Page Protector

adrian

• 2 weeks later...

The module (somehow) stopped working.

I installed it and (like always) it worked like a charm. I used the somewhat older version but after restarting my localhost it stopped working. 

I deleted it, installed the newer version, and even tried to use a different login template. Nothing seems to work. Is this a frequent error that's easy to solve? And might it be in conflict with the MVC-ish Approach I am using? (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/4892-an-almost-mvc-approach-to-using-templates/).

I deleted the cache, the sessions and I even set the specific role "superuser" to the page. Yet I can just visit the Home page without having to login.

It might be a real rookie/newbie mistake I'm dealing with, would be sweet if anyone knows how to solve it.

@jrtderonde - I have never had a problem with it not working, so you'll need to help debug this. I find it weird that it worked until you restarted. 

Can you post a screenshot of the module config settings page and if you are using the login template approach, could you please post the code from that template. 

Thanks for your reply. My settings are here: http://imgur.com/xjfRhvM.

The code I am using for the login template are below:

<?php

// Variables
    $css = Wire("config")->urls->templates .  "assets/css/styles.css";
    $favicon = Wire("config")->urls->templates . "assets/img/favicons/favicon.ico";

?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
    <head>
        <title>Login</title>
        <meta charset='utf-8' />
        <link rel='stylesheet' href='$css' type='text/css' />
        <link rel='shortcut icon' href='$favicon'>
    </head>
    <body class='login'>
        <div class='full-size'>
            <div class='container'>
                <div class='protected-mode-container'>
                    <div class='top'>
                        <h1>Inloggen</h1>
                    </div>
                    <form class='protectedModeForm' action='./' method='post'>
                            <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, con sectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo eupio ligula eget dolor.</p>
                            <input type='text' class='input' name='username' placeholder='Naam' value='' />
                            <input type='password' class='input' name='pass' placeholder='Wachtwoord' value='' />
                            <button type='submit' class='button' name='login'>Login</button>
                    </form>
                </div>
            </div>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>

It's just really weird that even if I destroy all sessions, it won't let me visit this login page.

Hope we can work this out, thanks for your time  O0

Don't mind the non-echoed variables (stylesheets).

I can't see if you have anything selected for the login template in your settings - your screenshot is cut off. Is it definitely pointing to the login template php file? If it is, then we need to make sure the module is being loaded - can you add some debug statements to the module - I would start by making sure the "ProtectedCheck" method is being called: https://github.com/adrianbj/PageProtector/blob/master/PageProtector.module#L212

It would be great if you could get to see if it is called and then work your way through to make sure that this line: https://github.com/adrianbj/PageProtector/blob/master/PageProtector.module#L280 is being triggered. 

I would go with:

wire('log')->save('debug', 'test');

or something similar to make sure each point in the code is being called. 

BTW - there is no need to manually create the login form on the login template page - just echo $loginForm and the module will take of that for you (but that shouldn't stop it from working). 

On another note - I see that you have the homepage protected - there is no need to protect any child pages separately unless you have specific roles assigned, but that doesn't seem to be the case - but again that shouldn't stop this from working.

• Like 1

@adrian, thanks for your input! I managed to debug and I got the module to work except for one little thingy.

I checked "protect entire site" - yet when I destroy the user's session and direct them to the homepage. I found that when I redirect the user, the login template isn't popping up. Obviously this could be because the script redirects to the homepage. Is there a way to redirect the user to the login template?

Thanks for your time, it helped me an awefull lot!

@adrian, thanks for your input! I managed to debug and I got the module to work except for one little thingy.

Glad to hear - if you have a minute, it would be great if you could explain what was wrong so others might learn. 

I checked "protect entire site" - yet when I destroy the user's session and direct them to the homepage. I found that when I redirect the user, the login template isn't popping up. 

Are you saying that despite the homepage being protected, guest visitors are having full access to the homepage?

Obviously this could be because the script redirects to the homepage. Is there a way to redirect the user to the login template?

Is this your script that is redirecting to the homepage, or the PP module? Remember that the login form is injected into the currently viewed page - it is not a separate page. 

Glad to hear - if you have a minute, it would be great if you could explain what was wrong so others might learn. 

Are you saying that despite the homepage being protected, guest visitors are having full access to the homepage?

Is this your script that is redirecting to the homepage, or the PP module? Remember that the login form is injected into the currently viewed page - it is not a separate page. 

I fixed it by creating an actual login page (including template) to redirect to.

There were two problems in my case. First problem was a conflict between a module I use called AIOM (All-In-One Minifier). The AIOM module caused an error just before the Page Protector module was triggered. When I enabled the debug logging I found out about this bug as there was no exception thrown. 

The second error was the way I structured the templates; I used one template file called main.php which automatically includes a controller and a view based on the template name. As there was no real template loaded, it created a blank error page.

Although the chance is rare that someone will ever stumble upon the same errors as I did, I hope this might help someone out - someday.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, FrancisChung said:

In case any new users end up here, just make sure you've logged out all users of the admin area before you're convinced the module doesn't work. 

Had my 15 minutes of *FacePalm* today.

Or use the User Switcher in Tracy so you can test easily :)

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/introducing-tracy-debugger/#user-switcher

• Like 1

I was installing Page Protector on 1 of my websites, and I selected the options Protect Hidden / Unpublished Pages and also their children options and I got the following error.

