Jumplinks

Mike Rockett

Hi @Mike Rockett - not sure what you think about this idea, but I recently came across a situation where I think it would be helpful if Jumplinks was loaded before the core PagePathHistory module. PPH has set up and automatic redirect on a page, but I hav a more detailed set of rules set up in JL that handles urlsegments using {all}. The problem is that PPH is loading first so the JL rules were being ignored. In this case I decided to manually remove the PPH rules from its DB table, but I think that possible just setting the JL autoload priority setting might also work just fine. Do you think this would make sense in all cases?

• Like 1

@adrian Interesting point indeed, though I recall having changed the priority once or twice in the past for some reason or the other. To me, it makes sense that JL does its thing first as it acts as a user-intervention strategy in that we have to honour the user's wishes. Figuring out what those are, however, is a different story, given the different approaches/modules that are available. I wish this could be configured by the user, in the case conflicts/undesired redirects take place. Jumplinks was actually borne from a plugin I wrote for Bolt CMF, and that plugin was an absolute, undeniable 'before everything else even considers thinking of running' scenario. Before we make a decision here, I think we should get more feedback from other JL users, and perhaps get a list together of any plugin that does route-redirection along with their priorities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Mike Rockett first let me repeat what I told you two years ago: Thank you for the Jumplinks module! This is one of the big life savers when it comes to run a real-world website, IMHO. Great job, thanks for maintaining this project!

Thought it was time to update the module from 1.5.50 to 1.5.60.

Same happened to me what was reported here:

On 12/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, OllieMackJames said:

I keep getting this error:

Failed to init module: ProcessJumplinks - SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name 'last_hit'

Any ideas how to fix this?

thanks

I don't feel very comfortable with patching databases myself, but as it's just a test site I fired up phpMyAdmin.

The proposed workaround:

On 12/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, OllieMackJames said:

OK, already fixed it.

I dropped the column from the database

Then I also had to drop the whole process_jumplinks_nf table and now the error is gone

fixed the problem for me. Of course, besides the 404 log was empty, all the "Last hit" information was gone. No problem on a test site, but I don't want to loose this information on the production site. Any ideas on a better way to handle this?

Hi @HerTha - you're very welcome. I really do wish I had more time to work on JL2, which would solve this problem off the bat, but I just can't squeeze it in right now.

With this specific issue, I might land up having to do some trickery in relation to checking if the column exists. Means I need to dig into the information_schema table, which I hate doing. MariaDB supports alter/modify if not exists, but there's obviously no point in me adding something that will crash for most users.

I'm still baffled as to why it's running that schema update in the first place. The only possible thing is that the schema version somehow got 'lost' and so it re-ran it. I'm also a little puzzled as to why the _nf table had to be deleted – that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the issue at hand, which is in relation to the main table.

Before you update production, could you check the module configuration in the database for me? In the moduels table, there will be an entry for ProcessJumplinks – in the data column, there will be a _schemaVersion in the JSON payload – the value for that is what I'm looking for. I'll also need the current version of JL that you're running on the production site. Based on that, I might be able to diagnose. If we're lucky, it might resort to a simple correction of the schemaVersion, in case it didn't successfully update before.

• Like 1

If you could have a quick look at those database details before I carry out the update, that would be great! Thanks a lot for your offer. Maybe it spreads some light on what's going on behind the scenes, on such server/setup. I'll send you a PM then (it'll be 2..3 weeks from now)...

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 4:25 PM, Mike Rockett said:

These kinds of redirects become somewhat tricky as requesting index.php is the same as requesting the root of the site. I have worked around this, but it would still be better to do this via an htaccess redirect. Unfortunately, it would be mean two redirects as you are using a mapping collection.

Just after line 129 of your htaccess file (part 13, regarding "www"), add the following:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^\/index\.php [NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=(\d+) [NC]
RewriteRule ^ /index_php/%1? [R,L]

This will redirect, for example, /index.php?id=321 to /index_php/321.

Now, change your jumplink source to /index_php/{id}.

I have the same problem. I tried this solution but the redirect still does not work. Most of the sources are strings, they don't work and I have 2 numbers, one of them goes to the home-page and one of them returns "TOO MANY REDIRECTS".

This is a part of the mapping collection:

mum_aktuelles=/
3295=jobs
mum_kontakt=kontakt
3294=datenschutz
mum_impressum=impressum

On 4/23/2020 at 5:19 PM, Mike Rockett said:

@2hoch11 – please could you share your jumplink source and destination, the htaccess code, and the debug log (debug mode is in the module config)?

@Mike Rockett

Meanwhile the website ist online and I put the redirects directly in the htaccess before the ProcessWire redirects. I hope this causes no security issues. And I mentioned a "TOO MANY REDIRECTS" problem. That was my fault. I forgot to delete a redirect that was in the htaccess… nevermind…

However. Now I tried the same settings on a different Installation, and I have the same result.

I added this to the HTACCESS file (after #13):

My jumplink:

source:index.php?id={id}
destination:{id|mymap}

Mapping with the name "mymap":

123=impressum
agb=agb

If I insert
www.domain.de/index.php?id=123
it redirects to
http://www.domain.de/index_php/123
and throws this error:

404 Page Not Found
Checked Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:03:04 +0200
Request: http://www.domain.de/index_php/123
ProcessWire Version: 3.0.148

Scanning for jumplinks...

[Checking jumplink #1]
- Original Source Path:       index.php?id={id}
- Escaped Source Path:        index.php\?id={id}
- After Smart Wildcards:      index.php\?id={id:num}
- Compiled Source Path:       index.php\?id=(\d+)

No match there...

No matches, sorry. We'll let your 404 error page take over when Debug Mode is turned off.

