gim

Moving site to new host with TAR backup

Hello,

I have PW sites and I need to migrate to a new host; the host is requesting that I create a TAR backup of a site.  I don't have experience with this.  Can this be done?  How would I begin?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

They want you to create and upload a single TAR archive with the whole site? Do you have no FTP(ES) or SSH access?

You need to use a tar-archive software, what depends on your system where the site resides at the moment. (or you first download it from there to your local PC via FTP)

If you have a commandline util, google may be your friend to find the right params: https://www.google.com/search?q=tar+pack+directories+and+files

If you can use 7-zip, it lets you select from different output formats, including tar. (it seems to be mainly for windows but also has downloads for some linux distributions at the end of the download page)

Regardless of the tool, I think what is important is to check if the files and directories have the right permissions after unpacking at the new host, especially the assets folders!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nik Groningen
      Hi,
      Currently I'm developing a platform and use Processwire for some of the backend. Everything is working very well on localhost, but the installation on namecheap does not complete. I've read some comments on this forum that mentioned hosting on namecheap (without mentioning issues). 
      Attached is a screenshot of the last step of the installation. It looks very similar to the problem mentioned in this thread: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15516-processwire-do-not-complete-installation/. Unfortunately, this didn't help me. I also attached a picture of the server. In the error_log, i do get some error messages related to includes and requires like:
      [18-Jun-2020 03:42:32 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error:  require(): Failed opening required '/home/niklcicr/public_html/wire/config.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/php') in /home/niklcicr/public_html/wire/core/ProcessWire.php on line 1199
      On the last screen, the console outputs a internal server error 500.
      That's what I tried: Installation on another server (freeinfinity) and it worked fine, installation on another namecheap account (did not work), and I adjusted the .htaccess file according to other threads in this forum that had similar problems (did not work).
      Is there anyone who got Processwire to work on namecheap hosting or can point me in the right direction? 
      Thanks in advance,
      Nik

• By alanxptm
      Hi, I have already tried in different ways and many times to migrate but I always have issues at the end.
      Here's what I have done so far:

case 1:
      1. Install PW on live server (all normal)
      2. Import local DB into live DB
      3. Front page site seems to work but I cannot login into admin page
      case 2 (I'm currently on this stage):
      1. Copied all files from local to live server
      2. Import local DB into live empty DB
      3. Front page works, but any other page and admin page are 404

In both cases:
      - I have changed config.php info accordingly to live server (DB name, DB user and pwd, userauthsalt code)
      - Uncommented RewriteBase / and RewriteBase /pw/ lines on .htaccess
      - applied owner and group permissions to www-data for PW location
      - applied permissions to folders and files accordingly
      - applied a2enmod rewrite to apache2 on live server and restarted service

I have read some posts (Ryan's too) about migration and it seems to me that I'm doing it fine, don't know what it fails-
      I'm on VMWare machine, Ubuntu Server 18.04, php 7.2, phpMyAdmin 5.0.1
      Hope you can help me, thanks in advance
    • By flydev 👊🏻
      Current version: 1.3.14-ATO
      You can find the module on Github and in the modules directory :
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/duplicator/ https://github.com/flydev-fr/Duplicator/archive/master.zip  

Screenshots / Features
      Dir and files exclusion

CRON job

Advanced settings 

Local and Cloud storage

Changelog :

• By jaro
      This module (github) does with site/assets/files what Ryan's DatabaseBackups module does with the database:
      Backup site/assets Download ZIP archive Upload ZIP archive Restore site/assets Motivation: This module can be the missing part for projects with content backup responsibility on the client's side: The client will be able to download DB and assets/files snapshots through the backend without filesystem access, thus backing up all content themselves.
      Release state alpha – do not use in production environments.
      Credits for the nice UI go to @ryan – I reused most of it and some other code from the DatabaseBackups module.
    • By franciccio-ITALIANO
      Hi, I must change server provider.
      I don't want rewtrite all page and articles, what must I do?
      I download a database copy on my pc, and now?

Thanks!!