I had to rollback the Database and just leave all the options as default and it seems to work then.

I'm using PW 2.7.x on that site.

I think on my other site, I was just using the default options so I didn't have this problem previously.

Error: Exception: Method Page::hasStatus does not exist or is not callable in this context (in /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php line 350)

#0 [internal function]: Wire->___callUnknown('hasStatus', Array)
#1 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('callUnknown', Array)
#3 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php(329): Wire->__call('callUnknown', Array)
#4 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php(329): Page->callUnknown('hasStatus', Array)
#5 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/site/modules/PageProtector/PageProtector.module(179): Wire->__call('hasStatus', Array)
#6 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/site/modules/PageProtector/PageProtector.module(179): Page->hasStatus(2048)
#7 /is/htdocs/wp12420480_J71V5E124H/www/sprach-dev/wire/core/Wire.php(409): Pag
This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

Hi @FrancisChung - I can't seem to reproduce this and I have been using those settings for over a year on one site.

Is there a certain action that triggers the error or is it simply trying to view the page on the frontend? 

Could you possibly try on a fresh/different PW install?

If you have Tracy installed, could you try:

bd($p->id.':'.$p->status);

on line 165 - after $p is defined on 164.

It seems like $event->object is not returning a page object for some reason in your scenario, but I don't know why.

On 9/15/2016 at 10:45 PM, adrian said:

Hi @FrancisChung - I can't seem to reproduce this and I have been using those settings for over a year on one site.

Is there a certain action that triggers the error or is it simply trying to view the page on the frontend? 

Could you possibly try on a fresh/different PW install?

If you have Tracy installed, could you try:

bd($p->id.':'.$p->status);

on line 165 - after $p is defined on 164.

It seems like $event->object is not returning a page object for some reason in your scenario, but I don't know why.

Hi @Adrian,  I'm planning to upgrade our base PW when I get a chance so I will try out again then.
The  "Protect Hidden / Unpublished Pages and also their children options" are redundant options for the site, come to think of it.

I'll also try using Tracy as it's something on the planner to have a detailed look at it.

• 4 weeks later...

I use this on a site. It used to work fine. Now when I login on the frontend, I get this error with debug on:

Fatal error: Exception: Please wait at least 35 seconds before attempting another login. (in /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/modules/Session/SessionLoginThrottle/SessionLoginThrottle.module line 97) #0 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/modules/Session/SessionLoginThrottle/SessionLoginThrottle.module(65): ProcessWire\SessionLoginThrottle->allowLogin('kunde') #1 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/WireHooks.php(619): ProcessWire\SessionLoginThrottle->sessionAllowLogin(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent)) #2 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Wire.php(373): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Session), 'allowLogin', Array) #3 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Session.php(712): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('allowLogin', Array) #4 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Session.php(712): ProcessWire\Session->allowLogin( in /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/index.php on line 64

Error: Exception: Please wait at least 35 seconds before attempting another login. (in /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/modules/Session/SessionLoginThrottle/SessionLoginThrottle.module line 97)

#0 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/modules/Session/SessionLoginThrottle/SessionLoginThrottle.module(65): ProcessWire\SessionLoginThrottle->allowLogin('kunde')
#1 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/WireHooks.php(619): ProcessWire\SessionLoginThrottle->sessionAllowLogin(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#2 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Wire.php(373): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Session), 'allowLogin', Array)
#3 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Session.php(712): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('allowLogin', Array)
#4 /kunden/348019_70794/rp-hosting/14027/64026/fabriciusstrasse/wire/core/Session.php(712): ProcessWire\Session->allowLogin(

This error message was shown because: site is in debug mode. ($config->debug = true; => /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

Silly question, but are you using the same username on frontend and admin logins?

What happens if you wait 35 seconds - can you then login successfully?

Any sign of weirdness in your session_login_throttle database table? Perhaps you could empty that table?

7 minutes ago, adrian said:

Silly question, but are you using the same username on frontend and admin logins?

What happens if you wait 35 seconds - can you then login successfully?

Any sign of weirdness in your session_login_throttle database table? Perhaps you could empty that table?

Thx for your quick reply!
For the frontend I created a new user with just the guest role assigned.
I can't test the Login right now, I had to disable the page protection, because the website is live and the customer is a little nervous right now :)
I will test it later in the evening. 

Iam still a newbi. Where can I find the session_login_throttle database table and how can I empty it? 

Ok, well let me know when you can test again later. I am guessing the error was appropriate at the time, and not related to this module.

Don't worry about the session_login_throttle database table at this stage.

• Like 1

could this be a problem with to many people logging in at the same time?
The customer had send a newsletter with the frontend Login, so there could be multiple people accessing the login at the same time.
Also the error happened everytime the customer or I  tried to login.

If everyone has the same login username, then absolutely - that is what the session login throttle is designed to do. I think your quickest solution will be to disable the SessionLoginThrottle module.

Just wanted to get that option to you quickly - I'll post some better solutions in a minute.

• Like 1

Actually now that I think about it - I actually wonder if there is a bug in the throttle module because I thought it should only record failed login attempts, not successful ones - just investigating now.

I can trigger the ban by successfully logging in out quickly several times.