Jumplinks

Mike Rockett

Jumplinks for ProcessWire

Latest Release: 1.5.63
Composer: rockett/jumplinks

⚠️ NEW MAINTAINER NEEDED: Jumplinks is in need of a new maintainer, as I’m simply unable to commit to continued development.

Jumplinks is an enhanced version of the original ProcessRedirects by Antti Peisa.

The Process module manages your permanent and temporary redirects (we'll call these "jumplinks" from now on, unless in reference to redirects from another module), useful for when you're migrating over to ProcessWire from another system/platform. Each jumplink supports wildcards, shortening the time needed to create them. Unlike similar modules for other platforms, wildcards in Jumplinks are much easier to work with, as Regular Expressions are not fully exposed. Instead, parameters wrapped in curly braces are used - these are described in the documentation.

As of version 1.5.0, Jumplinks requires at least ProcessWire 2.6.1 to run.

Documentation
View on GitLab
Download via the Modules Directory
Read the docs

Features

The most prominent features include:

• Basic jumplinks (from one fixed route to another)
  • Parameter-based wildcards with "Smart" equivalents
  • Mapping Collections (for converting ID-based routes to their named-equivalents without the need to create multiple jumplinks)
  • Destination Selectors (for finding and redirecting to pages containing legacy location information)
  • Timed Activation (activate and/or deactivate jumplinks at specific times)
  • 404-Monitor (for creating jumplinks based on 404 hits)

Additionally, the following features may come in handy:

• Stale jumplink management
  • Legacy domain support for slow migrations
  • An importer (from CSV or ProcessRedirects)

Open Source

Jumplinks is an open-source project, and is free to use. In fact, Jumplinks will always be open-source, and will always remain free to use. Forever. If you would like to support the development of Jumplinks, please consider making a small donation via PayPal.

• Like 24

<development post>

New Alpha Release - 0.1.1

The full changelog is below, but I want to highlight an important addition to the module. In its present state, this  new feature is classified as an experiment, and so it may not make it into the final 1.0 release.

The experiment is called Enhanced Path Cleaning which basically splits and hyphenates TitleCased wildcard-captures, as well as those containing abbreviations or acronyms in capital letters.

This is quite handy for those who come from a DNN background, or some other ASP-based framework.

As an example, EnvironmentStudy would become environment-study and NASALaunch would become nasa-launch.

It also changes any numbers that are not broken out with hyphens.

You'll need to turn the experiment on in the module's config page, as it is off by default.

Example from scan log:

Page not found; scanning for redirects...

- Checked at: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:20:20 +0200
    - Requested URL:
http://processwire.local/NAGMagazine/home/tabid/1027/default.aspx
    - PW Version: 2.5.13

[ASPX Content]

- Source Path (Unescaped): {path}/tabid/{id}/Default.aspx
    - Source Path (Stage 1): {path:segments}/tabid/{id:num}/Default.aspx
    - Source Path (Stage 2): ([\w/_-]+)/tabid/(\d+)/Default.aspx
    - Destination Path (Original): {path}/?otid={id}
    - Destination Path (Compiled): processwire.local/{path}/?otid={id}
    - Destination Path (Converted): processwire.local/nag-magazine/home/?otid=1027

Match found! We'll do the following redirect (301, permanent) when Debug Mode has been turned off:

- From URL: processwire.local/NAGMagazine/home/tabid/1027/default.aspx
    - To URL: processwire.local/nag-magazine/home/?otid=1027

Changelog

[5 Jan]

- Modified Module Config page
- Simplified wildcard and cleanPath() expressions
- Added 'segments' check to 'segments' smart wildcard, where only 'path' existed before
- Added 'num' check to 'num'
- Changed ellipses style (added border)
- Made Legacy Redirects temporary (302)
- Fixed CSS #ModuleEditForm declaration so other modules are not impacted by the style change
- Changed CSS p.notes to p.parNotes so we don't conflict with anything else
- Other small semantic code modifications

[6 Jan]
- Added Experiments fieldset in Module Config
- Added Enhanced Path Cleaning Experiment
- Removed license file, refer to
http://mikeanthony.mit-license.org/

• Like 2

Sometimes during a migration people have second thoughts and want to make some adjustments after redirects are in place. How about an option to redirect as 302 for a while (think of it as a probationary period) before automatically converting to 301 (so we don't forget).

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing that up, Steve. I did indeed think about this earlier, and made a comment on my to do list: "Find out if we should prevent the deletion of 301s".

Granted, that isn't the right question to ask, but it reminds me to look at the various options regarding this.

I think your idea is quite good. After such period, should we prevent the deletion of redirects?

And what does everyone else think about this?

<development post>

New Alpha Release - 0.1.2 (Breaking Changes)

This module introduces a new feature: Mapping Collections (this is the final name for it).

The feature allows you to map key/value pairs to your redirects so that you need not repeat yourself.

