Best Practice on frontend member's site

changwuf31

Ok, second topic in a day.

Is there any tips on best practices to handle a site that has registered members.

There will be about 500 - 1000 members.

When each member login, they will be able to see their own profile.

Should each member be a page with a member template, so it will be 500 - 1000 pages.

Or is it better to create a custom module for this ? If so any pointer on where to start ? Or maybe an example ?

1. an easy start for login/profile/reset-pass

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1716-integrating-a-member-visitor-login-form/?p=15919

2. Users == Pages so you can add fields to every user (for using this field in a frontend profile...)

3. there is a module but i didn't test this one

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8001-frontenduserlogin/

best regards mr-fan

small addition for point 2.

to get the user template to edit you've to edit setting under templates to show "system templates"...

-> 500-1000 should be no real problem - have a good reading about the settings for userroles/roles for a proper setup.....and ask further if you run into problems...

I have a social network made in PW with +40k users registered, my solution was to create a template for the profile, having some important fields directly to the user template like gender, city (fields I can use for a search so it's good they stay inside user template) and additional info into the profile, linked to the user with a page field. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Why not just put all profile fields in the user page?

I have a social network made in PW with +40k users registered, my solution was to create a template for the profile, having some important fields directly to the user template like gender, city (fields I can use for a search so it's good they stay inside user template) and additional info into the profile, linked to the user with a page field.