adrian

Migrator

@manlio - sorry for the rough first experience with Migrator - any chance you could PM me the zip package you are trying to import?

@Septhiroth - good catch, and yes, PR's are always very welcome - thanks :)

• Like 1

Adrian you don't have to be sorry! Instead thanks for you effort that I know is great and thanks for support. I send you a message with the zip file.

Ciao

Just wanted to post a little warning here.

@SteveB PM'd me with an issue he was have with a relatively complex migration. I initially tested on PW 2.5.3 and everything worked flawlessly in several tests, which is great!

But then testing on the latest PW dev there were some significant issues with certain pages not ending up where they were supposed to be, so I need to look into this in more detail, but just wanted to remind you guys on dev to be careful until I figure this out. Not sure what version of PW this started happening with.

• Like 1

An update on the status of Migrator with respect to current dev version of PW (soon to be stable 2.7) would be much appreciated!

Reading this thread I get the sense that, understandably, there are plenty of edge case problems but do we know what's working reliably on recent PW installations? I'm piecing together a staging-to-live strategy for a site where most of the content will be imported from non-PW data sources (including images).

One way is to first delete those pages which get imported from the external data, then use the reliable method of copying over the whole database, the site folders (templates and modules) and any necessary config, .htaccess, index.php tweaks. This keeps users, roles, user/role mapping and template access settings intact.

I feel as though a "cleaner" way would be to explicitly export/import users, roles, user/role mapping and all template settings. Then I could start with a clean PW install. How much of that might Migrate be able to do these days?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am sorry, I haven't had time to work on Migrator for a while now. It is definitely not abandoned - I just need to find a good chunk of time to revisit a few things regarding Page fields and sort out remaining bugs. I will try to take a look at this sometime soonish.

Regarding the last part of your question - Migrator currently creates new users/roles if the creator/modifier of the imported content was created by a user that doesn't exist on the new site. The problem of course is migrating the user's password - is this a requirement in your scenario? All the template settings etc are all handled completely by Migrator.

I also have some aspirations to take Migrator a step further and allow it to connect directly to another site and sync changes, but if this happens it will be some time away and will likely be a commercial version of Migrator.

I am not sure if that really helps you at the moment. I am away for the next few days and busy for the week or so after that, but might see if I can get a new version out before the end of the month - but no promises :)

• Like 4

Thanks Adrian. I'm just trying to figure out what it might be relied upon to do in it's current, work-in-progress, state. For this project I can probably just build users from scratch each time. The password issue can be dealt with.

Hi Adrian

this module looking very good! But i have some strange problems. So export on page tree from one site (whole tree; pw 3.0.15) wich works very well. And I want to import it on PW 3.0.18 System. wich seems to work also well. Templates and fields are created. I also get the info "Created all required templates and fields and imported/edited 140 pages" but if I view on the page tree nothing is there. I dont see any errors. So maybe its because of the 3.0.x version. Do you have tested it with the 3.0.x version?

What else could I try?

@jensweigel - please try this commit: https://github.com/adrianbj/ProcessMigrator/tree/3e2121b8fdb68e9d9dc0c6aca8aae75e923a2669

I also have a PR from @jlahijani (https://github.com/adrianbj/ProcessMigrator/pull/5) which may also take care of the problem. I will try to make some time today to review his changes and the last working commit noted above and get a new version out.

Seems like Migrator has problems with templates that include InputfieldPageTable fields. When importing pages that include this fieldtype, Migrator also creates the pages that are stored inside this fieldtype.

4 hours ago, charger said:

Seems like Migrator has problems with templates that include InputfieldPageTable fields. When importing pages that include this fieldtype, Migrator also creates the pages that are stored inside this fieldtype.

HI @charger - isn't that the desired behavior? If it didn't create the pages that belong to the Page Table then you wouldn't be migrating all the content. Maybe I am misunderstanding though?

You’re of course right. The problem is that the pages that reside in these InputfieldPageTable fields will be moved out of their previous (nested) structure and are applied (flat) to the parent one selects during import.

I'm trying to use this module to get pages to an external translation agency, that uses a translation memory. The multilanguage modules are in use and working fine. [Added English manually to the Dutch (default) site, trying to add French and German automatically.]

What worked fine:

• Export of all pages as a json file
  • Import of that json file in their translation software
  • Inspection of their translated json file in Atom - looks fine

Then I tried to import their file, and that failed.

• Append: nothing changed — expected behaviour
  • Overwrite/Replace: shows me this error
Error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function setLanguageValue() on null in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/site/modules/ProcessMigrator/ProcessMigrator.module:1441
Stack trace:
#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/site/modules/ProcessMigrator/ProcessMigrator.module(161): ProcessMigrator->processImportForm2(Object(ProcessWire\InputfieldForm))
#1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(374): ProcessMigrator->___executeImport()
#2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___executeImpor...', Array)
#3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(402): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessMigrator), 'executeImport', Array)
#4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/ProcessController.php(244): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('executeImport', Array)
#5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(374): ProcessWire\ProcessController->___execute()
#6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_ (line 1441 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/site/modules/ProcessMigrator/ProcessMigrator.module) 

I did some further testing.

