Page Protector

adrian

This module allows you and your site editors to protect a page (and optionally its children, grandchildren etc) from guest access directly from the page's Settings tab. You can also limit access to certain roles.

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-protector/

https://github.com/adrianbj/PageProtector

It makes it very easy for editors to set up various password protected areas on their site, or to simply protect a new page or section while they are still working on it.

• Ability for your site editors to control the user access to pages directly from Settings tab of each page
  • Include whether to protect all children of this page or not
  • Optionally allow access to only specified roles
  • Option to protect all hidden pages (and optionally their children)
  • Ability to change the message on the login page to make it specific to this page
  • Option to have login form and prohibited message injected into a custom template
  • Access to the "Protect this Page" settings panel is controlled by the "page-edit-protected" permission
  • Table in the module config settings that lists the details all of the protected pages
  • Shortcut to protect entire site with one click

In addition to the admin interface, you can also set protection settings via the API:

// all optional, except "page_protected", which must be set to true/false
// if setting it to false, the other options are not relevant

$options = array(
    "page_protected" => true,
    "children_protected" => true,
    "allowed_roles" => array("role1", "role2"),
    "message_override" => "My custom login message",
    "prohibited_message" => "My custom prohibited access message"
);

$page->protect($options);

As alway, I would love any feedback / suggestions for improvements. Hope you find it useful!

Page Protection Settings (settings tab for each page)

post-985-0-73987600-1416875487_thumb.png

Module Config Settings

post-985-0-27882500-1416875500_thumb.png

• Like 26

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. It's possible to set a protected page via API?

Glad you like it :)

Not currently possible - I didn't really think it would be that useful since this is primarily a tool for site editors. I am willing to add the option - perhaps a new protect method so you could do something like:

where $options would be for children, message, roles, prohibited message.

Would you mind giving me a use case scenario so I can get a better idea of how useful this feature would be ?

• Like 1

In my social network this could be useful for users want to make some pages protected and decide who can view the page based on roles, for groups, pictures, or events etc....right now i make this with bare code, so having a module is always nicer and of course users can't go in admin panel so i need some api implementation :)

Ok, I have committed a new version that supports protection via the API.

You can now do:

// all optional, except "page_protected", which must be set to true/false
// if setting it to false, the other options are not relevant

$options = array(
    "page_protected" => true,
    "children_protected" => true,
    "allowed_roles" => array("role1", "role2"),
    "message_override" => "My custom login message",
    "prohibited_message" => "My custom prohibited access message"
);

Let me know if you have any problems.

EDIT: I am wondering if in your case dedicated code might be a better solution. This module stores the protection info in the module's data DB field. While this works great because there is no need for special fields to be added to the templates of a pages to be protected, I am worried you might come across some scaling issues if you have thousands or potentially millions of users, all wanting to protect various pages. I have no idea on the scale of your social network, but this is definitely something to consider. 

• Like 4

I'm probably missing something really obvious with this (php isn't my first language), but when I try to inject the form into a template all I get is an unknown variable warning for  $loginForm.

Sorry you're having trouble.

All I can think is that you are trying to add it to a template that is not selected under the "Login Template" option in the config settings for this module. Are you trying to add it to an existing PW template file like home.php ?

The way this works is that the module uses the selected "Login Template" instead of the template that is normally used by a page.

Does that make sense / solve your problem?

Trying to add it to the basic-page.php template, also selected this template in the "login template" section. I've managed to make it output the login boxes, but only them, nothing else in the source, just the styles and the login form. Even after logging in it still shows a missing variable error.

Trying to add it to the basic-page.php template, also selected this template in the "login template" section. I've managed to make it output the login boxes, but only them, nothing else in the source, just the styles and the login form. Even after logging in it still shows a missing variable error.

Yeah, that's what I thought :)

That's not how this works. You need to create a dedicated template for the login form. Perhaps called: loginform.php

This template should only contain the framework of your site, eg the header and footer, like in the example, or however you like to structure things, along with $loginForm where you want it to appear.

This loginform.php template will be called instead of basic-page.php, home.php, etc if the page is protected and the person needs to login.

Does that make more sense now?

• 11 months later...

I just added a couple of new options to this module that allow for automatic protection of unpublished and hidden pages and their children. I am finding the unpublished protection very handy as I can set the parent of a branch to unpublished while it is being developed. With this option enabled, I can send the link to this page direct to clients and they will be presented with the custom login form so they login and then immediately view the page - no need to go via the backend admin panel (just like the normal way this module works), and they won't get the 404 page if they attempt to visit when logged out. Because children can also be protected there is no worry about someone guessing the URL to subpages, the entire branch is protected based on the publication status of the parent. Once the branch is ready to be published, simply publish and it will be live and the protection is removed - no need to give clients access to the control of this module on the settings tab and explain how they work.

