required knowledge to connect it with a cms so the client can update their site themselves, and then move on.

Is there anyone out here that can ask me to try anything else other than what is already in the troubleshoot guide, or in the other threads about this problem?

:(

I'm going to +1 this. A few installation issues on a remote server shouldn't 'end your journey'. It would be worthwhile for you to make your site the way you want to make it on your local machine (and learn in the process) and then, when you're ready to send it off to the remote server, we'll help you to do so.

:-)

(Side note: as an alternative, perhaps you'd like to setup a subdomain instead of using a subfolder? For example, pw.rinaldi.nl)

What are you on, win, mac or linux ? Install wamp, mamp or lamp accordingly and do a local pw install.

If no errors there than the problem is on your host, not in pw. Not seeing the admin while in a subdir

with pw is usually a .htaccess, rewritebase problem, or some restrictions on your host that have to be

commented back in the .htaccess file such as "options".

@Rinaldi,

why not try the bitnami stack, make your site and then once it's done come back for some instructions on how to take it live?

Wow! Thank you for this! I am curious by nature and like trying different apps just to see what it does and whether I can use it for something in the near future. Thanks for introducing me to Bitnami, this looks like app heaven to me :)

I'm going to +1 this. A few installation issues on a remote server shouldn't 'end your journey'. It would be worthwhile for you to make your site the way you want to make it on your local machine (and learn in the process) and then, when you're ready to send it off to the remote server, we'll help you to do so.

:-)

(Side note: as an alternative, perhaps you'd like to setup a subdomain instead of using a subfolder? For example, pw.rinaldi.nl)

Thanks. Yeah I am a passionate (therefor also emotional) guy, so when something I am really excited about doesn't work for me, but for anybody else, I just feel down  :mellow:

Hmmm...subdomain, never tried that for anything before, will do that today :)

What are you on, win, mac or linux ? Install wamp, mamp or lamp accordingly and do a local pw install.

If no errors there than the problem is on your host, not in pw. Not seeing the admin while in a subdir

with pw is usually a .htaccess, rewritebase problem, or some restrictions on your host that have to be

commented back in the .htaccess file such as "options".

Thanks. Yeah I already assumed that it's definitely not PW, just can't figured out who. The first thing that I checked was my host, and according to their service page they do allow mod_rewrite and actually explain what to do in htaccess.

However, what I did notice, not sure if this is the dealbreaker, but the htaccess file that comes with the download says this "htaccess.txt". The moment I change that to ".htaccess", it disappears from the directory. So I kept it as txt. Let me guess, it's really required to have it as .htaccess isn't it?

Hi Rinaldi!

It need to be renamed to .htaccess. However: in an unix operating system, files are treated as hidden if they starts with a dot character. Rename htacccess.txt to .htaccess and display hidden files in your ftp-client (or what ever you use).  I would also recommend you to work with a subdomain instead of using subfolders.  :)

• Like 2

Ladies & Gents...it works now!!!  O0 Partehhhhhhhh

Ok, literally one issue: installing in a subfolder. That's it! lol

So as Mike (and later on SMO) suggested, I installed it on subdomain. I did had to # the symlinks thing, but of course, did that already in the earlier attempts. Turns out the htaccess.txt / .htaccess, wasn't a problem, good to have that confirmed.

Maybe valuable to add this in the Troubleshoot Guide? That installing in a subfolder, instead of root (domain/subdomain), might actually be the problem-starter.

Thanks Mike, Macrura, Pwired and Smo. I can smile again woohoo! @macrura: still planning to play with that bitnami stack :P

• Like 3