Jumplinks

Mike Rockett

I am trying to implement Jumplinks on a new site but not sure what is happening, the 404 template is not even being fired. I dont think this is a bug with Jumplinks or ProcessWire to be honest, but wondering if any light could be shed on this.

If I go to /example.php, I get a page which just says 'File not found.' and nothing else. If I go to /example then the 404 template is fired. I have setup Jumplinks to try and change /example.php to go to /new-example but it is not kicking in.

Server configuration do you think?

A request to example.php should be caught by Jumplinks if the file or page doesn't exist. My dev installation is doing that. As such, there must be something wrong with your configuration.

How did you add the rule for redirecting example.php, with the leading slash?

From the description:

@Mike Rockett

Just used this module for the first time, it's great!! Thanks for your work :)

Cheers

Jumplinks automatically removes the leading slash. :)

And very glad you like it. Will be updating to 1.5 with a few new features soon.

Hey, Mike!

I am not sure if this is related to some other things we talked about before, but anyway... With jumplinks site.com/index.php gerts redirected to site.com. But site.com/index.php/something gets redirected to site.com/index.php.pwpj/something with 301 answer code.

Is there a way to make it throw 404 instead?

Jumplinks is designed to remove the index.php from URLs. As such, when you request /index.php, you'll be redirected to the root of the site. Additionally, it's designed to work with redirects like /index.php/MyOldPage.html by swapping out index.php for index.php.pwpj so it can check. If it doesn't do this, then developers wanting to strip index.php out of their old URLs would not be possible.

That said, this does appear to be a bug (well, more of an oversight on my part), which I will look into as soon as I get the chance. Requests like the one you've made should remain as-is, so that PW may throw a 404.

Thanks for picking that up! :)

• Like 1

Heads up: Per this post, I'm going to be moving the Jumplinks and SimpleForms repos over to their new home on Github. You'll notice there's also a new repo for Jumplinks' documentation - that's because I'm moving it out of the current wiki and into the new site, which will automatically sync with the repo to ensure all is up to date.

This will all happen within the next few hours, once I've figured out all the nitty-gritty's.

:)

Hey, Mike!

I am not sure if this is related to some other things we talked about before, but anyway... With jumplinks site.com/index.php gerts redirected to site.com. But site.com/index.php/something gets redirected to site.com/index.php.pwpj/something with 301 answer code.

Is there a way to make it throw 404 instead?

Hey Ivan,

You are quite right about the previous discussion. Requests to /index.php/something will be seen as requests to the home page by processWire, unfortunately.

As such, the only solution I have for this is to create a new setting in the module's configuration that tells Jumplinks to not redirect /index.php requests to the root and not redirect /index.php/* requests to /index.php.pwpj/*.

Sound good to you?

• Like 1

Actually giving this index.php thing a bit of extra thought. Sites that used such routing were simply not configured to use htaccess, which is default in PW anyway. Surely all index.php/* requests should be stripped of index.php? Right now, the module only redirects index.php with or without the trailing slash. Whereas, if I tell it to strip the index.php out of all requests, such as /index.php/hello -> /hello, then a 404 would be thrown if the resulting destination isn't found.

To me, this makes more sense...

Feedback?

Edit: Also consider the fact that when you request index.php/hello, PW shows the home page... So no automatic 404 there anyway.

As I understood you are proposing:

1. First redirect urls like /index.php/hello to /hello,
  2. Then either let PW manage the routing (if /hallo exists, then just show it)...
  3. ...or rewdirect it with Jumplinks.

So in the module we will have to check option to strip out index.php and then create redirects like /hello -> /new-hallo. Am I getting you right?

As I understood you are proposing:

1. First redirect urls like /index.php/hello to /hello,
  2. Then either let PW manage the routing (if /hallo exists, then just show it)...
  3. ...or rewdirect it with Jumplinks.

So in the module we will have to check option to strip out index.php and then create redirects like /hello -> /new-hallo. Am I getting you right?