An example would be the following: Redirect /blog.php?id=2309 to /hello-world/, by using the following redirect:

blog.php?id={id}      =>      {id|pages}

You're wondering, what's {id|blog}? Simply put, that's called a mapping reference, which refers to an entry in a Mapping Collection.

A Mapping Collection, in this case, would look something like this:

1=a-post
2=another-post
3=third-post
2309=hello-world

So, when it comes time to redirect, it will scan the provided id against the collection called blog and, if it finds a match, will redirect accordingly.

If, however, there is no match, the segment that asked for the mapping will be left out, resulting in an invalid URL. I may get it to insert the original capture instead.

Some Screenshots:

post-2289-0-00830100-1420570260_thumb.pn

--

post-2289-0-03432300-1420568167_thumb.pn

--

post-2289-0-99072900-1420568173_thumb.pn

--

Full Changelog for this release:

[6 Jan]
- Some refactoring; moving code blocks from main module to UtilityProcess
- [New Feature] Mapping Collections
- Changed module title to Advanced Redirects [ALPHA]

Breaking Changes: The DB schemas have changed in this release. If you already have 0.1.0 or 0.1.1 installed, please uninstall it first.
  • Like 3

At this point, the module is quite feature-rich. As such, I'm pausing development. This gives time for those testing the module to do so without me introducing new things every three seconds, and it also gives me time to prepare for the whole 'back to work' thing - I return on Monday, and need to prepare for it.

I'll still be here to discuss things, but there won't be any changes for about two weeks.

Looking forward to the results/feedback of everyone's testing. :)

Update: Lol, the stuff I had to do couldn't be done today - so there are a few changes up on the repo now.

• Like 1

<development post>

Right, in terms of features: I need feedback. As mentioned, the module is feature-rich in its current state. Normal and wildcard redirects, along with mapping collections, makes this module ready for almost anything. But there are two features which I haven't implemented yet. They are:

Variables

This is probably something that may never get used. I needed it once upon a time for social accounts and user names, but it really doesn't seem practical. The idea is this: You create a redirect, and use {@something} somewhere in the destination path. Based on your variables table, it would then be replaced accordingly. Like I said, doesn't seem to be something that anyone would really make use of. However, I would like some feedback on it.

Just in Time Replacements

These would probably be used much more - they are quite handy. Say, for example, you had the following page structure in your old site:

1. About Us.html
  2. Services.html
  3. Contact Us.html

Then you have the following redirect set up:

Source Path: {page:any}.html

Destination Path: {page}/

Naturally, those pages would redirect to:

1. about-us/
  2. services/
  3. contact-us/

But now, you've decided to use different page names in your new PW site - for example: who-we-are, solutions, and connect.

Considering we're using a wildcard redirect here (saves time for a lot of pages), we don't want define more redirects to go the new pages. This is where JIT Replacements comes in. It's like a simple find and replace:

Find                                                    Replace

about-us                      who-we-are

services                      solutions

contact-us                    connect

And, therefore:

Request                                             Destination

About Us.html                 who-we-are/

Services.html                 solutions/

Contact Us.html               connect/

In a nutshell, this saves a redirect. One might argue that they may as well create redirects for each and every page, but you have to consider that not every page name will change. And what happens if you move all the pages down a level? You'd only need to change one redirect.

So, I'd like some feedback on this too. Will you find it useful?

Until I've got some decent feedback, I'm not going to add these features. With that said, and because I know some people are eager to use the module now, I'm going to release a beta. I haven't found any bugs as yet, and so I think its ready for beta status.

(Oh, and I'll add the history feature before beta release - nearly forgot about that!)

Mike, my humble opinion, that you have already huge amount of features. Adding more makes starting to use this module in simpler cases more difficult: "I installed it and it felt like total overkill for my needs.". Of course we have the current redirects module for those needs... But I think your feature set is great and would much rather see the current as stable instead of more scenarios supported.

Nearly done with the importing side of things. Hit counter will be quick and easy.

Last thing I need to ask:

Currently, a 302 redirect will occur if it has a start/end time assigned. Otherwise, it will do a 301. Should we include functionality to let the end-user choose if it should be 301/302? Or should we stick with the previous idea of a probation period?

Okay, so I've actually decided to rename the module to ProcessJumplinks. I prefer it.

https://github.com/mike-anthony/ProcessJumplinks

Hit counter is done. Still need to work on importing from Redirects module - I'll do that tomorrow as I'm super-tired now.

I don't think I'm going to make this compatible with the current stable (2.5.3). If you really want me to, please let me know.

:-)

Will also work on docs soon - though my intro post covers a lot. Nice to have docs, however.

• Like 5

Hey Mike - any thoughts of making is possible to add redirects via an API call. After the discussion this morning about imported Wordpress rewriting (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8869-wordpress-url-rewrites/), I would like to add this functionality to MigratorWordpress so that rewrites are automatically added. Obviously I can do it through SQL inserts, but thought an API method would be nice.

• Like 1