Server monitoring

alan

Anyone used logstash.net/?

I am finally trying to get proactive at server log monitoring and so far the above and logentries.com are the two I am looking at.

This is a bit complex for me but I think with the logstash.net/ route it's a case of installing it locally, with elasticsearch and on the webserver installing a remote agent that sends logs securely over. All documented on the logstash site along with a good video explaining it.

Jury is out at the moment

• logentries.com is working but I'm not sure it's what I want
  • my local tests of the logstash from this 10min guide work to a point then the final test fails :/

Gonna spend a bit more time trying to solve.

Anyway, thought I'd post this since it must be something others do or may want to in which case I hope these links are of some value at least to someone (and hopefully I'll solve the above and be able to post a fully working method here).

PS: the above is me with a local Mac and remote Apache on Centos so apologies if this is irrelevant to you due to other environments.

• 2 years later...

Hey @alan,

Right now I'm looking into storing logs with a tool. Since we have multiple installations running around I was also wondering if you were going to log the ProcessWire logs as well with logstash? Or just the server logs?

Would you be so kind to share your experiences?

Thanks!

Hey @arjen, sorry for the slow response.

At the time I was only thinking of the server logs, but it makes total sense (thanks for the suggestion) to log/parse PW logs also, for things I want to know about.

Sadly I have not moved forward with this at all :/

This seems an area (logs reporting themselves to you when a condition/keyword occurs) ripe for automation and likely to be highly beneficial, I am surprised I've not yet bumped into a great pan-log solution. Something I'd like to return to researching :) when time allows :(

Ah, the todo list...

I can see a Module now..,

Tailer—it tails your log files. You tailor the rules and leave it to Tailer to alert you tor any phrase or limit that interests you ^_^

• Like 1