Microsoft HoloLens Headset

pwired

:

Microsoft HoloLens, project holograms with a headset anywhere

in your house or working place. Looks very cool.

Looks to have way better functionality than google glass

or todays augmented reality. It is said that this is going

to work together with windows 10.

• Like 1

It does look very interesting indeed. Redmond is getting quite ambitious - not like ever before.

That said, I believe that this is going to take a long while to perfect. I hear it's quite laggy, and that the videos are really representations of what they would like it to be.

Let's see what happens once all the reviews start pouring in...

I have say the cynical side of me can think of all kinds of scenarios:

• Someone hacks them so suddenly all lamp posts disappear on the street, or you think a hole has appeared in front of you - you ignore it only to find it really HAS opened up in front of you.
  • Your kid messes around with the setting and you are being attacked by butterflies at work all day.
  • Hospital admission increase as holo wearers keep walking into people texting.
  • It starts heated debates between designers and manufacturers as to what "blue" actually is.
  • Advertisers are sued for all the accidents they cause.
  • When you take them off you run screaming under the bed clothes because "my world is sooo empty!"
  • People keep hitting each other as they swat at imaginary screens .....

And so on.

Google is pulling google glass, I note.

Good thing really. I went into a restaurant a couple of months ago and some bloke was wearing a pair. five or six people, including me, asked him to remove them so we could be sure he was not filming us. 

I did invent something called the Holonet about fifteen years ago in a book I was writing (which I really should finish one day)

It was the replacement for the internet and was a sentient system where each package of data had its own sense of family and would deliver itself by any means possible. It might use a wire, it might use an air current, or invade the mind of a flea on a dog, or catch a falling star - the entire system becomes a mystery to the designers as they have no idea how packages get from one place to another.

Bit like the beer service in our local pub, come to think of it.....

• Like 5

I have glasses (real) and hate to wear them.. so there comes some random company telling me I need to wear glasses? All this bs will never work and get accepted unless it's directly in our eye or brain. So wait another 100 years I guess.

While this is nothing new they marmarmad it differently as 'Hologram' that really isn't. Maybe there uses in sience or games but doubt it. Not ready for a long time.

• Like 1

It's funny if you take a look at the video, ignore the hologram stuff and just analyse the actions of the people there. Then you'll realise how much has to happen, before something like this really gets useful. By now it's just barely more than a 3D monitor. A year ago I wrote my bachelor theses about virtual reality and the interaction of those, but with the extra feature of (theoretical) haptic feedback of those holograms. That's the point when this will get suddenly much more interesting.

• Like 2

When I was a rebellious teenager in the 1970s, the idea of being so wired up to the world so the world would always know where I was would have been horrific. The whole point of being crazy and rebellious was that we could "escape" and "drop-out"

True escapism, the real cool proper stuff, was something self-experienced and only shared in a very defined, personal way.

Now, escapism seems to mean, "standing still so the world can see you are doing exactly the same as millions of others." The uniqueness is gone.

I have always promised myself that if I woke up one day and was insanely rich, I would start a "Disconnect" movement. Under the terms you would set a point in your life (retirement, or whenever) when you would kill your internet connection, throw away your mobile, turn off your virtual reality and bin the PC/Tablet/inplant and simply deal with the life you could see and touch around you.

It would be the final statement of being human: "That is it. I have used it as I wished and it got stuff out of me and I got stuff out of it. But now, I am going away and am no longer sharing. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish."

• Like 5

Games play a bigger role in our lives than most think. They let us escape from reality much like films do too but are interactive in a broader sense. Gadgets like glass or this holo go in the same direction but are far more driven by making money and trying to get something out we actually don't need. Kapitalismus if you wish. Wow effect. Look at what we can do!.. Exploring and getting new territory in our daily live that's yet free from ads and stuff like that. Perfectly trying to create new opportunities to blend in some thing and manipulate us. Google car is also a wonderful example. Driving a car doesn't let you use a phone or Google. Imagine wearing glasses that can be controlled by third parties track you and your behavior even more. I'm not sure we let this happen as easily as hey think. Joss says it well. We want to make our own experience with real object humans and nature. At some point breaking out of this will become a deep necessity.

• Like 2

People giggle at me with my allotment, which I have had to give up. But it has always been important to me to be able to run away on my own terms. When I was sixteen in the hot summer of 1976, it was about running away on my bike, running to secret places with my mad girl friend, and picking up a guitar at any given point and playing with people not having a clue as to who I was, where I was from or what I stood for.

In my fities (ish) the running away with the girlfriend (rather non-existent at present) is probably unlikely and my songs seem too "out there" for most people. But yelling at a stupid turnip that has refused to grow - Heaven!

If my total disconnect idea does not appeal to most, maybe a partial disconnect is in order. One of the most successful and sustainable weight reduction diets is the 5/2 fasting diet - eat well for five days and fast for a couple.

Perhaps that should be routine for technology too. Every five days, whatever the weather, you have to stand outside your door and just watch and listen (and shoot at anyone who walks past wearing VR goggles!)

• Like 2

Well Soma, you are totally right about that. But then again I always wonder my self

why so many people behave like silent sheep being robbed from democratic and

human rights, year after year. It's almost a social taboo if you stand up against it.

It really looks to me that people are afraid and do a good job hiding it.

