How to approach this feat in Processwire

qtguru

Seems good, so this newsletter module, if you can explain how it works and all, i can gain some perspective into it. Thanks that won't be bad though because i remember doing all newsletter by hand too 

Hello Sephiroth,

If you do not feel uncomfortable just by installing WordPress, I recommend cloning this one:

Alo EasyMail Newsletter:

http://www.eventualo.net/blog/wp-alo-easymail-newsletter-guide/

A few important points to consider:

- emails should be sent in "small" batches, to avoid being blacklisted quickly

- the possibility to test the newsletter with a small set of test email addresses is a must

Sure, tons of other features are needed, that is why I pointed to this WP plugin, which works well.

Seems good, so this newsletter module, if you can explain how it works and all, i can gain some perspective into it. Thanks that won't be bad though because i remember doing all newsletter by hand too 

Well that's the main thing, figuring out a system that integrates well into PW and is simple enough.

See the images below of my current newsletter page in the admin and the final outcome. There's a dedicated Newsletters page in the root page tree, newsletters are listed below them. This is useful because newsletters have their own URLs so "View in browser" is easy to implement.

The subscribers have another page in the root, each subscriber is a page. They can be active or inactive, based on the page status published or not. I use simpe subscription, no confirmation emails. I do not use subscriber lists, this should be also implemented somehow.

I use wireMail() for sending (with MailGun), but queing would be also nice.

It would be nicer to have a new nav item in the admin "Newsletter", and move the newsletters and subscribers there.

Anyway, this is what I've got, maybe these can generate some ideas.

post-3156-0-30446100-1463810781_thumb.pn

post-3156-0-23711800-1463810791_thumb.jp

• Like 6

So today I spent a lot of time looking at Queuing Systems in PHP and it's quite confusing, because I know PHP to be a blocking Language so this is executed as a cron job which sends mail in batches periodically till all mails are sent, Laravel has Queue system, but I don't know how the underlying system works, anyone familiar with this queuing system in PHP, won't mind articles explaining the concept thanks. 

Queues are quite simple. Store a message in some kind of database (at best one build for this usage) and some other process does later read the message and execute something based on those messages. Those reading processes are often called workers and either run continuously (deamon) or are started in intervals (cron) or manually, which is always an option :D

• Like 1

This post describes a bit where it comes from: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12151-wire-queue-basic-implementation-of-simple-queues/#entry112809

@Sephiroth: if you find it useful in general, I can assist in extending / building a sqlite version that suites your needs. (define more finegrained sqlite table fields and fetching batches of a given number recipients at once, for example 100)

• Like 2

Thanks already gotten the idea and will proceed during the weekend, 

@horst I will definitely use your module as it will speed things up thanks, will update this post when i start working on it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pwired said:

Isn't that going to be a truck load of work to make the site look the same in processwire ?

At the end of the day they decided to stick with WordPress already told them i won't manage the WP if that's their decision

• Like 2

Nice solution :)

I just finished to rebuild a WP site to PW. I'm happy with the result, it's fast and feels lightweight. And also has the benefit that the host provider doesn't threat the client to take off the site because it eats 16% of server resources :)

(WPML "side effect")

(WPML "side effect")

I can confirm that. I just finished a wordpress website for a real estate company. I had to do it in wordpress because they already bought the "real homes" template for wordpress and wanted me to use that. During my configuration of the WPML string translation to set their website up in 3 languages I encountered many forums reporting the amount of many database calls WPML is making. Although WPML is doing it's job to translate a wordpress website I find it more like a database hacking solution instead of really translating the website from the cms-database setup. WPML is just another wordpress plugin that you have to install extra next to the other plugins to make things work in wordpress. Processwire has already multi-language in it's cms core and is low on resources :)  The only advantage I see with wordpress is the availability of a lot of nice templates that saves you a lot of design time. I know others have a different opinion about this but hey lets face it: it is not easy to be both a coder and a designer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since i have update this spot, so you know the usual story, Client builds app in WordPress, work is contracted to me, I feel angry and convert to Processwire and Client is pleased, but now I realized StreetView is a necessary requirement for the project which means, I need to create a StreetView Field for Processwire, if this is already in works please let me know if not, this means I might be creating one and writing an article around it, I won't mind articles to detailed information about creating Fields. 

Have a nice day 

• 4 months later...

Glad to hear JeevanisM, even recently I was thinking of a Github open book about Processwire, but I am somehow a bit of a procrastinator sometimes, I guess I will map out something for that. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I didn't want to create a topic for this, so I decided to use my existing thread , as mentioned, I am creating some Youtube tutorials around Processwire, I feel a video is much more easier to help people getting started with Processwire. So I did a first video introduction, However I quickly realized my dilemma with self expression skills when talking, so I am working on that but here is the first video and I hope to drop a Video per week or more depending on how fast I can get things out but I am also open to covering other complex topics too around Processwire. Thanks and I hope this helps out a lot of people.

NOTE: LOL Working on how I sound too ?, bear with me

Love from Nigeria

• Like 8

Thanks Mustapha, I really appreciate the support, I am working on more content and also working on making the transitions and effect more jazzing. I'll update this thread as I push more contents 

• Like 2

NOTE: LOL Working on how I sound too ?, bear with me

Sound quality is strange ?

But your English and articulation is very good, clear and easy to understand! Keep up with the videos!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, apeisa said:

Sound quality is strange ?

But your English and articulation is very good, clear and easy to understand! Keep up with the videos!

Yes, I am using a CandySkull Headset as mic, but I have a Lapel mic, I am looking to get those professional mics and also understand Adobe Premiere audio better, the next video will have a much better sound quality. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...