And this www.domain.de/index.php?id=agb goes to the homepage. No error…

On 5/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, Mike Rockett said:

@2hoch11 - Thanks. So the reason for the redirect is to take the page away from index.php so that it isn't seen as the home page. You simply need to change the source to index_php/{id}.

@Mike Rockett Great! Thank you! Of course, because there is the redirect in the HT Access file... and this happens BEFORE jumplinks is redirecting…

But! I still have no redirect when I input
www.domain.de/index.php?id=agb
I still get the homepage instead of /agb/

I tried to change the destination to {all|mymap} but still no result… as I can read in the documentation "id" has to be a number… but I have a string…

On 4/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, 2hoch11 said:

This matches numerical IDs only, right? Could that be the reason for not working with text like 'agb'?

2 hours ago, HerTha said:

This matches numerical IDs only, right? Could that be the reason for not working with text like 'agb'?

@HerTha Thanks … indeed. I did not notice that…

Now I have to sum this up (for idiots like me):

To redirect from index.php with an id attribute:

/index.php?id=123 -> /impressum/ 
/index.php?id=agb -> /agb/

Put this in your PW root .htaccess, before #14

# use this if you have digits and/or strings
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=(.+) [NC]

# use this i you have only digits [0-9]
# RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=(\d+) [NC]

As @Mike Rockett pointed out, the jumplink has to be:

source:index_php/{all}
destination:{all|mymap}

// or if you have only digits:
source:index_php/{id}
destination:{id|mymap}

… and the mapping with the name "mymap":

123=impressum
agb=agb

Thats all.

• Like 2

Great to hear it works! Thanks for providing a summary to help others!

This reminds me to #1 support rule:

Your problem can be fixed easily! We just need to find the cause, first...

Hey @Mike Rockett!

Just a heads-up that I sent you a little merge request: https://gitlab.com/rockettpw/seo/jumplinks-one/-/merge_requests/3. The gist is that currently the config link is displayed regardless of the user having module-admin permission, so I've added a check for that first. At least in our case typical Jumplinks users don't have access to modules section, which means that this link would only lead to an error message, which is obviously not very nice ?

• Like 1

@Mike Rockett

Sorry in advance if this is a bit of a stupid question but if I've set up a Jumplink with the source `chance-to-dance[/]` and on Facebook when the link is shared they prepend it with `.co.uk/chance-to-dance?fbclid=IwAR2b4gQ1Nixtk_w2qVyfxD7WYZIgp8kHtP46qgfTCDKiuozXw4TKxx4CLyw` and now it 404s – how do I set the source to include this sort of thing?

@a-ok Jumplinks 1 doesn't have built in support for automatically dealing with query strings. This is planned for Jumplinks 2, but I simply haven't had the time to complete it. For the time being, I'd be inclined to use the {all} wildcard on the end.

Source: chance-to-dance[/]{all}
Destination: somewhere/{all} or {!all} to skip wildcard cleaning

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have a problem that I could not solve. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or jumplinks is not working for me.

I need to create a 301 redirect for a page I'm deleting on my site and I want to redirect this page to the home page.

Original page:

https://mydomain.com/my-page/

My jumplink is:

Source:

my-page

Destination:

(using the pagetree to select my homepage)

Home

when I visit the url https://mydomain.com/my-page/ I still can access the page, is not redirecting to my home page.

If I unpub  https://mydomain.com/my-page/  I get a 404 error.

I have been using Jumplink to redirect old pages (pages that don't exist in my processwire website) from legacy cms and they are working fine.

I appreciate any advice

Thank you

On 5/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mike Rockett said:

@a-ok Jumplinks 1 doesn't have built in support for automatically dealing with query strings. This is planned for Jumplinks 2, but I simply haven't had the time to complete it. For the time being, I'd be inclined to use the {all} wildcard on the end.

Source: chance-to-dance[/]{all}
Destination: somewhere/{all} or {!all} to skip wildcard cleaning

Thanks for the help ?

Does anyone have a solution for using Jumplinks with urlSegments?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:45 PM, Krlos said:

Following my last post, in the end I had to use htaccess redirect because I could never solve the problem.

Super sorry for missing your post! If my-page exists, then Jumplinks will not take effect. It only responds to 404 events within ProcessWire.

Progress update:

Have managed to throw in a few hours on v2. The frontend is being rebuilt in Svelte, because I simply don't use jQuery/Datatables anymore. By not using any of these, I'm free to code this thing the way I want, without having to use a bunch of dependencies that are simply frustrating to build things with. Datatables in particular is hell to work with.

(As an aside, I primarily work with Vue, but Svelte is a little more suited here. No runtime, much smaller bundle.)

Anyways, here's a preview of the redesigned jumplinks list.

• Newly built styles, consistent in both the default and UIKit themes (should be fine in custom themes too) and scoped to the Svelte container.
  • Have carried over the behaviours, however instead of fetching all jumplinks, they're now fetched as a paginated collection. I'm sure there are a few sites out there with many jumplinks, and fetching them all is just too much.

image.thumb.png.972ff33f1b6d9e26b594b0666ab41120.png

As mentioned in a previous preview post (such a long time ago!), you'll be able to turn off the colour helpers if you don't like/need them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mike Rockett said:

(As an aside, I primarily work with Vue, but Svelte is a little more suited here. No runtime, much smaller bundle.)

Have you had a look at alpinejs - a good option if you are already familiar with Vue

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adrian said:

Have you had a look at alpinejs - a good option if you are already familiar with Vue

I have indeed – and I dig it from the perspective of rapid development. As I understand it though, it comes with a runtime that contains things that may or may not be used. Sure, the Alpine runtime is small, but the build file I have in Svelte is looking a bit smaller (so far). That aside, enjoying Svelte so far – this is the first time I'm exploring all of its features.

• Like 1