New site - works in dev browser nowhere else

Russell

Hi all,

Well I finally just moved my first proper Processwire site into live, after developing in MAMP on my iMac using Chrome to dev in. I loaded the site up in Chrome and it works fine, and I've edited some pages and have seen the edits applied when I reloaded the site.

However, upon further investigation, when trying Safari on the iMac, iPhone or iPad, it is giving the dreaded "Internal Server Error" message. So I tried running parallels for Windows 8, with IE and Chrome in Windows, and neither of them works either.

Why would chrome on iMac work, and nothing else? Is it some sort of Cache issue where my development browser is accessing cached data, and none of the other unused browser have this info?

My site has been implemented with PW 2.5.0 & the latest dev version of Kongondo's Blog.

Any suggestions where I need to look?

The site is http://maryvalecommunity.com if anyone wants a look.

Thanks.

Russell.

*edit*

Well this is odd. I setup a default PW install in a  sub-directory to the main site. when I test it, it works. Then after testing it, then going back to the above domain, that then works as well??

Can anyone explain this odd behaviour for me? Is it DNS caching? When I first put the main site up, it did have an error because I had mis-spelled my DB-User name. Maybe that version got pushed to DNS and the unused browsers are hitting an old version, or something like that?

Only the home page doesn't work. I tried http://maryvalecommunity.com/random and i had the 404 page with the navigation, then i went to the other pages using the navigation and they all worked, including the homepage when I went back to it. Now it always works. In inconito mode the same happens every time, if I go directly to the home, it doesn't work, but if I open any other page directly it works. Must be something with the cache, and only on your home template.

Edit: if I delete the "wire" cookie, the homepage stops working.

Thanks for testing. I hope this indicates something to someone, as I have no idea how to investigate that further. To move the site from my local machine to my server, I just zipped the whole structure and moved it to the server, as per the move tutorial in the documentation. Could there be some temporary files that went with the archive, that need to be cleaned when moving a site? If so, how do I do that?

*EDIT*

Browsing around the site files, I did find something odd, but am not sure this should affect anything. Under the /site/Modules folder, there is a Blog folder, but there is also a Applications/MAMP/htdocs/maryvalecommunity.com/site/modules/Blog which seems to be a second copy of the blog module, installed under my local dev site path, below the modules folder. I don't think this branch should be here, and I should be able to delete it with no effect, but maybe if the install is linking down there instead of the top level module, something screwy may happen? But the blog module is not my home page anyway, it's just a standard PW site at that level?

*EDIT2*

I moved that Applications/ tree away, no difference, so I guess that's not it.

*EDIT3*

Well I've tried tidying up stray files, removing cache files, and looking for odd files in strange places, all with no change. I'm stumped.

Yes I went through all if that before posting here, although with the number of permutations in .htaccess, I probably didn't try them all. However that's why I created a test site, to see if the standard .htaccess worked for me. Given the test site comes up fne, doesn't that mean the .htaccess isn't an issue?

I also compared the config.php between the two sites, and apart from the database login details, that looks the same too.

Odd indeed. Anything in the log file?

I would update the .htaccess and wire folder to original. Then getting desperate I would remove all code except an echo/die statement from the page template. If it works then it's prob something in the template code. Other than that, what modules are installed?

besides replacing the wire directory an htaccess, maybe also check your http hosts setting in config. (https://processwire.com/api/variables/config/)

also maybe empty the sessions out of assets, as well as any cache files that might be in there;

then disable modules one by one..

also install diagnostics module, and check your file/folder permissions

I can browse your site, even the homepage. Only thing is that the header image had to be loaded again when browsing to another page. But it should have been in the browser cache already because it is the same across the site. This points to come caching issues in my opinion.

I had strange issues one time, too. Not same as yours, though. Then I found that when zipping up the files/folders on my dev machine, the hidden files (starting with . ) did not get included in my zip file. Guess this is OS related to my Linux box.

You obviously have the .htaccess on the live server  and thus in your zip so this might not be the issue. But still you might want to check if all files ended up in your zip correctly. 

It is actually a different header image on each page, so that's not an issue as such, although I do need to correct it.

As for templates, there are a couple of different ones in use. I missed my coding window of opportunity for another day, so I'm on hold till I can get some programming time.

So, I finally have time to look at my issues. So I get on to check the page load again, and now it works. Try on a  different computer at a different location, and it works there as well. Seems it's corrected itself??? Sounds like a DNS issue to me. Why it would take so long to fix itself I don't understand. I'm not sure what else to think?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider it "resolved" for now, until something else proves otherwise.