Peter Verkooijen

How to manage many child pages in admin?

What happens when you have many - dozens, hundreds, ... - child pages in the tree, like typically 'posts' for a page 'blog'?

Can you put them under their own management section on the top admin bar/masthead? How?

Or will that happen automatically?

This question has probably been answered many times in many different ways, but I am probably using the wrong search terms. Or it is something painfully obvious that I am overlooking. Don't know where to start with this.

ProcessWire is great btw! Seems to get everything right that Wordpress got wrong.

Edited by Peter Verkooijen

Welcome to the forums!

The child pages becomes paginated. Default is 50 pages before pagination. You can change it under Modules Page List.

• Like 1

Peter - this was one of my questions too before I started using PW. Luckily PW handles this natively in a very cool way via pagination as @Mats mentioned.

There's a few other nice touches which PW features:

The search in PW is lightning fast and allows you to jump to any page within seconds. Even if that page is buried within container pages etc, it's a quick operation.

PW has a Recent (Pages) shortcut under the Pages tab which is another great way to access recent pages within a few clicks.

Finally, there's a paid Extra called ListerPro which allows you to save views of certain pages. 

It's a good question but not anything you need to be worried about. I think the PW demo of the fictional SkyScrapers site (see link on PW site) holds some bunches of pages within the paginated format. Worth a quick look.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses!

I now see the admin demo for the Skyscrapers site. It is a decent solution. 

But I think the PW profile module (?) for a blog had an admin bar tab for posts. Is there a way to do that; move a group of child pages to their own admin section?

Hi Peter!

The pages tree in the admin becomes paginated after 50 pages or more unless you change the default setting. You can also use the lister to search/filter pages on template/parent/what ever.

On the front end it's entirely up to you how you would like to display the pages/list of pages.

EDIT: I see you changed your question, so this answer might seem a bit off topic. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pixrael
      Hi guys!
      What do you think about something like this? Because I use this option regularly in the Windows File Explorer breadcrumb and it's very useful. The drop-down menu can display only published/visible child pages. I've tried to find how to do it as a module, but I'm not a coder with enough skills for that ... or I don't know if I can use hooks to do that ...

• By AAD Web Team
      Hi,
      I've put in a support request (as a followup on an existing one) for this but it's nearly 10pm Ryan's time, so I thought I'd ask on here just in case someone can help...
      Yesterday we purchased ProDrafts, but I couldn't get the key to validate. Every time I hit submit on the module settings screen the key would be removed from the field I entered it in, and then it would complain about the missing value. I put in a support request and Ryan responded last night. It turned out it was because we're behind a proxy/firewall. He gave me a fix to get around that issue - some code to go into admin.php. I put that code in and saved admin.php, but now I can't even get into our admin anymore!
      (Just to clarify, I took the code back out and saved admin.php but that made no difference. It's definitely not the new code causing the error.)
      The errors relate to a lack of permission on the ProDrafts module (see attached screenshot). We do have a key, but evidently the code Ryan gave me to add the key in via admin.php isn't taking effect before the error is thrown...?
      I tried removing the ProDrafts directory from the modules directory, but that hasn't helped.
      Is there a hook I can put in somewhere to tell it not to load ProDrafts at all, or not check the permissions? Or is there some way to manually uninstall it from the file system?
      Thanks!
      Margaret

• By SwimToWin
      In my world, Super Users / Editors should only be able to work with Pages and administer users.
      Everything else is the domain of the web master. The purpose is to prevent technically inexperienced editors from destroying core elements of a site, such as fields and templates.
      That leaves me with the question, how to deny Super Users access to Setup, Modules and Roles / Permissions?
      PS: May I also suggest that it shall be possible to set Permission for each of the main menu items - including their sub-menu items.

• By SwimToWin
      How can I translate the admin buttons that are shown when mousing over a page in the admin interface ("Edit", "View", "New", "Move", "Unpub", "Hide", "Lock", "Trash")?

The site uses the built-in Language Support module. I am here: /processwire/page/.
      I looked for files to translate in the Languages setup section (/processwire/setup/languages/edit/?id=1234), so far unsuccessfully because I was not able to identify a file to translate.
    • By awesomolocity
      Alright. So I'm converting a site I already have to Processwire (really enjoying it so far!). I wanted to convert the previous tables that I had data in to Processwire pages. But I'm wondering what the optimal way to structure pages would be.

So basically, I have three main tables.
      Users (and all accompanying information)
      Items (and all accompanying information)
      Aquariums (each user only has 1 aquarium. Currently, user_id is a FK)
      Fish (type of item. Aquariums may have multiple fish)
      Aqua_settings (Things like lightness, temperature, etc)

So in my current setup, there are a lot of Foreign Keys. I could accomplish essentially the same thing by using the Page Reference field.
      Alternatively, I could make fish and aqua_settings both be children of Aquarium. I could differentiate by doing $aquarium->children('template=aqua_settings'); or something.

So my question is...should I be using the Page Reference field or structuring the pages as children? (Or are both equally fine depending on how I want to go about doing things)