adrian

Module
Migrator

289 posts in this topic

@MilenKo

Ok, just committed new versions of Migrator and also MigratorWordpress so be sure to update both. Comment dates now working and also fixed an issue with comment status from last commit.

I'll look into the comments/tags and homepage issue tomorrow - gotta run :)

2 people like this

No worries @adrian Anything I can help - shoot straight. Helping one is helping the rest so I am sure the gratefulness is to follow. Especially when it is supported with the latest versions etc.

2 people like this

@adrian it might worth to mention here, that my exported fiile could be messed up due to the several themes installed during the last 5-6 years of the site existence so if something does not work at 100% I would try to use another XML export to make sure it is working fine. Once you are ready with the latest version, I will proceed to test it with my export and another from demo WP.

@adrian not to be rushing you but do you have any updates on the Migrator to test?

Nevermind, I should have checked the GitHub before asking. I will test it and get back to you with the results. Thanks for the update.

Ok. I installed the migrator and tested the latest version of MigratorWordpress. Pushed the XML file that I sent you earlier and with 2 timeouts everything got imported. Here are the results:

1. Home page title has been changed to one of the imported (just the name changes, but the properties are OK so it is easy to fix by renaming the page back to Home).

2. Comments date is still imported improperly (PENDING: Comment #22 Posted 10 minutes ago by Maria appears in the comment edit field).

3. Tags page is created in the import parent page as a separate child, however there are no Tags child pages imported from the wordpress tags.

I will try later to import the pages with comments and approve them by applying the proper templates etc. so that I can check if on the frontend the date would change or would be the one shown  in the admin (10 minutes ago). Once I am done with the test, will report back.

Hi @MilenKo - sorry for the silence of late - too much going on here. I just pushed some changes I made earlier in the week that should fix the comment datetime issues.

When I get some more this week I'll take another look at the tags issue.

Thanks for your patience!

Heh, no worries at all @adrian It is perfectly clear that your efforts are put of a good will and you have definitely helped a lot already so no need to apologize for anything. I just saw that MigratorWordpress has been updated 7 days ago and thought I missed your update. Will test the import once I get back toy place tonight and let you know how it works. So far, the only "issue" I had with the importer are the comment dates as I am certain I did not tag the recipes properly and want to edit each one to achieve my new strategy. But hey, no rush at all, OK?

@adrian I have just ran the test again this morning using your latest update from GitHub and was super happy to find out that the posts import went OK and the comments time stamp is perfectly matching the original.

The rest (tags, fields etc.) are not imported, but as I mentioned earlier I do not mind fixing them myself as I need to do a lot of crap cleanup beyond the scope of this topic and not related to the module import.

So for now I am totally good to start my work and move the posts to their new home so THANK YOU! 

If you ever need me to test an import or else, I have my local copy set so I can always run it again and again.

For anyone dealing with a migration like mine, feel free to work on your PW Profile (appearance, functionality) then import the WP content to a newly created page of your choice. Once this is done all you have to do is to make sure that the fields in the imported pages are matching the ones in the template you are going to assign the posts to. In my case initially I have imported 600 cooking recipes but the original profile did not contain the comments module yet. So after the import and assigning the imported posts to the recipe template, I lost my comments. To make it work, all I had to do was to assign the comments field to my recipes template and only after that to start changing the imported pages one. Voila, I am now off the WP for good and the work continues.

@adrianI am coming back with a little issue/question for the importer. After finishing the process I noticed that there is a field called date where the importer adds the post publishing date. So do you know if I delete the field the proper timestamp of the post will be kept?

On 3/26/2017 at 2:11 PM, MilenKo said:

@adrianI am coming back with a little issue/question for the importer. After finishing the process I noticed that there is a field called date where the importer adds the post publishing date. So do you know if I delete the field the proper timestamp of the post will be kept?

When Migrator and MigratorWordpress were written, there was no system "published" field in Processwire. There is now, so I just pushed updates to both modules to support writing to that system field. Unfortunately untested at the moment (no time today), but hopefully will work as expected.

With that in place, you should be able to delete that "date" field if you wish and use the "published" field to get the same information.

Cheers,
Adrian

2 people like this

@adrian I am almost done with the website main html so will start this week/weekend to turn it into the theme I need. Once I star, I will delete from one post the Posted field and see if the date is preserved and what is more important - if it is the correct one. So we will know soon how would that work ;)

I'm just trying the module. Thanks for the awesome tool. I tried to import the files.zip with edit imported content option after, but after some time I get a error "Missing required ZIP or JSON Source" and nothing has changed.

After trying again without the option to edit, the pages are all flat imported under home instead of creating the structure. 

Edit: Every page in the json has: parent_name: "/"

Ah yes. No problem, I found the issue. My older Multisite module, which was hooking and altering page paths is the problem. Thats why I removed it from Multisite.