List your 5 must have Modules!

PhotoWebMax

Like most newbies (I suspect) I am now exploring different Modules. To be honest some of them leave me wondering "how and when would I use this?"

I bet most of you have favorites, a few oft deployed modules, that you reach for most of the time. I wonder if the most used modules would be the same for most of you?

Anyways, I am interested (maybe others as well) in learning what modules you guys reach for most of the time...

Thanks!

• Like 7

Thumbnails

AdminThemeReno (unless that doesn't count ;))

AdminTemplateColumns (shameless plug, but I do use it a lot to arrange fields more neatly in the edit screen)

ProCache

Minify (because I just haven't got around to checking out All In One Minify yet :))

Those are the most commonly used for me, though that doesn't mean they're necessarily the most common ones I've been using recently - different projects mean different modules, but the top 4 there at least are my go-to modules for the majority of sites.

EDIT: And may I say, what a good idea for a topic!

I deliberately try not to use modules unless I need them. There really is a lot you can do with the core/API alone, so I tend to consider modules as convenient helpers, usually to cover for when my puny PHP skills don't suffice.

That being said, I recommend:

• Markup Simple Navigation – to dynamically generate almost any navigation structure
  • Map Marker (Google Maps) – if you ever need users to be able to generate Google Maps, this is a lifesaver
  • XML Sitemap – it's one of the basic SEO things, and no one should have to generate an XML sitemap manually
  • Language Field Tabs – as if multi-lingual sites weren't awesome enough in PW already, this makes it even better
  • Forgot Password (Core) – never, ever forget to install this; if a project has more than one user, someone will forget their password at some point
  • Like 2

That is the beauty of ProcessWire - you can do so much without a single extra module if you really want to. 

But I think the five that I tend to add first are things like:

• XML sitemap
  • Hanna code (I use it loads)
  • Procache
  • Lister
  • Soma's Help notes thingy
  • Like 2

I subscribe what yellowled said, so it's not easy to name them, but maybe these:

• Page Edit Soft Lock
  • Page Link Abstractor
  • Pagetree Add New Childs Reverse
  • Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo
  • Markup Sitemap XML

I use these modules in almost every project

• AIOM+
  • ProCache
  • HelperFieldLinks
  • ModulesManager
  • TextformatterMakeLinks

Really? Nobody uses ModulesManager anymore? 

Not in my Must-Have Top 5, but I find myself using these in many of my projects:

• Page List Pin
  • Template Stubs
  • Admin Save Actions
  • ProcessBatcher
  • Map Marker

I use these modules in almost every project

• AIOM+
  • ProCache
  • HelperFieldLinks
  • ModulesManager
  • TextformatterMakeLinks

Really? Nobody uses ModulesManager anymore? 

It's been a while since i last used ModulesManager. I think that most, if not all of it's functionality is already available by default in recent PW versions.

As said by @yellowled, best to use modules only when needed. In my case, I don't use AIOM, as my assets are pre-compiled.

Mine are:

• Redirector (also making my own, enhanced version - though, no time these days - you know how it goes...)
  • Database Backups
  • Diagnostics (all)
  • File Manager
  • Sitemap XML
  • Upgrades

For me, these are a must-have. I would add ProCache to that list, but I haven't purchased it as yet, as the built in cache system has been adequate for my sites. Keeping track of it though - looks like something I may need in the near future.

@yellowled: isn't Language Field Tabs part of the core now?

• Like 1

1. FieldtypeSelect
  2. ProcessPageDelete
  3. ProFields and ProCache (at least included in case I should need them)
  4. AdminThemeReno
  5. Language Field Tabs

I think I'm going to add the following to my default installation:

• Pagetree Add New Childs Reverse
  • Page Edit Soft Lock
  • XML sitemap
  • My SEO module
  • FomSaveReminder

​P.S.: Really interesting topic. 

• Like 1

Default:

ProcessPageDelete

ProcessGoogleAnalytics

ProcessWireUpgrade

Batcher

Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo

Paid:

ProCache

FormBuilder

ListerPro

Really surprised that Google Analytics hasn't been mentioned before. Clients really love it!