• Like 1

Joss, you are quite right. Even at my age (23.10), I continuously think about all the things that are changing our societies; our world. We do need a disconnect.

Was watching Life on Mars (US version) a few weeks back. If you don't know it, the beginning of the story goes like this: detective Sam get's hit by a car in 2008, dies, and is thrown into 1973. Along the way (he decides to do what he does best, and be a detective), he mentions something about cell-phones to the other detective, who has a good laugh, enquiring as to why on earth anyone would want to carry a 'portable telephone' with them all day. Had a good giggle at that - and then realised how different everything was back then. (Also, I'm heavily open-minded to all possibility, so there was a bit of shock in there too - people were very set in their ways 40 years ago.)

There are so many arguments one could throw in the hat regarding tech and its direction. Whilst I'm a tech-savvy person (and enjoy it), I see all the flaws and problems. My big issue is what it's doing to people. Here in SA, we have an education problem which stems from the apartheid era. These days, African kids are not being taught well. They're being taught not to ask questions about their government (you should read some of the Zuma stories). They're being taught to be ignorant. The real problem is that this also happening on a global scale - albeit in different ways. Tech, at an exponential rate, is making us all ignorant.

As I'm not ready to step back from the world I live in, I make use of the 'material world' in ways that comfort me, considering I'm 'awake' to the madness. I design websites for one reason: my client has a dream, and I want to help them get there.

But, we do need a disconnect - a big one at that. (Although, some day that our use of technology has altered our genes, in that, as children, we automagically know how to use half the stuff that's out there. I'm sure its arguable.)

Back to the world of 1973: I'd love to be able to know what people were really like in the 70s. Without all the fancy tech, what were people like compared to today? (Sure, there were TVs - people have always said that they were being fed subliminal information since the invention of a television; may even have been why it was invented in the first place - but today is over-kill in comparison.)

Could go on an on -- I have a continuously-spinning mind. Am interested in the fundamentals, though.

• Like 1

In my opinion it's not exactly about doing a disconnect. Nowadays tech is our constant focus. You work at a computer, in the evenings, you chat on your phone or your tablet and so on. It's this omnipresence that I think is the problem. If the techology could master the step of becoming independent from this devices I imagine it could do a better job of enhancing real life, as currently it's more of an replacement, which has such an all-consuming feel to it.

• Like 1

which has such an all-consuming feel to it.

But that is exactly what is behind it. We already are consumers in a consumption society

but They want us to become consumers on a deeper level, consuming even more.

Tech is making this all possible. The problem is that we are allowing this to happen

and that's why it's penetrating deeper and deeper into our lifes. Remember the matrix

where a human being was compared with a battery ? Fun to watch then but becoming

very real today. Through Tech, our social life, behaviour, work, believes, etc, etc

is literally powering companies like Google, Facebook, Apple, and more are on the rise.

But the real problem is that we are allowing it. Nobody will admit it but we are in fact

sheep following other sheep in their behaviour making those tech companies grow

into our lifes. History shows that it will always take a strong individual who really

stands up to stop the process.

Back to the world of 1973: I'd love to be able to know what people were really like in the 70s. Without all the fancy tech, what were people like compared to today? (Sure, there were TVs - people have always said that they were being fed subliminal information since the invention of a television; may even have been why it was invented in the first place - but today is over-kill in comparison.)

I have just finished a novel about a group of 16 year olds set in the the long hot summer of 1976 (looking for an agent at the moment). Although it is partly a comedy, it also looks at things like anti-Semitism, the National Front in the UK, homophobia, racism and all the other things which were not just kicking around but were on main stream tv in the UK in the form of sitcoms and light entertainment - and our parents wondered why we all rebelled?

So, for a special one-off treat, here is the introduction and first three chapters of my novel (before the story gets heavy) - without its title :)

WhatHappened.pdf

Note: this is from the draft, so ignore mistakes.

PS: Note about subliminal ads - they never existed, but everyone believed it anyway. Something never change.

• Like 1

In my opinion it's not exactly about doing a disconnect. Nowadays tech is our constant focus. You work at a computer, in the evenings, you chat on your phone or your tablet and so on. It's this omnipresence that I think is the problem. If the techology could master the step of becoming independent from this devices I imagine it could do a better job of enhancing real life, as currently it's more of an replacement, which has such an all-consuming feel to it.

I won't argue with that, given my position (and almost everyone else's), but I must say that we at least need to take a step back for a moment and ask if we're doing it all right.

I have just finished a novel about a group of 16 year olds set in the the long hot summer of 1976 (looking for an agent at the moment). Although it is partly a comedy, it also looks at things like anti-Semitism, the National Front in the UK, homophobia, racism and all the other things which were not just kicking around but were on main stream tv in the UK in the form of sitcoms and light entertainment - and our parents wondered why we all rebelled?

So, for a special one-off treat, here is the introduction and first three chapters of my novel (before the story gets heavy) - without its title :)

Great stuff, have downloaded and shall give it a read this weekend (hope I have time). :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The true horror of Microsoft HoloLens: 

B75rZR7CQAA50Qz.jpg

It would be worse if that appeared over the Urinal in a public lavatory.....

OMG i can see it now.. pop up and say... " I see your trying to pee.." "do you need help?"  "wow your taking a long time maby you should see a doctor".....

lol

• Like 1