Jumplinks

Mike Rockett

That does sound like a great idea indeed. Ever think we'd have any validation issues? (May not even be a valid question - just popped into my head as I was thinking "raw import".)

Also, surely this would only apply to WP sites that are not URL-friendly? Or does Google also happen to index those horrid ?p={id} things anyway?

Well it's just that WP URL's often have the date in the URL and there are a few different format options. Of course this could be replicated in PW, but typically it isn't, so I was mostly wanting to redirect from the pretty WP format to the PW format.

So, we'd be looking to redirect /2015/01/hello-world to /blog/hello-world, for example?

Would a simple call like this suffice:

$jumplinks = $modules->get('ProcessJumplinks');
$jumplinks->add('{year}/{month}/{path}','blog/{path}');

--

Side note: would you mind renaming this topic to "Module: Jumplinks" and moving it up to "Modules/Plugins"? (also, I think the tags should go...)

I just don't want to open up a new topic when I release the final.

• Like 1

So, we'd be looking to redirect /2015/01/hello-world to /blog/hello-world, for example?

Would a simple call like this suffice:

$jumplinks = $modules->get('ProcessJumplinks');
$jumplinks->add('{year}/{month}/{path}','blog/{path}');

--

Side note: would you mind renaming this topic to "Module: Jumplinks" and moving it up to "Modules/Plugins"? (also, I think the tags should go...)

I just don't want to open up a new topic when I release the final.

Actually, I think you are right. Although there might need to be a slight variation on that, depending on the WP source format.

I hadn't ever looked at the canonical link info, so knowing that is set up correctly, I guess we don't need to worry about those ID based links - guess there really isn't much to do afterall :)

PS the "k" man beat me to moving this thread! 

Actually, I think you are right. Although there might need to be a slight variation on that, depending on the WP source format.

I hadn't ever looked at the canonical link info, so knowing that is set up correctly, I guess we don't need to worry about those ID based links - guess there really isn't much to do afterall :)

PS the "k" man beat me to moving this thread! 

There would indeed - you'd have to parse that out for each segment, and then send it off to Jumplinks.

Does the migrator automatically handle URI changes? (I may just be having a blonde moment here...)

Sorry - not sure what you mean here - changes from when till when? Sorry, now I think I am the one having the blonde moment :)

Got confused because you asked for a feature, and with good reason, and then you said it's not needed any more. For some reason, or the other, I assumed that the migrator handles old/new URIs and redirects accordingly... (I haven't used the module, so I don't know it's feature-set.)

Or I'm missing something  :huh:

Yeah, I did see that - just thought maybe someone could throw in a few hints. ;-)

Because the module is pretty much done, and ready for release (I've even just made a few screencasts which I'll upload in the morning), I'm now wondering (again) if I should make this compatible with 2.5. I guess I jumped over to the 2.6-requirement because I just love the new ModuleConfig. But, I'm sure there are quite a few people who won't be moving over to 2.6 immediately, and that would like to use Jumplinks. So I think I'll just do it.

• Like 1

I would probably keep this 2.6 only. Most use is when releasing new site, so probably most usage will be with latest and greatest ;)

Indeed, though it's a bit late. Done already. Hehe! And it works with 2.6

_________

Last round of bug-hunting (help would be awesome) before I release v1 tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

@adrian - I have added an API method, I'm sure it will come in handy.

$this->modules->ProcessJumplinks->add(string $source, string $destination, string $start = '', string $end = '')

I think that the WP migrator module should check the permalink format being used (%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/, for example) and convert it to the Jumplinks-equivalent ({year}/{month}/{name}/, in this case).

• Like 3