503 Error on Page Save - memory usage overloading server

Anton Martin

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out. I've built a few processwire sites now and love the system but I have an established site that's having some issues. I'm by no means a real programmer but know my way around PHP enough to get by.

This issue occurs in the admin section when attempting to save a page I get a "503 Service Unavailable, The server is temporarily busy, try again later!" error.

After reading this post we tried disabling mod_security but the issue persisted.

When then escalated the issue to our hosting company who logged into the admin area and traced the error as it happened. Below is the result: "The issue here seems to be that once save is clicked, the page immediately tries to use more than a gigabyte of memory.

The server immediately kills the process to protect itself.

I am certain of this because I disabled the protection temporarily and immediately watched the memory usage climb to critical levels once I clicked save. The CPU usage also climbed quite high."

This issue only happens when saving certain pages which appear to be isolated to pages which use repeater fields. The repeaters aren't excessive with the home page utilising a repeater field that uses a text input (not text area), single image field, url field and another text input. There are 3 records in the repeater.

There's no issues on the front end of the site and as stated above pages without repeater fields save without issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

Which version of ProcessWire are you running, and have you installed any modules? Which ones? What about your server, anything special there? What PHP version are you running?

So far this sounds like a module would be hooking into page save and causing issues, but without knowing a bit more about your setup, that's just about all I can say. At this point it could be something entirely different too.

Hi Teppo, thanks for the reply.

It's running processwire 2.5.3, PHP version 5.4.

We're not using any modules outside of the core. There aren't any modules installed under the "Site" tab. 

The server is just a shared server with a reliable host i.e they're not a cheap hosting provider. They're running LiteSpeed web server on it.

The site itself is slushbrothers.com.au

Since you've isolated the problem to pages that contain repeater fields, that's where I'd focus (having ruled out the other usual suspects). Have you tested your site on a local/dev server? Do you get the same problems? Maybe its some field within the repeater? You could remove them one by one from the repeater and see if that changes things? Using massive images in the single image field? Just a couple of things to check out...

Are there any errors recorded in your PW logs btw?

• Like 1

Tested on local and it works without issue, I'm using the mac server app on local and the stats didn't show any noticable spoke in resource usage when saving the page.

There's no recent errors in the logs on either the cpanel or processwire log file...

I'm totally at a loss on what to do next...

Thanks to all that took the time to answer my calls for help!

This issue has been resolved. The fix was to upgrade the PHP version to 5.5.

Glad it is working now for you!

Your hosting company uses LiteSpeed and now PHP 5.5. It must have been a specific configuration problem there, because PW 2.5 is running fine on PHP 5.4.

Any chance we can get to know what problem it was they have solved with changing the PHP version?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it is working now for you!

Your hosting company uses LiteSpeed and now PHP 5.5. It must have been a specific configuration problem there, because PW 2.5 is running fine on PHP 5.4.

Any chance we can get to know what problem it was they have solved with changing the PHP version?

Sorry just got the usual spiel from them saying the CMS must have a bug with PHP 5.4 (which I know isn't the case as I have other hosting running that flavour without issue).

Thanks once again to everyone who took the time to respond!