SQLite has FTT. Could it be a viable alternative database backend for PW?

futuresplash

SQLite would be nice, but not really needed. If possible and changes to database abstraction is needed a move to PDO would make it possible.

At the moment it would be interesting because of a small private php project which should run on cheap webhostings without extra features. So sqlite would reduce the requirements *g*
With a small private projects I would try to keep hosting cost low...

But web hostings with mysql isn't expensive today...

@WillyC Haven't checked it... Assumed it because of much work to implement sqlite. So it sounds like compatibility and testing part because pdo sqlite would be possible?

PW db / selectors are awesome and complex. So I' think it isn't an easy part with very low priority...

There are two parts to this. Connection to a database and SQL features/parity in results. Connection to the db is abstracted through PDO and most things in processwire use the PDO powered database connection. In old code you might still find things calling to the old mysqli powered processwire class. 

The part about sql features and their parity in implementation/results is another topic, which requires a good amount of knowledge of both databases. Actually PWs query engine isn't really using many fancy sql features, most stuff is just many joins + conditions, but I don't know sqlite well enough to evaluate if everything will be working there as well.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would love to see SQLite support in PW. It would allow me to make my PW dev environment portable. I use my perosnal laptop and work PC for development and carry projects in USB Disk. All of my Nodejs and python projects are portable because they all use portable database files (not the database server instance, the actual data files). I know MySQL allows to specify a --datadir when starting, but this is not very portable (at least not for me). I've tried containerizing php and mysql for PW developement, but didn't work out the way I wanted. It just  doesn't allow me to get started immediately.

If sqlite support is implemented we can use a lightweight portable db in development and migrate to MySQL in production.

• Like 2