Modules crashing ProcessWire sites and having other problems

lisandi

Hi

as we just prepare for the translation of all processwire modules we installed all Modules and realized that some ar simply crashing the complete sites when getting installed. I will list them here and perhaps the deveolpers or somebody else who would like to maintain them can try to fix them - otherwise IMHO they should simply be removed from the ProcessWire Repository if they are already in there. If they are not in than we won't load them to be translated until it is fixed anyway. All those Modules got freshly loaded with the very useful ModulesManager!

We are using Processwire 2.5.10

If you are having Problems with your ProcessWire site simply check if you have perhaps installed one of those modules! Simply deinstall them or/and move them to another location if they are crashing the site i.e.

This post will be edited when we discover more problems:

MODULES CRASHING SITES

MobileDetect

Compile Error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'lib/Mobile_Detect.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') (line 57 of /.../public_html/site/modules/MobileDetect/MobileDetect.module)
This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

ProcessAbbreviate

Compile Error: require_once(): Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') (line 1091 of /.../public_html/wire/core/Modules.php)
This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

ProcessLanguageTranslatorTwigSupport

Recoverable Fatal Error: Argument 1 passed to InputfieldSelect::addOptions() must be of the type array, null given, called in /.../public_html/site/modules/ProcessLanguageTranslatorTwigSupport/ProcessLanguageTranslatorTwigSupport.module on line 180 and defined (line 72 of /.../public_html/wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldSelect.module)

TemplateEngineTwig

Error: Cannot redeclare class Twig_Autoloader (line 17 of /.../public_html/site/modules/TemplateEngineTwig/twig/lib/Twig/Autoloader.php)

Spex

Compile Error: require(): Failed opening required '/.../public_html/site/templates/layouts/default.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') (line 186 of /.../public_html/site/modules/Spex/Spex.module)

TemplateTwig

Error: Cannot redeclare class Twig_Autoloader (line 18 of /.../public_html/site/modules/TemplateTwig/TemplateTwig/Twig/Autoloader.php)

ProcessLatestComments

Error: Class 'Comment' not found (line 59 of /.../public_html/site/modules/ProcessLatestComments/ProcessLatestComments.module)

MODULES NOT SHOWING AS INSTALLED even they have been installed!

FrontendUserRegistration
LdapSignIn
TextboxList
MetroWire
EleganceAdminTheme
Compliance
FrontendUserProfile
SmartyTemplating
TextformatterAutoParagraph
Unify
Teflon

WireTasks

BootstrapAdminTheme

AppyAdminTheme
FuturaAdminTheme
ErgoAdminTemplate

MODULES NOT SHOWING AS UPDATED AFTER AN UPDATE

FlagPages

ProcessJSONInstaller

LanguageLocalizedURL

MODULES CRASHING THE TRANSLATION TOOL INSIDE PROCESSWIRE

UserGroupsHooks

NOT USEFUL MODULES FOR TRANSLATIONS

ProcessLanguageTranslatorTwigSupport
--> It is radically deletes the ProcessLanguageTranslator Page when you dseinstall it and it does not offer multiple file select to be translated. If you have more than 10 files to be translated this means 10 times the same clicky click procedure every time until all 10 files are able to be translated - it wastes a lot of time!

OTHER PROBLEMS WHEN INSTALLING MODULES

VersionControlForTextFields
--> snapshot module seems to be doubled - why not simply checking and deinstalling the one which is to much instead of bringing up that error.
Warning: there appear to be two copies of module "PageSnapshot" on the file system. Please remove the one in /site/modules/ unless you need them both present for some reason.

1. /site/modules/VersionControl/PageSnapshot.module2. /site/modules/VersionControlForTextFields/PageSnapshot.moduleMarkupLoremIpsum--> Why does it want to deinstall when we want to install?Could not remove directory /.../public_html/site/assets/MarkupLoremIpsum.module

TextformatterSoundcloudEmbed

--> Path wrong

FuturaRemixed

CustomPageRoles
-->Could not open zip file

ServicePages
--> Displaying the code of the site in the frontend!

