vs Drupal 8

Osorio

Hi!
Has anyone tried the Drupal 8 beta yet, and can compare it to PW?
I was pretty much set on using PW for an upcoming project (A magazine website, lots of content with lots of interesting ways to connect it), but D8 doesn't sound so bad either, especially regarding RESTful Web Services and the possibility of adding a shopsystem (I gather that both are possible in PW, but more on a DIY basis? ^^)

However I personally really like PW, so if someone could point me to good  (defendable) reasons to choose it over D8, it would be much appreciated :)

I used Drupal 6 and 7 and also liked it. For awhile I was searching for a simple clean anbd easy CMS, tested modx and found a note about PW...

Changed to PW and I love it! No bloated html output and a awesome api.

Build websites and write modules is so easy with PW!

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Drupal 8 beta yet, and can compare it to PW?

Oh yes I used Drupal 6 and 7 for a while: compared to pw, drupal is bloatware and overkill.

Oh then why so many people are using it ? Drupal is followed by it's status quo and because

of it's huge plugin library. PW is chosen by ppl who want a cms/cmf engine stripped from all

the bloat and rules. PW gives all the power back into the hands of designers and coders.

Drupal modules / plugin have a good quality and most of it works fine out of the box, but I don't like to customize it or the generated html ooutput.

Processwire modules are often "proof of concept" examples and some work is to do if you would use it. PW isn't a CMS to use it out of the box, but it's the best CMF :)

• Like 1

I believe that OP was referring specifically to D8, and how it relates to PW. According to the Drupal team, they've changed a lot since D6-7, so I don't think it's such an unreasonable question to ask, and personally I'd love to hear some proper insights on the matter -- preferably from someone with solid D8 knowledge, not just past experiences with earlier versions :)

Taking a look at the D8 marketing materials, it seems like they're going to a good direction. Some of their new features I like, some I don't like, but in the context of Drupal they probably all make sense. Either way, it seems to me that much of what they've been adding ProcessWire, one way or another, already provides. The way they're touting HTML5, mobile first, etc. makes me think that the markup generation part, which is one of the biggest problems (in my opinion), might not have changed much either. 

The developer API and theming system still seem complicated to me, but I'm used to working with custom applications, application frameworks and ProcessWire specifically, so my views are probably biased. It also seems that these are very much separate entities, quite unlike how it works in ProcessWire, where the API is a key to everything, everywhere. Anyway, this is exactly why I'd love to hear some unbiased opinions :)

• Like 8

I believe that OP was referring specifically to D8, and how it relates to PW. According to the Drupal team, they've changed a lot since D6-7, so I don't think it's such an unreasonable question to ask, and personally I'd love to hear some proper insights on the matter -- preferably from someone with solid D8 knowledge, not just past experiences with earlier versions :)

Yep, OP was referring specifically to D8 :)

I tried D7 soon after its release, wasn't too thrilled by the experience (Found the theming experience appaling)

However the changes introduced with D8 seem to be pretty massive, and cover some really interesting stuff - especially the adoption of a php-framework and the support for webservices.

I suppose I'll just have to try it and see for myself ^^

• Like 3

D8 has Twig as the template-engine, which is a big plus over the old phptemplate engine. The default html-output will suffer less from div-itus and useless classes.

D8 is OO programmed, and uses the Symfony framework for some of its functions.

D8 looks to become a bit more complicated to program for than the previous versions.

D8 Some good modules a in core now (Views, Configuration management...)

Expect D8 version 1 in the first quart of 2015. Don expect to many contrib modules in the first 6 months after this release.