Hope you all find it useful!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Adrian, the login template isn't working for me. I setup a custom template (login.php) and select it on the module settings, but the login form doesn't show. I'm using ProcessWire 3.0.3 devns.

login.php:

<?php include("./head.inc"); ?>

<div>
  <?php echo $loginForm; ?>
</div>

<?php include("./foot.inc"); ?>

Edit: When i disable the login template, the custom protected message isn't displaying either. The default "This page is protected. You must log in to view it." message is shown.

Hi @Sanyaissues - sorry you are having problems. I can replicate the problem with the custom template not working in PW 3.0, but aren't seeing the issue with the custom protected message not working - make sure you are editing the message on the Settings tab of the protected page.

Now back to the custom template problem - do you have debug mode turned on in your config.php file? Do you then see this error: 

Notice: Undefined variable: loginForm in /pathto/site/templates/login.php on line 4

The problem seems to be passing variables using wireRenderFile. It works fine in PW 2.x, but looks like there might be a problem in PW 3.x

Can you please confirm that this is the error you are getting.

I am not really at my computer again fully for another a couple of weeks, but I will try to help figure this out.

Anyone else out there reading this that has seen any problems with passing variables using wireRenderFile in PW 3.x?

Hi @adrian thanks for your response. As you say, i get the undefined variable error.

About the custom protected message isn't working. I save a new one but isn't rendering on the front-end. This is what i get:

<form class='PageProtectorForm' action='./' method='post'>
    <legend></legend>
    <input type='text' name='username' placeholder='Username'>
    <input type='password' name='pass' placeholder='Password'>
    <p><button type='submit' name='login'>Login</button></p>
  </form>

Hi @adrian thanks for your response. As you say, i get the undefined variable error.

It was a bug with the File Compiler in PW 3.x - it has been fixed in today's commits to the devns branch.

About the custom protected message isn't working. I save a new one but isn't rendering on the front-end. This is what i get:

That does seem weird - the custom message should be between the <legend> tags. Can you provide a screenshot of the settings tab for the page in question?

You need to change the custom message on the Settings tab of the Home page. 

The message on the module settings page should populate newly added protected pages, but once a page has been protected, it stores its custom message separately.

Let me know if you still have problems.

I assume that the login template option is now working for you with the latest PW 3.x build?

The login template option isn't working on 3.0.4

Have you cleared the compiled templates? 

Modules > Site > Clear Compiled Files

I think the error you are seeing is from a cached compiled template from before the problem was fixed in 3.0.4

• 2 months later...

I read all over the docs and the forum about protecting certain pages from access and wonder why my efforts are unsuccessful.

The situation (simplified):

Pages tree

Home
 -   Free Stuff
     - -   Free1
     - -   Free2
 -  Private Stuff
    - -  Private1
    - -  Private2

Free Stuff and its children have the template "standard"; Access managing is set to No.  
Private Stuff and its children have the template "private": in its Access settings the page view option is unticked for the guest role.

Apart from superuser and guest there are the following roles:
    editor

The editor role grants page edit permission for all the pages.
Users having the member role have to log in to get acces to the private pages.

Now my question:

What do I have to do to give the member users page view access exclusively for the private pages?
(That is, they should not see the pages of template standard.)

What I tried: In the Settings of the page Free Stuff I ticked Protect this page, then Protect children too.
As Allowed roles I selected all but the role member.

So I expected that a member user would no longer have access to the Full Stuff page nor its children. But that doesn't work.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Any help is hihgly appreciated!

What I tried: In the Settings of the page Free Stuff I ticked Protect this page, then Protect children too.

As Allowed roles I selected all but the role member.

So I expected that a member user would no longer have access to the Full Stuff page nor its children. But that doesn't work.

It sounds like you are using the PageProtector module. It only prevents users from viewing pages on the front-end. I can't tell if that's what you want or if you expect them to also not be able to view and edit them in the backend?

Also, you say that you selected all roles, except the member role. Do the members also have one of the other selected roles? Including "guest"?

• Like 1

Thank you, adrian.

Yes, I'm using the PageProtector module (forgot to mention it).

Members get only page view, not page edit permission. They should not have access to the backend.*

Members have the roles "members" and "guest" - you can't remove the guest role from a user. They don't have any of the roles with page edit permission.

*Edit: This doesn't work - they have access to the pages tree (not wanted), but see just the view buttons.