CryptoPPP
--> not able to be installed and therefore many other modules which depend on that cryptoPPP are simply not installable and not working

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the ones I've got access to, probably later today.

It should be noted that you've also been installing some modules that have not been declared as compatible with 2.5, which is why your comment about "removing from the directory" seems a bit off. Either way it's a good thing if we can catch (and preferably update) such modules.

Another note would be that while ModulesManager is a great module in itself, it would be nice to rule it out as a cause to the issues, i.e. installing problematic modules with native tools and seeing if that causes the same issue  :)

VersionControlForTextFields 

--> snapshot module seems to be doubled - why not simply checking and deinstalling the one which is to much instead of bringing up that error.
Warning: there appear to be two copies of module "PageSnapshot" on the file system. Please remove the one in /site/modules/ unless you need them both present for some reason.

1. /site/modules/VersionControl/PageSnapshot.module2. /site/modules/VersionControlForTextFields/PageSnapshot.module

These are never intended to be installed simultaneously; VersionControlForTextFields is for PW 2.4.0 or earlier, there's no reason to use it for anything later than that. Also, PageSnapshots.module is not identical between these modules, so removing one of them would only render one of the modules unusable -- not a valid solution.

Admittedly that's a bit of a weird situation you've got there, but also one that mostly happens if you start blindly installing everything you can get your hands on, and is easily fixed by removing one of the modules. I'll see if I can easily add some way of preventing that without unnecessarily complicating the modules themselves.

It might make sense to add a new "incompatible" list to module config; this way module authors could specify modules known to be incompatible with theirs. Not sure if this really is common enough to justify such a thing though  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up regarding module versioning. I learned that the modules not showing up as being updated have one thing in common: Version numbers below 1.0.0 (like for example, my FlagPages module). I just installed FlagPages on a PW 2.5.10 system, and though its version is set as 022 (0.2.2) ProcessWire somehow understands it as 0.1.8 and offers an update to 0.2.2. I'll test FP's ability to run under 2.5+ (it totally should), and will then bump both version number and compatible PW version.

• Like 1

Hi Teppo and Marcus thanks for having a look at it!

Yes some are not compatible but often they are simply not updated ;-) to the current working version.

As time goes by you will realize that also in Processwire the amount of modules and dead no more maintained modules will rapidly increase. To avoid a chaos like on other CMS I really recommend to make a rule that those not showing at least the latest stable level which woudl be 2.5 get removed to an archive. At TYPO3 that system worked pretty good after it was introduced as many Module Developers use their modules also as portfolio for their abilities etc. And immediately even Developers who did not maintain their extensions over years updated very fast to 6.2 to be again present and presented to the public.

The Modules manager usually directs you to the native tools if he can't install stuff. As we tru to get the translation stuff up and running we like to have all modules and even those old ones in unless someone really don't use them anymore. But actually we will se what will get used as that will be translated the rest probably not. There are lots of admin themes which are I guess complete obsolete and if than should be removed.

Keeping a repository updated working and clean with only maintained modules also helps to speed up developing and is god for the image of a CMS too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up regarding module versioning. I learned that the modules not showing up as being updated have one thing in common: Version numbers below 1.0.0 (like for example, my FlagPages module). I just installed FlagPages on a PW 2.5.10 system, and though its version is set as 022 (0.2.2) ProcessWire somehow understands it as 0.1.8 and offers an update to 0.2.2. I'll test FP's ability to run under 2.5+ (it totally should), and will then bump both version number and compatible PW version.

hint

or in short: 22 or "0.2.2"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi lisandi.

I am the module manager of ProcessAbbreviate.

Can you tell me your system setup?

I run a vagrant vm with ubutnu 14.04 on nginx or apache with current PHP version and do not notice any requiring errors like you do. :-/

I need a little starting point to look for your occurred error.

EDIT:

Maybe it could be an error due to the PHP version.

I am using the JsonSerializable interface which is only available for PHP version >= 5.4.0

jmartsch noticed this behavior by running PHP without PEAR?!

Thank you.

regards,

Sven