ProcessWire 2.2 [soft launch]

ryan

• 2 weeks later...

The update process is really easy :-) Just the need for changing the .htaccess is a bit annoying as I make individual changes there.

Is there a better way then just comparing the files everytime?

You can use file compare in various IDE's. Also I think there's no easier way than do it manually, but I think the .htaccess doesn't change in every update. Most convenient way would be to look at the commit log on github if there really were any changes on the htaccess and which.

Yup - I think we were advised to update the .htaccess in one release (can't honestly remember) but it's certainly not the norm and I'm sure Ryan would mention it if it were required.

It's true that the htaccess doesn't change very often, but when it changes, you want to be sure to get it. So I think it's best for people to include that (and /index.php) in addition to replacement of the /wire/ directory, when doing an upgrade.

If you look in PW's htaccess file, you'll see it's very clear about where the ProcessWire directives start and end:

#####################################################
# START PROCESSWIRE HTACCESS DIRECTIVES
# @version 2.2

...and all of PW's htaccess directives go here...

# END PROCESSWIRE HTACCESS DIRECTIVES

So when I'm customizing an htaccess, I either place my custom directives above ProcessWire's, or if they need to go somewhere in the middle, I add a comment to make it clear that it's specific to the site I'm working on, and I indent it more than the others so that it stands out even more:

# THIS DIRECTIVE IS FOR DI.NET ONLY: 
             RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. [NC]
             RewriteRule ^ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

This makes it really easy to manage a customized .htaccess file through upgrades.