Use cases for FieldtypeSelector in templates

isellsoap

Today I discovered the module FieldtypeSelector and at first sight I didn’t know how to make use of a field of this type inside a template, respectively if there are good and smart use cases for it (I’m sure there are). Do you know of any?

(Interestingly enough I could not find a single blog or forum topic/post discussing this module in the context of template development.)

I would be also interested in some (pseudo-)code examples to get a better idea of how I could integrate this field type in my template workflow. Thanks a lot in advance.

There's not much to find about it, as it's not a very old Fieldtype. Ryan released it, if I remember correctly, together with ProcessLister. That module makes seemingly the most prominent use of the fieldtype. Maybe it takes a topic like this, to make people more aware of it and it's usecases.

Like I mentioned at Twitter - we at Avoine use it mostly at backend page filtering, but I have used it twice on templates. First time was related content kind of solution and other was custom RSS feed builder.

this tutorial shows an application of the field:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8635-simple-example-for-widget-management/?p=83418

whereby the user is able to select what pages a widget shows on, using a selector, or series of selectors..

so in this scenario, a widget can end up showing under some very complex/flexible circumstances, such as:

- all child pages of a particular page

- selected pages

almost anything you can think of in terms of selecting a page with the selector api

• Like 5