Thanks for Procache and AIOM

Joss

The site I have just uploaded today, http://claysvehiclerepairs.uk is the first site I have done where the pressure was on to speed it up.

The site has a lot of graphics, it uses foundation which is far from lightweight, it has 890 or so pages (it has left Pete's sitemap module smouldering), various extra bits of JQuery going on like equal heights and is just big and weighty.

I managed to get it running fine, actually, and then I added AIOM and the site shook itself into a higher gear - very pleased indeed.

So Thanks to everyone involved with AIOM.

Then I gassed up procache, pulled the choke out and hit the start button.

The full roar of the ProCache 289 V8 with Holly double pumpers, slot change box and overcharger, thundered into action and the website just about catapulted itself out of the traps and round the internet track at lightning speed.

The difference was seriously noticeable.

And the result?

Page analysis says - &*$£king fast.

Mobile analysis says fast too, which considering what is going on is very pleasing.

So Thanks to to Ryan for making a CMS that is a joy to optimise with no secret stashes of rubbish to drag you to your needs and for a module that adds rocket fuel to the finished item.

Gertcha my son!

• Like 9

What, count?

Eats into my wine time!

All I will say is that the change of one page to another went from okay to not far off instant. 

With AIOM you notice the load becoming very clean - the code just runs straight through.

With Procache you notice the lack of MySQL. 

ProcessWire has one of the most efficient methods of calling and collating from a database, but is still has to do it - however well indexed. Procache simply takes that out of the process.

To be honest, I also have cloudflare in the mix which is helping the images and I have optimized images like mad by keeping the images as simple as possible so they survive squishing.

I have learned a lot with this one.

• Like 1

Joss, 

You mention that you also used Cloudfare to speed up load times. Can you tell a bit more about how do you manage/synchronize the files stored in assets and stored on Cloudfare? My has much longer load times outside of Europe, where the server is located, so I thought about adding a CDN. However, I am just not sure about the steps I need to take. 

Cheers, 

Cloudflare, in its most basic free version, which is what I am using, simply caches any assets, So you do not need to do any synchronising in that sense. 

during development you can simply bypass the caching or you can go to dev mode which does the same thing, but turns the caching back on after three hours. 

To a greater extent Cloudflare just works out of the box. The only thing I tend to change is 404 - Cloudflare has its own 404 system that brings up a site search, but that is branded as cloudflare unless you use one of the paid plans. However, you can just turn that bit off.

The best thing is to read through all their docs - they have a huge amount of things you can play with, even on the free version, including caching javascript, handing google analytics and so on.

• Like 2

I was always under the impression I had to manually upload the files I wanted to be cached on different servers around the globe.

Once you register your domain with them, they crawl your server for elements that they can cache for you. I use CloudFlare, too, and it's very good. And the free account is exactly the right price!

• Like 2

I have also found them pretty stable. They had a problem last year once or twice when they got hit by attacks and had some other issues, but that seems to have gone now and I haven't had any outages since then at all.

Previously I was with Zone Edit and I had problems with them all over the place.