Jumplinks

Mike Rockett

2 hours ago, coxharrison said:

Since the launch I've been monitoring 404s in Google Analytics and we appear to getting quite a few (around 40 per week). What's odd is that the affected URLs all have jumplinks in places, and when I test them the redirects work perfectly fine. 

I can't see why Analytics would be picking these up but I'm quite concerned- if anyone as any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

This is very much a shot in the dark, but you don't happen to have anything in place that would skip PHP entirely? Jumplinks relies on a hook to the 404 request, so some sort of caching could be causing this.

Additionally I'd make sure that these requests actually land on the correct site. If you have the old site running somewhere, it could be a result of cached DNS entries or something along those lines.

Thanks for your reply Teppo. I passed this on to the project developer, and he has checked/ruled out what you suggested.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas?  We also enabled the Jumplinks 404 monitor and found that it isn't picking up the 404s that Analytics is recording... I can't think why there would be an inconsistency here.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside: Is it me, or is this text editor broken? I've been battling to navigate using the arrow keys, it's double posting as adding replies on a the second last page doesn't take me to the last page, and deleting mentions and emojis is not working properly. Tested on FF and Chrome on Mac... Weird.

@coxharrison - Not entirely sure what's going on here. Would have thought it to be a caching issue as well… Second guess is a header problem (incorrect status code for some reason), but that doesn't make sense as the module hooks into the 404 event and throws a 301/302 if a jump is needed. Given that it's been half a month since your last post, is this still happening?

Thanks @Mike Rockett, looks great so far – will test properly later ?

The editor has indeed been having some issues lately. Pete has been digging into this, and we're keeping an eye out in case an update is released that would take care of this.

Thank you so much for the module. 

i'm just trying to get it to work and wonder if i missed something. i want to redirect pages from an existing installation (windows server, jumplinks 1.5.53) that have been moved in the tree.

example:

old url:
/en/product/teabag/

new url:
/en/brand/teabag/

(for the new url I chose the page id)

if i now create these jumplinks, i always end up on the home page. isn't that possible?
sorry, if the question has already been answered, i didn't find anything on the fast one.

thx

On 8/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, Mike Rockett said:

To make sure that jumplinks is working, go into the module settings and turn on debug mode. When you hit the old URL, you should see a log from the module, showing what it's doing. Feel free to post that log here so we can take a look ?

thank you very much for your reply. 
I don't think it was apparent from my previous post. in the meantime i read that this version does not supports a multilanguage setup. is that still correct?

thx 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Mike Rockett

We are using this module on few client sites and it works great. There is one issue though: varchar 255 is too small for referrer field, we do get occasional: 

SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 1406 Data too long for column 'referrer' at row 1 (in /site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/ProcessJumplinks/ProcessJumplinks.module.php line 532

Any hope to get this fixed? (we will most probably update local databases to text).

Thanks Mike!

unfortunately we jut found another issue like this:

Data too long for column 'request_uri' at row 1

So there is similar issue at least with request_uri also (not sure about other fields). Any possibility to get this fixed as well?

15 hours ago, apeisa said:

Thanks Mike!

unfortunately we jut found another issue like this:

Data too long for column 'request_uri' at row 1

So there is similar issue at least with request_uri also (not sure about other fields). Any possibility to get this fixed as well?

One more: I'm also seeing this error for the 'user_agent' column.

@teppo - in regards to Jumplinks 2 and composer support: the module utilises several composer packages, which at present are kept in the vendor directory of the module, part of source control. Just to be 100% sure, if I were to drop this from source control, this would force users to install via composer? If so, I'd need to leave it in there, unless you know of another way ?

@all - I'm putting some time aside today to continue working on Jumplinks 2 – specifically frontend stuff. I'm cool with sticking to the usage of jQuery for the time being, though I imagine at some point I would move over to something like Svelte. No point in doing it now though, as pretty much all of the functionality I need (excluding bulk actions) has already been implemented.

On the topic of dependencies, I'm feeling inclined to push the minimum PHP version to the one that still has active security support, which at this point is PHP 7.1. In my experience, it's always been best to only support maintained versions of PHP. This also allows me to bump illuminate/database from 5.4 to 5.8 (I imagine there are a bunch of fixes). I don't know what the implications of this are in terms of the various hosting providers people use, but I'd be quite shocked if providers were only supporting unmaintained versions of PHP.