Strange Internal Server Error

einsteinsboi

My processwire site had been working just fine. Today I was doing some edits, added a couple of users, and was making a copy of a module to play around with the code when the site started acting funny. I never got to install or activate the modified module because  first the module admin page kept redirecting to my sites 404 page. Then the whole site started delivering an internal server error (500).  I deleted my custom module folder but that didn't help. I checked the processwire site/assets/logs/error.txt file but nothing there.  The cpanel error log also seems to show nothing there.

I have opened a support ticket with my hosting company and this is what they've come back with:

I have looked over this and it seems like the script you have there is ending execution prematurely. Upon a closer look we have noticed that multiple script related files are missing, such as theme files:
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/AdminThemeDefault.php", 0x7fff1ad9eb60) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/AdminThemeDefault.php", 0x7fff1ad9e980) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/AdminThemeDefault.php", 0x7fff1ad9eb90) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/AdminThemeDefault.php", 0x7fff1ad9ebe0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/14fk4pd5jgte0811d.php", 0x7fff1ad9ebe0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/modules/PageRender.info.php", 0x7fff1ad9f380) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/modules/PageRender.info.json", 0x7fff1ad9f380) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 
stat("/home/thecodin/public_html/mnz/wire/core/PageRender.php", 0x7fff1ad9eb70) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Anyone have any ideas? None of these files look familar to me. I have uncompressed and checked my last backup and they weren't there, and they're not in the original PW 2.5 download folder as far as I can tell. So how can they be missing?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Can't reproduce the error notices, but when I asked them where they got the errors from they say it's output from a trace command.  They're also suggesting it's something wrong with the software (i.e. processwire) because when they try to execute index.php directly they get a segmentation error?

Might be worth opening https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire and comparing your index.php to the original.

Thanks DaveP, have done that and the two are identical. None of my core files show as having been modified from the date modified field, and my access logs don't show anyone else accessing the server but my IP address. So I wonder what else could be going on

I believe segmentation errors are related to the server? Don't really know since I've barely scratched that surface. What command do they run to get these errors? 

What pages (on the front-end) give the Internal Server Error? Try disabling your .htaccess and see if the homepage works.

• Like 2

So they seem to have fixed it by changing the PHP version... I still don't get why it was working one second and then down the next though.  Here's the message they've sent me:

I was able to resolve the issue on your site by adjusting it to run under PHP5.4. It looks like the issue was due to the php version, indication from the segmentation fault which is by definition an unhandled error most likely related to PHP and the set environment on the account.

I'm not sure what version of PHP they changed from but have asked them. 

• Like 3

That's strange... weird that two completely unrelated PW installs decided to go wonky at the same time... When you say the same errors do you mean the ones with the missing files that never existed in the first place?  All my other PW installs are fine and dandy, only this one decided to barf and barf hard it did.

Greetings,

I had exactly the same errors around the same time that einsteinsboi posted here. It got me concerned, but within an hour it resolved itself. Not sure what that was about.

Should this be a concern?

Thanks,
Matthew

Hi einsteinsboi,

It still would be nice to what your hostingcompany did to produce those errors. What did they exactly trace and how they did it?

It seems like the server had some issues with the directory structure since no ProcessWire file by default calls those functions as far I know. 

• Like 1

Greetings,

Yes -- same error, same time. And yes, references to files that never existed. It happened for me in the admin area just after I confirmed the deletion of a couple of fields.

Is it possible we're on the same server?

The problem resolved, but I am concerned about what it means that it happened at all.

Thanks,

Matthew

Hi einsteinsboi,

It still would be nice to what your hostingcompany did to produce those errors. What did they exactly trace and how they did it?

It seems like the server had some issues with the directory structure since no ProcessWire file by default calls those functions as far I know. 

Yeah they wouldn't tell me exactly, just that it was the output of a trace command, so not sure. Looks like Matthew got the exact same errors in the admin area  :huh:

Greetings,

Yes -- same error, same time. And yes, references to files that never existed. It happened for me in the admin area just after I confirmed the deletion of a couple of fields.

Is it possible we're on the same server?

The problem resolved, but I am concerned about what it means that it happened at all.

Thanks,

Matthew

Possibly. This particular website is on Site5 on one of their Sydney servers. What hosting are you on?  I thought it was a weird glitch on my end but the fact that you got those same exact errors does make me a tad more concerned...  I'm running PW 2.5 and the non-core modules I have installed are Map Marker, Form Builder, Map Markup, Markup Simple Navigation, Page Edit Field Permission, and Page Edit Per User.