404 Page

mike131

I want to change pages where you would get a simple page that says

Unable to complete this request due to an error. Error has been logged. Administrator has been notified.

To show a 404 page in the templates folder instead.

How do I go about doing this?

Thank you!

EDIT:

I do have a 404 page at example.com/404

So for me, there are a bunch of children items under example.com/about, such as

example.com/about/resource

example.com/about/team

I want example.com/about to go to the 404 page since there is nothing there, only the children.

Check out the folder called “errors” in your template directory. You’ll find 500.html and a readme.txt. This html file will be displayed when a fatal error occurs, and you can customize it.

To manually cause the 404 page to show, you can throw this exception in your template code:

throw new Wire404Exception();

However, it sounds like this recipe might suit your needs better than a 404 error page: First child redirect on ProcessWire Recipes. It’s just a single line:

if($page->numChildren) $session->redirect($page->child()->url);
die();
  • Like 1

Check out the folder called “errors” in your template directory. You’ll find 500.html and the following readme.txt. This html file will be displayed when a fatal error occurs, and you can customize it.

To manually cause the 404 page to show, you can throw this exception in your template code:

throw new Wire404Exception();

However, it sounds like this recipe might suit your needs better than a 404 error page: First child redirect on ProcessWire Recipes. It’s just a single line:

if($page->numChildren) $session->redirect($page->child()->url);
die();

Thank you so much for this !!

(I said “the following readme” because I was going to paste it until I saw your edit)

By the way, if you use a template without a file, pages using that template will show the 404 page automatically. You should probably look into what’s causing the error in /about/’s template.