Well, I don't actually think there should be an option for it - should just happen automatically, because requesting index.php/hello does not throw a 404 by default. So yes, if you were to request index.php/hello, Jumplinks would redirect it to /hello, which would then be redirected to /new-hello if a jumplink was registered for it.

Has anyone using Jumplinks experienced any issues with timestamps when using MySQL 5.7? I use MariaDB, and presently don't have access to MySQL 5.7, and so cannot test. As I understand it, strict mode is enabled by default in 5.7, and strict mode does not allow for zero-based timestamps.

This issue came up in Laravel recently, and the solution was to use the previously disallowed NULL timestamps.

On my end, with MariaDB 10.1.9, all appears to be working quite fine. For those running MySQL 5.7, please do let me know if you encounter any issues. If you do, we'll have to work on a schema update to figure out the best way to target all platforms.

Edit: I see that 5.7.8 reverts changes to be compatible with 5.6 (strict mode on). As 5.7.9 is a general availability release, I don't really see this being a problem. For those that do experience issues, the best bet is to allow zero dates or turn strict mode off (whichever comes first - not entirely sure on how the config there would work).

Well, I don't actually think there should be an option for it - should just happen automatically, because requesting index.php/hello does not throw a 404 by default. So yes, if you were to request index.php/hello, Jumplinks would redirect it to /hello, which would then be redirected to /new-hello if a jumplink was registered for it.

Going to go ahead and implement this - I don't see any problems with it. If any come up, we can look at those when they do.

Git is starting to irritate me. Something changed when they release Github Desktop, which replaced the old Github for Windows. Before, I could simply merge the dev branch with master, and everything would sync up perfectly. Now, when I do it with Desktop, it creates a new commit called "Merge remote-tracking branch 'refs/remotes/origin/dev'", which means that the dev branch will always be one commit behind master. I made the mistake of merging master back to dev, and it's gone and added another commit, leaving master one commit behind dev.

What on earth? Any way I can undo this mess? Delete dev and re-branch?

Merges do (or at least should) always create an commit, but if there's nothing to merge (just new additions) the master branch can be fast-forwarded to the dev branch state without an commit. But most git apps I've used by now do fast-forward automatically if possible.

Merges do (or at least should) always create an commit, but if there's nothing to merge (just new additions) the master branch can be fast-forwarded to the dev branch state without an commit. But most git apps I've used by now do fast-forward automatically if possible.

Thought I'd seen that term somewhere. Thing is, Github Desktop no longer fast-forwards, it creates a new commit. I do prefer the fast-forward method, and believe was actually doing it with Git GUI.

I take it there's no way I can revert this?

(Btw: I see that a fast-forward cannot be achieved if master has diverged from dev in a separate commit. However, that doesn't seem to be the case for me. It was an issue at one point, but then I had everything synced up so there was no divergence.)

(And forgive me; I'm not a git guru, so some things obviously baffle me... Getting to the point, however, where I just want to delete the repo and push a fresh one without history.)

Hi, I just installed the latest version 1.5.1 on PW devns 3.0.3 (fresh install) and I got this warning

Failed to init module: ProcessJumplinks - SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name 'last_hit'

Strange... I've just tried the same, and got no errors or warnings. Let me check the schema quickly.

Update: Schema appears to be correct. It first installs the tables, and then performs schema updates to those tables. last_hit is only added once. So, unable to reproduce here.

Just a note to everyone, Jumplinks doesn't appear to be compatible with 3.0.3. I had it working on 3.0.1 and 3.0.2, but did not test with 3.0.3.

In the meantime, I'm dropping the PW3 compatibility tag until I am 100% certain everything works.

Scratch that. It is actually working. It was an error that appeared only once, and then disappeared. I believe it has something to do with namespacing or file compilation. Can't be sure as yet.

So support for current devns is there, just prepare yourself for the odd warning or error here and there (though, I don't think there will be many).

Edited by Mike Rockett
  • Like 1