kongondo

Module: Matrix Fieldtype & Inputfield

Some more thoughts on this - I wonder if maybe it's just best to turn on output formatting - that should handle getting the language for the current user.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that each entry in the matrix is a full PageArray - is this necessary? I haven't looked into/thought through this, but it seems like a lot of info to have in memory when all we need is a single value with its relevant row and column page ids. Maybe the full PageArray is needed, or maybe it doesn't matter - just thought I'd ask :)

Hi Adrian. Glad you found a solution.

10 hours ago, adrian said:

Not sure if you want to implement just like this, or whether you think it's worth adding a more complete ML solution.

I haven't looked at this module in a while. I will have a think.

10 hours ago, adrian said:

PS - what about changing "Row Label" to the title of the parent page of the first column. In my case I have a page branch of Years to control this column. It would be much nicer if this read "Years" or "Year". Would that work, or are there more things to consider?

Ditto :).

7 hours ago, adrian said:

On an unrelated note, I noticed that each entry in the matrix is a full PageArray - is this necessary?

That's strange. Where did you see that? The module does not return Page or PageArrays anywhere . A single entry is a Matrix object (a WireData) and groups of entries are MatrixArray objects (WireArray). Maybe I haven't looked at this in a while but I am pretty sure about this :).

Hey @kongondo - note the Page within each Matrix item. Each one of these contains a full reference to the current page. This comes from dumping $page->matrix_field

58de67f336206_ScreenShot2017-03-31at7_29_43AM.png.3bebfb53ba4d61ab004d09a691779876.png

Here is the dump of $rows and $columns from the export function. You can see that each row is a full PW page object.

58de6dbbe8f1d_ScreenShot2017-03-31at7_53_28AM.png.463af2d8871a92b23da4f19b82c30be3.png

Is this expected?

@adrian,

Aah, my bad. The culprit is where I grab the respective row and column pages in order to get the friendly rowLabel and columnLabel respectively. Would uncacheAll do the trick (to clear memory)? If not I could get titles using raw SQL...

Thanks for catching this.

Hey @kongondo - me again :)

I have another issue for you - I recently deleted a page that was driving the matrix rows (ie in the "data" field in the DB), but it didn't remove that row from the matrix table. Maybe this in intentional to prevent potential data loss, but it seems like there is no way of removing these without a manual SQL query to delete the appropriate entries from the DB. I am away from my computer the next couple of days and don't have time to test further right now, but please let me know if you have any trouble reproducing and I'll run some more tests.

I'm trying to keep 'scores' for users on certain pages.  So far Matrix seems to do the job, as I can type a score for every user and for different assignments. 

What I'm trying to do now is to enter scores using the API, so *not* using the admin pages. 

If I understand things right, Matrix is simular to (or an instance of?) WireArray, so I should use $matrix->add(sth)?  I just can't find my way through. 

Does anyone have an example code snippet for entering values to a Matrix using the API?  It would help me a lot. 

edit: Of course I can always enter the data directly into the database, but I'd rather use the power of PW if possible. 

On 2017-4-9 at 10:41 PM, adrian said:

I have another issue for you - I recently deleted a page that was driving the matrix rows (ie in the "data" field in the DB), but it didn't remove that row from the matrix table.

Thanks Adrian, I'll have a look.

On 2017-5-16 at 9:35 AM, longtom said:

Does anyone have an example code snippet for entering values to a Matrix using the API? 

Sorry for the late reply Longtom.  Here's a code snippet:

Hi all. 

I am intending to ONLY support ProcessWire 3.x starting from the next version of this module. Please have a read here and let me know what you think. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hello @Kongodo and thanks for this module,

I am always in a hurry, and probably that is the reason why I still can't find right solution how to use this field.
Please can somebody write short instruction how to get this on attached image using this field?

Thanks.

opening-time.png

12 hours ago, OLSA said:

Please can somebody write short instruction how to get this on attached image using this field?

The very, admittedly limited, docs are here.

Your days of the week are Matrix Rows. Your Open and Close are Matrix Columns. I suggest you create a parent page for both. So A Days of the Week page whose children are the Days themselves and something similar for Open and Close. Then use method 1 or 2 as described in the docs to populate your rows and columns. Alternatively, see method 3 which allows you to use multi pagefields.

• Like 1

All,

I intend to give this module some love soon. As part of this, I'm considering how to allow custom names for Columns and Rows (i.e. other than pages). 

• Like 2

Hello @kongondo

only a question: is it possible to use a special field of a page for the field of the matrix (fe a date field, an integer field,..)?

2 hours ago, Juergen said:

Hello @kongondo

only a question: is it possible to use a special field of a page for the field of the matrix (fe a date field, an integer field,..)?

For storage, no, for reference, yes. Matrix stores a page ID for Row, a page ID for Column and a varchar for the value of the matrix (i.e. row-column = value). Using the page IDs of Row and Column, you can use PW API to get the page and hence, any field on that page.

Maybe not what you are after but thought to clarify anyway.

• Thanks 1

Hello @kongondo,

I have discovered a strange behavior:

I use a pagetable field inside a parent page. If click on the link inside the pagetable to open a child page inside a modal, I will be logged out from the system if the child page has a matrix field inside.

I have traced down the problem and it has to do with a hook that I run on the pagetable field of the parent page (inside my ready.php):

$wire->addHookBefore('InputfieldPageTable::render', function($event) {
   if($this->process != 'ProcessPageEdit') return;
   $table = $event->object;
   $page = $this->process->getPage();
   // event table   
   if(in_array($table->name, ['datespagetable', 'specialbusinesshourstable', 'eventspagetable', 'businessvacationpagetable'])) {
       if(count($page->children) == 0){          
           $table->notes = "";
            $this->buttonHook = $this->addHookAfter("InputfieldButton::render", null, function(HookEvent $event){
                $event->return = __("Here all dates will be shown afterwards if some were created.");
            });
      } 
      //this part of the button hook is responsible for loggin me out if I click on the link to the page inside the pagetable 
      else {
      $this->addHookBefore("InputfieldButton::render", null, function(HookEvent $event){      
         $button = $event->object;
         if($button->name == 'button'){
          $button->attr('value', __('Add event'));
         }
      });
} 
}
}); 

Inside this hook there is another hook for rendering the "Add new" button. So this "InputfieldButton::render" hook is responsible for loggin me out (if I remove this part everthing is fine).

So its not a big problem for me (I have comment it out), but maybe you have an idea, why these lines of code could lead to this behavior in combination with the matrix field.

Best regards

19 hours ago, Juergen said:

but maybe you have an idea, why these lines of code could lead to this behavior in combination with the matrix field.

I'm totally clueless about this :lol:. I'll have to investigate, but it might not be soon, I'm afraid. I need to finish  work on some other module first, before I can turn my attention to Matrix.

Thanks for reporting.