When I choose Replace instead of Overwrite, all texts with multi-language input are deleted, including default language.

I even tested with exporting to a zip, and then importing that same zip. Same errors. So, it's not related to what the translator could have done with the files.

3 hours ago, mds said:

Inspection of their translated json file in Atom - looks fine

Just because it looks like valid json doesn't mean it's in the correct format for Migrator.

But could you please make sure you are using this version of Migrator: https://github.com/adrianbj/ProcessMigrator/tree/3e2121b8fdb68e9d9dc0c6aca8aae75e923a2669

It is two commits behind, but it looks like some bugs were introduced since that commit.

As an update on this project. I still do want to get back to it, but I am now going to wait until Ryan completes all the new core page migration tools so I can use those new core methods. Will wait and see exactly what functionality he builds and extend from there if needed.

• Like 2

Thanks, Adrian. Very grateful. 
That version doesn't spit out the error I mentioned.

I get another error now: the Home-page gets added as a new page on import, but that's something I can manually adjust.

Looking forward to updates on exporting/importing/migrating.
Loving Processwire so far, and it's only early days!

Will this module be updated for PW 3.x?

I have problems like: "Call to a member function setLanguageValue() on a non-object"

Line 1441 of ProcessMigrator.module.

Is there a similar working tool for copying local pages (trees) to remote?

Thank you.

Hi @theo - this looks related to (https://github.com/adrianbj/ProcessMigrator/issues/4).

What commit are you using? Please try this one (two back from current) - https://github.com/adrianbj/ProcessMigrator/tree/3e2121b8fdb68e9d9dc0c6aca8aae75e923a2669

I will likely recreate this module in the future after Ryan fully implements the new core methods for exporting/importing pages

http://processwire.com/blog/posts/roadmap-2017/

Tools for exporting and importing of pages. We've got some nice built-in tools for importing and exporting of templates and fields, but not yet for pages. Over the coming year, I'm hoping to add page import/export as well. I'd like to be able to copy/paste a page or group of pages from one server to another.

I just don't have the time to put more effort into the current iteration of this, especially given that future versions should make use of the new core features.

• Like 2

Hello all. 

After playing with PW for some time now and having a heavy WP website, I decided to look this morning about a way to migrate WP to PW (how ironically it sounds ;) ). And here I am - trying out the MigratorWordpress.

Downloaded the XML file (18Mb containing around 700 posts and over 5000 comments). Uploaded the file and started the import. At the end, everything went smooth and I was suggested to check the imported pages. I was not surprised to find out that the import only did find some pages but not the posts itself (no offense to the authors for sure). This issue was not new to me as I was trying to import WP to ModX long time ago and ran into it as well. So what helped me at that time was a simple WP plugin caled Post Type Switcher that allowed me to move all the WP posts from custom post type to the default WP posts. After that I was able to import posts and comments almost flawlessly (I say almost, as I still had to go around the posts and clear the short-tag leftovers etc. - which is not an issue). 

As of now, I am testing the same approach to see if that would work again and will report back. My biggest concern is to have the posts properly imported and attached to their comments. I do not mind loosing keywords etc. as I am planning on redoing every post manually but moving comments that way would be an overkill ;)

Ok. All custo post types were converted back to standard wordpress posts and then the XML was exported using the Tools->Export feature. Then installed the both required modules - ProcessMigrator and MigratorWordpress and tried to import the posts into a newly created page called Import. Unfortunately it did not work with PW 2.8.5 and blows an error:

Error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object (line 1450 of C:\OpenServer\domains\recipemagician.pw\site\modules\ProcessMigrator\ProcessMigrator.module) 

This error message was shown because: you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

I tried with the latest 3.0.55 and it did not work either. Is there any specific version to try with that would seemed to work?

2 minutes ago, MilenKo said:

Thanks Adrian. Testing it now. Would you recommend using 3.X or 2.X?

Migrator and MigratorWordpress were written for 2.x so that might be safer, but I have used Migrator itself with 3.x without any issues, but I haven't used MigratorWordpress with 3.x yet.

FYI - as I mention above:

On 1/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, adrian said:

As an update on this project. I still do want to get back to it, but I am now going to wait until Ryan completes all the new core page migration tools so I can use those new core methods. Will wait and see exactly what functionality he builds and extend from there if needed.

Adrian, that is understandable considering the amount of work and changes that needs to be applied. Will try now with 2x version and see how it goes. In regards to the shorcodes, this was one of the things that initially pushed me to search for another CMS. I used a few themes before starting to deal with the next one on my own and with every theme change there were more and more shortcodes used. After the latest theme some were dropped out so it got ugly. That is why all I care is to have the comments and posts imported properly. The rest I will setup up/change/clean myself as a part of the process and learning curve ;)