Page Protector

adrian

Hi @tpr - I'll have to have a think about the password only option at the month when I will have a little time. There are some other options I would also like to add, so might be time for a bit of a revamp.

Yes, SLT will always get involved because this module uses the regular PW login process. Not sure a way around that (or whether you should really want a way around it) without changing how access is granted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robin S said:

@adrian, maybe the module needs a try/catch to show the login throttle message rather than the 500 error?

Oh right - sorry I missed your note about the 500 error - too busy to really read properly :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tpr said:

A feature request for the future: allow login only with a password.

+1 :) For example it is good for pages containing not too sensitive data, such as work in progress – soon to be made public – pages some people need access to, etc...

• 4 months later...

Feature request

Can there be an option to redirect the user to another page if they land on a protected page (rather than showing them the login form)?  Additionally, if there could be a field by which an admin can enter a custom message (or error) to $session->message("the message"); or $session->error("the message"); that would be really great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Feature request

Can there be an option to redirect the user to another page if they land on a protected page (rather than showing them the login form)?  

Hi Jonathan,

Would this just be for users that are already logged in, but are prohibited by the Allowed Roles setting, or do you actually want guest users to be redirected when they visit a protected page? Of course this would mean that an authorized user would need to make their own way to a login page. Or are you planning on redirecting them to a custom login page? Then of course you'd want to redirect them back to the page they first visited.

Does the Login Template option work for your needs by chance?

5 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Additionally, if there could be a field by which an admin can enter a custom message (or error) to $session->message("the message"); or $session->error("the message"); that would be really great.

It would be helpful to understand your use case a little better and why the existing Message or Prohibited Message fields don't suit your needs.

I am happy to help accommodate what you want, but a little context would help please ?

• 4 months later...

I was having some issues logging into a site with PageProtector turned on using Chrome on Android. My users would hit login and either nothing would happen. occasionally, a 500 error would be displayed.

In the end, I transpired that a setting called 'Data Saver' was enabled. Once you disable this, my logins worked.

Alternatively, you can run your site over HTTPS to bypass this. I've yet to try it but if you're logging into sites etc then HTTPs should be the default anyway ?

Hey Peter,

I think this isn't specifically an issue with this module but rather PW core login security settings. I just some googling on the Data Saver setting - I think the problem is that it affects the IP address of the user. I  think perhaps if you disable PW's session fingerprinting the problem will also be solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the next weeks I have to build a website with some protected pages, accessible with a password in the frontend.
Now I discovered this module and I'm going to use it, thanks for this ?

I couldn't find informations about a logout button. Is there also a logout function, for visitors who are logged in? Or must I build my own one?

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

Sorry you must build your own.

Ok, thanx.

Do you think, that this »tutorial« would work with your module? https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1716-integrating-a-member-visitor-login-form/?tab=comments#comment-15919

At 5. are the interesting informations:

5. Just to be complete, make a logout.php template and create a page called /logout/ that uses it.

/site/templates/logout.php

This get lost from Ryans the quote: 

if($user->isLoggedin()) $session->logout();
$session->redirect('/'); 

@neophron - that tutorial is more than you need if you use this module, but it will give you ultimate flexibility - it really depends on your needs.

If you use this module and just want a logout button you do have to have that button link to a url that performs a $session->logout() and redirect to where you want them to end up. It think in that example there is a logout page added to the admin and the template for that page does the logout and redirect. That should be all you need.

• 2 months later...
Just now, neonwired said:

Is there a way to protect new pages by default?

New child pages of a protected parent will be protected by default if you have the protect child pages option checked.

5 minutes ago, adrian said:

New child pages of a protected parent will be protected by default if you have the protect child pages option checked.

hmm, don't think that would work as the parent isn't protected. I have all the children protected using their template but want to make one of two viewable/unprotected.

4 minutes ago, neonwired said:

hmm, don't think that would work as the parent isn't protected. I have all the children protected using their template but want to make one of two viewable/unprotected.

Sounds like what you are looking for doesn't really fit with this way this module is designed to work. You might be better off with https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/DynamicRoles although I do find the approach used in that module a bit weird and maybe not very efficient with a lot of pages.

3 hours ago, adrian said:

Sounds like what you are looking for doesn't really fit with this way this module is designed to work. You might be better off with https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/DynamicRoles although I do find the approach used in that module a bit weird and maybe not very efficient with a lot of pages.

Thanks a lot. I'll probably look at that plugin and page protector and see if i can figure out how they work.

• 10 months later...

I just did an update from 2.05 to 2.06. When finished, I checked module config, which told me I currently have no protected pages at all. Truth is, however, there is actually 1 protected page. Also, this page (protection) still worked after the update.

I checked on another site where I have multiple protected resources. On this site - after updating - module config showed me all protected pages, however the numeric count in the headline was given wrongly.

Could there be a regression in determining the count of protected pages?

I use PW >/= 3.0.123 on both sites.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @maddmac - no, there isn't a lost password option. I'm not sure what it would take to implement the PW core version into this. I am super busy with client work for the next month so can't really tackle this at the moment I'm afraid. If you feel like having a go, I am happy for PRs ?

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if it's possible to have a 'protected' and a 'non protected' version of a page. Now I'm using this code:

if($user->isLoggedin()) {	
// SHOP FOR ADMIN	
  echo "{$materialsimage} &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href='{$p->url}'><span class='verdana_14'><b>{$p->title}</b></a>  -  <span class='verdana_14'>{$p->pad_price} &euro;</span>.</span><br>";
  echo $modules->get("PadRender")->addToCart($p, $askQty = true, $page); 
// $p is the product, we do ask quantity, we redirect back to current page
  echo "<hr>";  
}
else {
// SHOP FOR STUDENTS
  echo "{$materialsimage} &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href='{$p->url}'><span class='verdana_14'><b>{$p->title}</b></a>  -  <span class='verdana_14'>{$p->pad_price} &euro;</span>.</span><br>";
  echo "<hr>";
}

I want to change that into sections SHOP FOR STUDENTS and SHOP FOR VISITORS, where visitors can view what we sell but only students (logged in with PageProtector) can actually buy things. Is it possible in the Page Protector $options? Or what should go into the if() else() part to make in work?